• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oldest signed comic book?

31 posts in this topic

Can you post a pic of your Tec 6 SS? :cloud9:

2011-09-19_09-57-35_455.jpg

bought it from metro as a cgc 3.0. FFB made a post about a month after i got the book, saying he was gonna meet craig flessel. he made an open invitation to anyone with flessel books. i inboxed him. i didn't have a car at the time, so my father (R.I.P.) drove me from pasadena to san francisco (6 hour drive), then waited for me while 4 of us went to craig's home. while there, FFB mentioned one of the guys was a cgc witness and would i like to get my book cgc'd. I WAS SHOCKED. i was just hoping to get the book signed raw, never thought of cgc. so, yeah, i'm always grateful to FFB for that, esp since he knew it meant his detective would no longer be the oldest signed (then again, he's got frank miller artwork). also, this book was signed almost 70 after it came out.

after getting this book signed, i decided to get a detective book signed from every decade. so, the 40's would be next:

2011-09-19_09-57-51_181.jpg

i bought this book raw off metro as a 4.0 for $225. i was a little worried about it coming back with resto, but alas, none. in fact, it came back 2 grades higher than i paid for!!! as with the 'tec #6, the placement on the signature is perfect.

sometime within the next 4-6 months, i'm gonna buy a 50's era book and get that signed.

Very cool story!

your Tec#6 is awesome :headbang:

thank you. sometimes i'm still shocked it's my book. the memories that come with the book actually mean more than the book itself though (though the book means a lot)

This Colossus Comics #1 used to be mine. Vintage signed by all of the artists/writers as a gift to the publisher's son.

colossus.jpg

How long ago did you have that, Archiefan? I had that copy for a couple years and sold it quite awhile back. That is one of the *few* books I have ever regretted letting go. :sorry:

From my lousy attempt at a web page in 12/01. http://web.archive.org/web/20011202143204/http://www.offbeat-archives.com/

Very cool! I suspect your Detective #6 and FFB's Detective #10 might be the earliest comics signed by a creator at the dawn of the GA! I doubt there were many (any?) creators from the 1930s around when CGC started the SS (when did the SS start?).

Sounds like it was a great experience/memory for you. Would've loved to have met Creig - he created some of my favorite GA cvrs.

I've seen that Colossus before - that's a very unique comic that needs no SS slab!

Creig was a delight that day. I especially liked it when FFB spotted an adventure picture book on Creig's bookshelf from FFB's childhood. Turned out Creig had done the illustrations. A very cool discovery.

I had some Super Comics from 1939-1940 timeframe that seemed to be signed by one of the artists. I thought it was just the previous owner's signature from 70 years ago but when researching them I spotted the name in the credits on comics.org.

Back then, FFB had mentioned setting up a meeting with Crieg - now I wished I'd taken him up on the offer.

The only books I can think of (non-SS) that might be as early or earlier are the Eldon books (I have an early Comics Magazine, but I think there were some early Detectives), and I think I have some books from Claire S Moe with her signature (don't recall company or year).

This Colossus Comics #1 used to be mine. Vintage signed by all of the artists/writers as a gift to the publisher's son.

colossus.jpg

How long ago did you have that, Archiefan? I had that copy for a couple years and sold it quite awhile back. That is one of the *few* books I have ever regretted letting go. :sorry:

That goes back to 2004 or so. I think I may have gotten this from you actually. I'm pretty sure of it. Just like you I regret parting with it.

Creig was a delight that day. I especially liked it when FFB spotted an adventure picture book on Creig's bookshelf from FFB's childhood. Turned out Creig had done the illustrations. A very cool discovery.

I had some Super Comics from 1939-1940 timeframe that seemed to be signed by one of the artists. I thought it was just the previous owner's signature from 70 years ago but when researching them I spotted the name in the credits on comics.org.

wasn't he? but really, at that time, all 3 of you astounded me, what with your knowledge and collections. my only wish is that i had the money i have now then, because i would have loved to have bought some of his original works.

1940. Pretty much a Chicago area publication I believe as many of the writers/artists that I was able to trace were based there

That's exactly what I came up with. I wish I could find the email I received from the original owner when I got it. Did I send you a copy of it when you bought the book? If not, I am going to have to do some searching so I can get the story in his own words. That book was my crown jewel til it went to you. It obviously went to the right home seeing as you also enjoyed it as much as I did.