• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Michael Turner the Neal Adams of the 2000's?

32 posts in this topic

I'm not talking about artistic style, but both do seem to be heavily collected. I'm more thinking of the proliferation of covers for D.C. comics. I remember reading somewhere that it seemed that Neal did every cover for a period of time. Now, it seems the Michael's doing every cover. Not that I'm complaining. I like both artists, and have recently tracked down some Witchblade issues. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it going to continue for Michael?

comparing Michael Turner to Neal Adams is akin to comparing a guy like Rafael Palmeiro to Hank Aaron.

Turner is a good artist. Draws nice women. But he's certainly NOT revolutionary in the way comics look. He's a product of the Silvestri/Top Cow school and although his layouts are ok, he's basically a pinup artist.

Turner, like Palmeiro, isn't even the best artist drawing comics today, so comparing him to a legend like Neal Adams just doesn't work.

Take a look at the Adams body of DC (primarily) and Marvel work... has turner drawn anything as innovative as the X-Men work? defined a look on a character as Adams did for Batman? drawn even one panel as great as the Adams panel in Avengers 93?

Sadly, the answer is no.

Don't get me wrong, Turner is good -- he's just no Neal Adams, and the only reason Turner is doing covers for DC is because he does have a large fan base, and you put a turner cover on a book and it helps sales. simple as that.

as for turner's future? who knows... as long as the quality is there, I expect his career to continue.

No....I'd be apt to give the designation to Jim Lee.

What has Turner worked on really? A couple of independent characters? Jim Lee has now left his mark on the Punisher, X-Men, Batman, and now will try to leave a legacy with Superman. Lee is one of only a few artists these days that can carry a title on his name alone. Much more akin to Adams then Turner has demonstrated thus far.....

Jim

Lee is one of only a few artists these days that can carry a title on his name alone.

Not being a huge Turner fan myself, I have to admit he can also carry a title by himself. At least right now, he can. The proof is Superman/Batman #8 which is going into its third printing. I even picked up a copy of Flash #207 because of his cover. I'm simply amazed at how he can churn out so much work and appear at literally every convention. For example, right now, he's in Pittsburgh. Last month, he was at WW LA and in a few weeks, he'll be at WW Philly.

comparing Michael Turner to Neal Adams is akin to comparing a guy like Rafael Palmeiro to Hank Aaron.

Turner is a good artist. Draws nice women. But he's certainly NOT revolutionary in the way comics look. He's a product of the Silvestri/Top Cow school and although his layouts are ok, he's basically a pinup artist.

Turner, like Palmeiro, isn't even the best artist drawing comics today, so comparing him to a legend like Neal Adams just doesn't work.

Take a look at the Adams body of DC (primarily) and Marvel work... has turner drawn anything as innovative as the X-Men work? defined a look on a character as Adams did for Batman? drawn even one panel as great as the Adams panel in Avengers 93?

Sadly, the answer is no.

Don't get me wrong, Turner is good -- he's just no Neal Adams, and the only reason Turner is doing covers for DC is because he does have a large fan base, and you put a turner cover on a book and it helps sales. simple as that.

as for turner's future? who knows... as long as the quality is there, I expect his career to continue.

Yeah, I agree with what you wrote, that's why I wrote, at the start, "I'm not talking about artistic style". I'd like to get more of N. Adams stuff, to properly appreciate his work , so if anyone has some of the X-men or Avengers items for sale LMK. I picked up the HC Batman book and can't wait until the second one comes out.

I noticed that and was also thinking DC seems to have given their covers to Turner as they did for Adams. But, sorry to disagree, Im not all that impressed with his style...especially when compared to Neal Adams' cover work. Check out some of his work in the many Bronze threads. They were more powerful designs and drawn better too. I also like Jim Lee better than Turner.

Sadly, the answer is no.

what he said!

Turner just happens to be the Flavor of the Day. In much the same way as other notable artists have been. They have a long way to becoming legendary, or even becoming equal to Adams, Kirby, or Kubert.

reading this thread made me think of alan davis, seems to me that he fits all the criteria mentioned, to a certain extent...

nevermind that he just so happens to be my fave penciller hi.gif

nevermind that he just so happens to be my fave penciller

I guess you can't wait for Uncanny X-Men #444 coming out this Wednesday.

I love Alan Davis's work as well. He's probably one of my two or three favorite artists (looking forward to the new The Nail Series!!!!) and all his work is just a lot of fun. His style is also very Neal Adamsesque.

By the way, I understood the question... you're comparing them based on popularity and making Turner the "go to guy" at DC's cover department... but I responded as such because it's apples and oranges... two different eras and turner, as someone else said, is the flavor of the month... soon it'll be J Scott Campbell doing all the covers for DC (since Jim Lee is busy actually working a monthly schedule).

I like Turner though.

two different eras and turner, as someone else said, is the flavor of the month

That's what I used to say about Turner, but the "flavor of the month" has now turned into the "flavor of the year" as he's been hot for a while and doesn't seem to be slowing down anytime soon. I just hope that in 10 years, I won't look back at his books like I do with Liefeld's and think, "How did I ever think this stuff was awesome???"

As for your comments on Alan Davis, I couldn't agree more. I had the priviledge of meeting him last November when he made an appearance at the Mid Ohio Comicon. IMHO, no one does a better Wonder Woman. He's not the warmest person in the world and even during the panel, the host had a hard time getting him to elaborate on his answers. In fact, Mike W. Barr was forced to do most of the talking.