• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Went to an estate auction tonight in rural Indiana.

69 posts in this topic

It was certainly FUN. I'm still thrilled at being at the event. The Action #2 and Detective #2 were very desirable. I wasn't interested in paying near FMV at an auction out in the cornfields. Also, just not the direction my collecting is going in these days.

The DC30 was nearly completely split at the spine with long tears and mildewy. At $500, it was a good price. Once again, if I continued bidding, the price would have easily doubled without me wining.

The Detective Comics #1 is on the market.

Buy It Now price $25,000

Auction House purchase price $18,000 x 7% sales tax = $19260

Market value $9-12K

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Comics-First-ever-Comic-Detective-Comics-Vol-1-March-1937-/290636127185?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item43ab435bd1

Seller is an auto dealer. Perhaps not that experienced in selling comics.

I was talking to a friend of the family today about the auction. He made an excellent suggestion.

Take a box of junk next time. Leave it in the trunk. When the auction is over, go up to the guy that is throwing away money and ask him, "I have some comics in my car. Would you like to take a look?"

Not a bad idea hm

+1

Actually, all kidding aside, this is a great way to find a buyer for anything you have to sell. I basically did exactly this about two years ago.

Went to a nearby estate auction that was featuring comic books. They had a couple dozen GA and a whole table full of stacks of SA books. The SA books were nothing special, the stacks were about 12-20 comics each. A friend and I put the best stacks at about $50-60 max. One bidder won first choice of the stacks at something around a $75 bid. Instead of taking just the one or two best stacks, he took them all at that price (about 20 stacks!). Btw, it wasn't just me and my friend, there were about a half dozen collectors there, the same crowd that I'm used to seeing at auctions in WI with comics.

I forget what the GA stuff was, but this same bidder walked away with just about everything, usually paying well over guide.

Anyway, as luck would have it, I happened to meet the bidder while having a smoke. I had just gone through a divorce at the time and was considering selling my collection, so I asked him if he was interested.

Long story short, I ended up selling him the collection. He seemed to know what he was doing and spent several hours going through it. He told me he had been buying collections for decades and even that he had buyers lined up for some pieces of it. Still, he paid about 3X what I would have expected any dealer or other bulk buyer to offer, and a price that it would have taken me literally years to achieve piece meal and even then I'm not sure I could have gotten this much.

Like I said, he seemed to know what he was doing and he'd apparently been making money off comics and other collectibles for years, I just don't get how. How do you pay top retail and still make money?

The Detective Comics #1 is on the market.

Buy It Now price $25,000

Auction House purchase price $18,000 x 7% sales tax = $19260

Market value $9-12K

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Comics-First-ever-Comic-Detective-Comics-Vol-1-March-1937-/290636127185?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item43ab435bd1

3 offers made on the book. Anyone here?

always nice to see a person spend ~20k for an item he wants to flip, especially when said person also admits he knows nothing about the market in his auction listing