• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Little Help? ASM #28

18 posts in this topic

I've come into a very nice copy of ASM #28 from the comic lady as a "thank you" for assisting with the work on her father's collection up to this point (a little background for those new to the subject can check it out here ).

My intention is to submit this book to one of the Stan Lee signings this year, from that I hope to attain at least a share (but preferably be in sole possession) of the lead for a SS copy of this issue which is currently listed on the census as an 8.5.

I think I have a good candidate but it's going to be very close and I would appreciate some opinions from the community. The photos are unedited and are taken at an angle to reduce light glare from the reflectivity of the cover (a good problem to have). A symptom of this can actually be seen at the bottom of the front cover, that is not color rub or anything adhered to the paper but merely from the flash of the camera.

ASM28002.jpg

ASM28001.jpg

It's a really nice book, but I'm having trouble seeing it as even close to 8.5. Spine wear (count the breaks) and the top edge crease will take it out of the running. I'd guess somewhere in the 6.5/7.0 range.

You may be right but I'm hoping the quality of the photos is just making it look worse than it is. As tough as dark colored books are to find in high grade I think :wishluck: the pictures may be accentuating the flaws even more than they show in a naked eye view, but I understand that any input will only be a reflection of what I'm able to show. Admittedly I'm not thrilled with the representation but it's the best I can muster with the resources I have available.

Comparatively speaking it looks much stronger than the AF 15 I posted several months ago which ended up grading a 6.5, that is to say they had a similar pattern of detriments but the AF 15's were much more pronounced (deeper stress lines on the spine, more egregious edge wear, blunted corners and not nearly as glossy a cover).

I will of course refresh this thread when it's graded with the results just as I did with the AF 15 and JIM 83 that the community was so great at helping with. (worship)

You may be right but I'm hoping the quality of the photos is just making it look worse than it is. As tough as dark colored books are to find in high grade I think :wishluck: the pictures may be accentuating the flaws even more than they show in a naked eye view, but I understand that any input will only be a reflection of what I'm able to show. Admittedly I'm not thrilled with the representation but it's the best I can muster with the resources I have available.

Comparatively speaking it looks much stronger than the AF 15 I posted several months ago which ended up grading a 6.5, that is to say they had a similar pattern of detriments but the AF 15's were much more pronounced (deeper stress lines on the spine, more egregious edge wear, blunted corners and not nearly as glossy a cover).

I will of course refresh this thread when it's graded with the results just as I did with the AF 15 and JIM 83 that the community was so great at helping with. (worship)

Yep, I hear what you're saying re the photos... in fact, looking at it on my office monitor vs my home monitor, it does look a bit better.

Good luck! My money's on 7.0 but for your sake I hope it's higher. (thumbs u

compare it with mine. off-white pages. cover is black and glossy except for obvious problem areas. the CGC case is just making it look weird. after i get a couple of guesses on my grade and how people compare it with yours, i'll tell you what i got.7lrqE.jpg