• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One single moment in your life...

49 posts in this topic

The hour my son was born

+1 nothing has bring so much joy, warmth, love, and happiness to my life compared to that one hour when I was helping out in the OP. Nothing else mattered at that moment and nothing can replicate that moment.

Relive to experience again or fix?
Only to relive, if you change anything you stay there to relive from that point on
I've always wanted to relive to fix one point of my life, when I folded because of peer pressure and that was to help a troubled girl I really liked in high school. Ever since, hearing of her suicide days later, my life feels like I died right along with her through my social cowardice, and it feels like almost like I'm living Ambrose Bierce's An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" (sometimes called "An Incident at Owl Creek Bridge"), and life is gonna catch with me eventually. I just always wanted to relive that moment on the bus when I stared at the three girls savagely beating on her(a couple before...) and how just sat there afraid of losing my bus privileges(fate, put me on that particular moment in time and most likely was supposed to be my big hero moment) if I acted with my heart. Maybe, she would have known someone actually cared. :(

That's probably the most profound post I've read.

I've relived that day for most of my adult life wondering if I could of have made a difference. It's my own private Hell, what I did and if I ever did go back... I would have got past my bus driver and cut through those girls like they weren't there and scooped her up and took her to the office, risking all my bus privileges and ISS suspensions they could throw at me. I can still remember her thick reddish blonde red hair, how she wore the baggiest corduroy overalls, how kind she was to people while working in the office despite being bullied constantly. I guess that moment of not doing anything really defines me the most and has affected many relationships of mine since. I guess, my only closure was that I couldn't help my last girlfriend Jen either(from herself), despite trying to move the world for her. So maybe, I would have failed with Megan too. :(

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-8250623.html

I don't have many regrets, I would relieve last Friday and win the lottery or something like that!
Doesn't have to be regrets, something totally cool you'ved experienced that you would not mind reliving one more time

There are a few moments I'd like to relieve, but to tell you the truth I think If I ever did went to the past it would be to make a change instead of remembering something.

Memory is such a tricky thing, maybe that special moment I wish I could relieve wasn't THAT special in person, it's the memory of itself and it's ramifications that make it this special.

That being said I wouldn't want to see any dead relatives either, it would be torture if it was just for an hour :(

The hour my son was born

+1 nothing has bring so much joy, warmth, love, and happiness to my life compared to that one hour when I was helping out in the OP. Nothing else mattered at that moment and nothing can replicate that moment.

Definitely the birth of my child - when the doc placed him in my arms for the first time - just a wonderful moment.

Memory is a bit tricky, kind of reminds me of a Robin Williams movie where he thought he left somebody for dead, and that moment haunted him, he later found out that that person was alive...now the story posted here, is way deep, I was left speechless. I didn't think anyone would post something as strong as life or death in their life desicions

Relive to experience again or fix?
Only to relive, if you change anything you stay there to relive from that point on
I've always wanted to relive to fix one point of my life, when I folded because of peer pressure and that was to help a troubled girl I really liked in high school. Ever since, hearing of her suicide days later, my life feels like I died right along with her through my social cowardice, and it feels like almost like I'm living Ambrose Bierce's An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" (sometimes called "An Incident at Owl Creek Bridge"), and life is gonna catch with me eventually. I just always wanted to relive that moment on the bus when I stared at the three girls savagely beating on her(a couple before...) and how just sat there afraid of losing my bus privileges(fate, put me on that particular moment in time and most likely was supposed to be my big hero moment) if I acted with my heart. Maybe, she would have known someone actually cared. :(

That's probably the most profound post I've read.

I've relived that day for most of my adult life wondering if I could of have made a difference. It's my own private Hell, what I did and if I ever did go back... I would have got past my bus driver and cut through those girls like they weren't there and scooped her up and took her to the office, risking all my bus privileges and ISS suspensions they could throw at me. I can still remember her thick reddish blonde red hair, how she wore the baggiest corduroy overalls, how kind she was to people while working in the office despite being bullied constantly. I guess that moment of not doing anything really defines me the most and has affected many relationships of mine since. I guess, my only closure was that I couldn't help my last girlfriend Jen either(from herself), despite trying to move the world for her. So maybe, I would have failed with Megan too. :(

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-8250623.html

Wow - your story is a reality check. I'm extremely saddened, yet inspired at the same time to do good things when the opportunities present themselves. Thanks for sharing.

That moment of weakness has haunted me for eighteen years.

Truth be told how many of us would've helped her?

If it's not our fight we usually won't risk ourselves (unless we have time to think things through and do it from a sense of compassion or guilt).

You're just human, in my opinion tehre's no such thing as Bruce Waynes, everyone does stuff that they regret.

You're not a bad person for that, as much as I hate to admit it I would probably looked the other way too ...

One night my wife and were sharing a long kiss shortly after we became a couple. I remember feeling there was something different about this one, that there was something special about it. When we parted she looked up at me and said, "Wow" and I knew she also noticed it.

That's where I would like to go :cloud9:

One night my wife and were sharing a long kiss shortly after we became a couple. I remember feeling there was something different about this one, that there was something special about it. When we parted she looked up at me and said, "Wow" and I knew she also noticed it.

That's where I would like to go :cloud9:

Interesting..., when I met my future wife, it was love at first sight. Not so much for her, as she had been recently jilted, as was suspicious....,

If it's not our fight we usually won't risk ourselves (unless we have time to think things through and do it from a sense of compassion or guilt).

You're just human, in my opinion tehre's no such thing as Bruce Waynes, everyone does stuff that they regret.

You're not a bad person for that, as much as I hate to admit it I would probably looked the other way too ...

The whole fate part of riding that bus was cosmic as well. I felt, it was me destined to save her that day. In the beginning, the middle and high school kids, got brought to the elementary school before the little kids got let out and after another bus transfer we all rode home together. But...

One day, I got to my bus first and saw there was a kid's doll in the seat I usually sat in. I have a fear of dolls. I'm literally scared to death of them for some reason, especially the bigger ones like the one before me. I meant to take up to the driver(who was in the bathroom in the school at the time), but instead I just couldn't handle it properly and dropped it a couple seats in front of me. Well, more kids started to come on and the thing was chucked all around, until it hit the troublesome kids who burned it with lighters and cut off all it's hair within 10 minutes of the little kids being let out. Thelma, the bus driver was getting pieces of it when the little girl owner came up to the bus to reclaim it and just went into shock. Needlessly, to say the superintendents banned us from riding with the little kids ever again(we were called sick monsters). All the middle/high school buses felt this punishment too. With made everyone ninety minutes later getting home from then on.

Flash-forward almost a year later. By all estimations, I should not have been stuck in a gridlock of high school buses fighting to make a left on a busy road, if I gave the doll to the driver. But, there I was with the same bus driver even watching a group of girls attack a girl whom I had a crush on, because like her I was having difficulty with bullies. I was stabbed, slashed and a vehicle hit me(not randomly) in a cold school that was driving me to off myself as the many others. But, I was getting bigger and tougher. My heart started swelling up with this moment of making a difference and I got ready to make life difficult for parents(suspension and parental conference), when I realized I just couldn't ruin my long distant bus transportation method. But, watching her plead with cars going around the buses, reaching her hand out, while getting kicked all over(those girls never got into any kind of trouble). I knew I was gonna help this girl on Monday. I looked away, shutting my eyes as tight as I could. I was the last time I saw her alive. But, I remember that day, like it was yesterday, reliving it over and over again in the back of my head, how things at that sucky school could have changed if I acted.

I guess, if I had to chose between returning the doll or helping Megan, I would have saved Megan, if I could go back. We were destined to meet that way, that day. I just can't fathom reliving anything without trying to change something for the better, if I zigged, when I should have zagged. I read how everyone's favorite moments are meeting their wives or the birth of their children and that makes me envy you guys so much, as I too want a happy moment to look back on and not one to wallow in self-pity. But, like I said before, it showed me exactly who I was, by playing stuff way too safe at the expense of others. For eighteen years, I have been zagging in a limbo of social anxiety with my relationships.

So if I could relive one single moment in my life...

...I would make the wrong things right.

I wouldn't, but then again it's always been in my nature to act first, think later. If there's anyone to blame for that girl's suicide, it would be the bus driver ( if I correctly understood she was getting beat up in the bus), the school and the parents of the aggressors.

I wouldn't, but then again it's always been in my nature to act first, think later. If there's anyone to blame for that girl's suicide, it would be the bus driver ( if I correctly understood she was getting beat up in the bus), the school and the parents of the aggressors.

I would think that the only person to blame for that girl's suicide would be that girl.

I would think that the only person to blame for that girl's suicide would be that girl.

...when pushed to the brink...

It was outside of the fleet of buses trapped in traffic headed for the middle school. Just chaotic as detention kids were being picked up on the way home as teachers were leaving.

It was outside of the fleet of buses trapped in traffic headed for the middle school. Just chaotic as detention kids were being picked up on the way home as teachers were leaving.

A similar incident occurred in Portugal a few months ago along with the recorded video of the assault being promoted on YouTube. Needless to say, all individuals involved ( the aggressors as well as the one who recorded and subsequently uploaded the video) felt the strong arm of the law. If the aggressors in your case went unpunished, then my finger still points to the school and the parents for not having dealt with the situation accordingly.