• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alan Moore SS on ebay starting at .99!

124 posts in this topic

Ouch

What is there to say "ouch" about? That is right where that book should have landed, and a little bit higher than I would have thought. It is a dollar bin book with an Alan Moore sig. Great sale for BK and a great pickup by the purchaser.

If the ouch is because people were pimping them for thousands, then I have to laugh. The market has spoken on these books and the demand appears to be robust. But no one is dropping 5gs on one. lol

There are so many variables on what makes people bid.

If it were a Killing Joke, or a Watchmen #1 or V #1 or another more memorable cover the price might have doubled.

I totally agree. Especially if you are talking about a 9.6 or higher on one of the above mentioned books. There are 3 key variables to any Signature Series book: who signed it, what got signed, and the grade.

Ouch

What is there to say "ouch" about? That is right where that book should have landed, and a little bit higher than I would have thought. It is a dollar bin book with an Alan Moore sig. Great sale for BK and a great pickup by the purchaser.

If the ouch is because people were pimping them for thousands, then I have to laugh. The market has spoken on these books and the demand appears to be robust. But no one is dropping 5gs on one. lol

Ouch for what I'M paying for a lesser Alan Moore SS.

Ouch

I have to agree with Sean here. The earlier dollar amounts thrown out for these books were nothing more than pure greed. It is nice to see somebody who was willing to start one of these books at $0.99 with no reserve.

What most of you are unaware of is that several key books have already sold to multiple buyers for over $3000 each. I know Richie has already turned down over $5000 for his Killing Joke. Of course it depends on the book and grade as Chris has stated. These were private sales off the board. I will respect their privacy and not divulge the buyers, the books or the sellers, because it is irrelevant. Real prices have been realized.

No doubt Brian, the right book to the right buyer is priceless given the scarcity. Add to that combinations of signatures with Moore, and the right book in the right grade and you can throw out every other comp, because they don't apply.

What most of you are unaware of is that several key books have already sold to multiple buyers for over $3000 each. I know Richie has already turned down over $5000 for his Killing Joke. Of course it depends on the book and grade as Chris has stated. These were private sales off the board. I will respect their privacy and not divulge the buyers, the books or the sellers, because it is irrelevant. Real prices have been realized.

I would have taken 5gs for the 9.9 KJ

I must really be out of touch with SS reality. Does Alan Moore move in with them for that price?

I must really be out of touch with SS reality. Does Alan Moore move in with them for that price?

There is virtually no sig I would pay that kind of money for (not even a Byrne sig), is Moore that much of an icon??

I think that the market would dictate several things for various prices.

Would a Watchmen #1 9.8 s/s Moore get the same price as a V for Vendetta #9?

Or a V for Vendetta #1?

Doubtful.

The #9 book is a B.S. book, there's no real demand, except for the Moore signature.

Put that same signature on a KEY book, you've got a different ball game.

However, I'd like to take a look at some other "insane" prices.

Is it anymore insane to get, say, $2550 for a Harbinger #1 9.8 (blue label)

Or....

Iron Man #128 CGC 9.8 for $2025?

Iron Man #118 CGC 9.8 for $850

OMG, how about $1200+ for a 9.8 s/s SANDMAN #1 signed by Sam Keith?

THAT’S not crazy? Sandman #1 books are all over the place!

But it's happened.

And there were way more Sam Keith books then Alan Moore and Keith is NOWHERE near as important as Alan Moore.

How about $2500 for a 9.6 copy of Bone #1?

It's only a 9.6 for crying out loud. Not even a 9.8

How about $875 for a Walking Dead #1 CGC 9.8 blue label or even $1250 for a yellow label of the same book?

I wouldn't pay that kind of money....and there are a lot more Walking Dead #1 in 9.8 out there then there are Alan Moore s/s.

Is it just as crazy to realize $3K for a Robert Crumb s/s? And that’s not even a 9.8

It's happened. And there are LESS Crumb books out there then there are Alan Moore.

And how about Stan Lee s/s? Good grief, they're EVERYWHERE and yet a Stan Lee s/s book commands way more then a blue label of the same book.

In any market isn't that insane? But it happens.

Let's look at today's prices on these above books (sans Walking Dead...which I've seen people pay $500 for RAW copies which I think is insane. But that's my opinion now, isn't it? It's happening though. Just because I wouldn't pay that doesn't mean someone else won't. And they do. Lots of them.)

Harby #1, Iron Man #118, 128 are all easily attainable as more and more have come out onto the market. Bone #1 CGC 9.6 recent sale $1743 this year.

Sure, there aren't that many high-grade copies, but it's not a $2500 book any longer either.

Harby #1 is now a $400 book! But when there was only one or two, it fetched $2500 at a time.

Hell, it saw those figures when there were EIGHT of them out there!

The pages weren't lined with gold or crack, but that was the demand.

Iron Man #128....I couldn't get $500 for that book on the boards.

But I was able to realize over $2000 outside the boards and then over $1000 each on my next THREE copies. You'll never see that money today.

Frazetta s/s books....these have dried UP but I know big money is still being seen on those books. And there are way, WAY more of those out there (just not on the market...hence the demand).

Daredevil #168 was once a $3300 book in 9.8. Now it's less then $600 (blue label).

If you told me someone was asking $3300 for a 9.8 copy of that book today, I'd ask if it came with a mirror and a razor to cut the coke you were doing.

But that's what these books were getting when there was only one or two, and these were buyers who HAD to know that eventually there would be more cps out there, sooner rather then later. They just needed to be sought out.

Can't say the same for Alan Moore s/s

It took YEARS to get this to happen, and in the words of another dealer on the boards, who at SDCC was overheard to say

"Alan Moore? It'll never happen."

Is it any less insane to realize MULTIPLES of what Brian said the Moore books sold for...if there was a Ditko on the market?

It would happen. Regardless of the book, I'm 100% it would happen.

If Brian had a B.S. copy of some Ditko back up story in say, Pacific Presents or Rocketeer or even a ROM #75 and it was 9.8 and Ditko s/s, it would go for crazy money. If it was a spider-man book, even crazier. A KEY book that Ditko worked on? Forget about it.

Alan Moore s/s isn’t exactly falling out of the sky, and the buyers of these books know and understand that.

There probably won't be more Alan Moore s/s books flooding the market anytime soon. There were 37 done, of which maybe half of that at best might float around the market. Maybe.

And the buyers that paid the money Brian made mention of will more then likely keep them in their collection, and they will never see the light of day.

So now that brings that number of potential Alan Moore s/s down even more.

Alan Moore was one of the last great White Whales, an iconic writer who changed the face of our hobby. The prices realized privately were probably for very serious books, not a V for Vendetta #9 that nobody really cares about. (no offense, BK).

And guess what...there's going to be just a spit ball drop of Stephen King books in s/s after next week. Less then EIGHT will possibly float the market. Maybe.

And King was THE last great White Whale to be harpooned.

What will market/demand be on those books?

Unless you count Ditko, but you really shouldn't because that probably won't happen. And another attempt at Ditko was recently made with very generous money offered.

I want to give an example regarding "demand" and some of these signatures, citing the recent Stephen King.

At this event, one woman offered to sell her ticket for $2000.

Her signing TICKET. Because THATS what it would take to get it out of her hands.

No joke.

Of course it didn't sell at that money, but that was her price.

Others wanted $200, 500 & $800 JUST for their signing tickets.

AND they were SELLING.

50 Harlan Ellisons

50 Sam Keith

37 Alan Moore

Less then EIGHT Stephen King (available....12 were done)

7 Robert Crumb.

3 John Waters

The truth is, you have to be willing to walk away from these boards to see real money/value for a lot of this stuff. And that's not intended to be an insult, so please don't read into it that way. It's just a fact...and if the market demands any of the numbers realized for any of these books, it's typically elsewhere then here.

It was a good year for Signature Series this year, and there were several desirable creators on s/s label for the first time.

People on these boards lost their MINDS when they found out there was an Alan Moore s/s and some were LIVID that they weren't included.

You know why?

Because this was one of the single most coveted signature series opps in s/s history. Hands down.

They lost their minds because everyone wanted one, nobody had one, and they KNOW the value of these books.

It's not a stretch to see over $3K on some of these books, because buyers outside these boards know and understand the same thing that board members who didn't get in on this understand.

Everybody wants one, and with good reason.

The scarcity of the s/s and even more scarcity of the KEY books in the s/s Alan Moore...dictates the demand.

Don't be fooled by a 9.8 s/s V for Vendetta #9.

You can't get romantic on a subway line.

Conductor don't like it, says you're wastin' your time.

But ev'rybody wants some.

I want some too.

Ev'rybody wants some.

Baby, how 'bout you?

I seen a lotta people lookin' for a moonbeam.

Yeah, ya spent a lot. ya got lost in the jet-stream.

But ev'rybody wants some.

I want some too.

Ev'rybody wants some.

Baby, how 'bout you?

I think that the market would dictate several things for various prices.

Would a Watchmen #1 9.8 s/s Moore get the same price as a V for Vendetta #9?

Or a V for Vendetta #1?

Doubtful.

The #9 book is a B.S. book, there's no real demand, except for the Moore signature.

Put that same signature on a KEY book, you've got a different ball game.

However, I'd like to take a look at some other "insane" prices.

Is it anymore insane to get, say, $2550 for a Harbinger #1 9.8 (blue label)

Or....

Iron Man #128 CGC 9.8 for $2025?

Iron Man #118 CGC 9.8 for $850

OMG, how about $1200+ for a 9.8 s/s SANDMAN #1 signed by Sam Keith?

THAT’S not crazy? Sandman #1 books are all over the place!

But it's happened.

And there were way more Sam Keith books then Alan Moore and Keith is NOWHERE near as important as Alan Moore.

How about $2500 for a 9.6 copy of Bone #1?

It's only a 9.6 for crying out loud. Not even a 9.8

How about $875 for a Walking Dead #1 CGC 9.8 blue label or even $1250 for a yellow label of the same book?

I wouldn't pay that kind of money....and there are a lot more Walking Dead #1 in 9.8 out there then there are Alan Moore s/s.

Is it just as crazy to realize $3K for a Robert Crumb s/s? And that’s not even a 9.8

It's happened. And there are LESS Crumb books out there then there are Alan Moore.

And how about Stan Lee s/s? Good grief, they're EVERYWHERE and yet a Stan Lee s/s book commands way more then a blue label of the same book.

In any market isn't that insane? But it happens.

Let's look at today's prices on these above books (sans Walking Dead...which I've seen people pay $500 for RAW copies which I think is insane. But that's my opinion now, isn't it? It's happening though. Just because I wouldn't pay that doesn't mean someone else won't. And they do. Lots of them.)

Harby #1, Iron Man #118, 128 are all easily attainable as more and more have come out onto the market. Bone #1 CGC 9.6 recent sale $1743 this year.

Sure, there aren't that many high-grade copies, but it's not a $2500 book any longer either.

Harby #1 is now a $400 book! But when there was only one or two, it fetched $2500 at a time.

Hell, it saw those figures when there were EIGHT of them out there!

The pages weren't lined with gold or crack, but that was the demand.

Iron Man #128....I couldn't get $500 for that book on the boards.

But I was able to realize over $2000 outside the boards and then over $1000 each on my next THREE copies. You'll never see that money today.

Frazetta s/s books....these have dried UP but I know big money is still being seen on those books. And there are way, WAY more of those out there (just not on the market...hence the demand).

Daredevil #168 was once a $3300 book in 9.8. Now it's less then $600 (blue label).

If you told me someone was asking $3300 for a 9.8 copy of that book today, I'd ask if it came with a mirror and a razor to cut the coke you were doing.

But that's what these books were getting when there was only one or two, and these were buyers who HAD to know that eventually there would be more cps out there, sooner rather then later. They just needed to be sought out.

Can't say the same for Alan Moore s/s

It took YEARS to get this to happen, and in the words of another dealer on the boards, who at SDCC was overheard to say

"Alan Moore? It'll never happen."

Is it any less insane to realize MULTIPLES of what Brian said the Moore books sold for...if there was a Ditko on the market?

It would happen. Regardless of the book, I'm 100% it would happen.

If Brian had a B.S. copy of some Ditko back up story in say, Pacific Presents or Rocketeer or even a ROM #75 and it was 9.8 and Ditko s/s, it would go for crazy money. If it was a spider-man book, even crazier. A KEY book that Ditko worked on? Forget about it.

Alan Moore s/s isn’t exactly falling out of the sky, and the buyers of these books know and understand that.

There probably won't be more Alan Moore s/s books flooding the market anytime soon. There were 37 done, of which maybe half of that at best might float around the market. Maybe.

And the buyers that paid the money Brian made mention of will more then likely keep them in their collection, and they will never see the light of day.

So now that brings that number of potential Alan Moore s/s down even more.

Alan Moore was one of the last great White Whales, an iconic writer who changed the face of our hobby. The prices realized privately were probably for very serious books, not a V for Vendetta #9 that nobody really cares about. (no offense, BK).

And guess what...there's going to be just a spit ball drop of Stephen King books in s/s after next week. Less then EIGHT will possibly float the market. Maybe.

And King was THE last great White Whale to be harpooned.

What will market/demand be on those books?

Unless you count Ditko, but you really shouldn't because that probably won't happen. And another attempt at Ditko was recently made with very generous money offered.

I want to give an example regarding "demand" and some of these signatures, citing the recent Stephen King.

At this event, one woman offered to sell her ticket for $2000.

Her signing TICKET. Because THATS what it would take to get it out of her hands.

No joke.

Of course it didn't sell at that money, but that was her price.

Others wanted $200, 500 & $800 JUST for their signing tickets.

AND they were SELLING.

50 Harlan Ellisons

50 Sam Keith

37 Alan Moore

Less then EIGHT Stephen King (available....12 were done)

7 Robert Crumb.

3 John Waters

The truth is, you have to be willing to walk away from these boards to see real money/value for a lot of this stuff. And that's not intended to be an insult, so please don't read into it that way. It's just a fact...and if the market demands any of the numbers realized for any of these books, it's typically elsewhere then here.

It was a good year for Signature Series this year, and there were several desirable creators on s/s label for the first time.

People on these boards lost their MINDS when they found out there was an Alan Moore s/s and some were LIVID that they weren't included.

You know why?

Because this was one of the single most coveted signature series opps in s/s history. Hands down.

They lost their minds because everyone wanted one, nobody had one, and they KNOW the value of these books.

It's not a stretch to see over $3K on some of these books, because buyers outside these boards know and understand the same thing that board members who didn't get in on this understand.

Everybody wants one, and with good reason.

The scarcity of the s/s and even more scarcity of the KEY books in the s/s Alan Moore...dictates the demand.

Don't be fooled by a 9.8 s/s V for Vendetta #9.

$12,000 for a 9.9 Alan Moore sig is still insane even if someone actually coughs up that much for it.