• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the damage???...

14 posts in this topic

The following is a scan of a Wolverine #1 book that I picked up this weekend that , other than the defect, is in 9.6 condition...

What I'm looking for is...how much will the grade be affected..

As you will notice in the scan, the defect is a small tear that measures 1/32" (.030) that seems to have been caused by an impact of some sort...

Thanks in advance...

tinytear.jpg

Isn't there also a crease below the tear angling from the left end of the crease down towards the edge? If that isn't there, then it might still be in the 9.4 range. I own a CGC 9.6 book with a 1/16" edge tear.

FF...I noticed that in the scan, but under 7x magnification I can't notice it...however..there is a slight bend there and that may have caused an anomoly on the scan.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Is that tear only on the outer cover or does it affect the inner pages as well.

The only reason i ask is, i had a similar defect on ASM 124 which affected the inner pages and the grade which i received was very depressing.

The following is a scan of a Wolverine #1 book that I picked up this weekend that , other than the defect, is in 9.6 condition...

As you will notice in the scan, the defect is a small tear that measures 1/32" (.030) that seems to have been caused by an impact of some sort...

Thanks in advance...

tinytear.jpg

Since it is a modern book, it will probably be hammered by CGC. Not that I agree but I would not be surprised if it pulled a 9.0 or even an 8.5.

Tom

If it isn't production related, CGC will downgrade a modern the same way they'll downgrade an older book, except for the larger golden age book where the same "size" defects might get treated less harshly because on a bigger book, the defect is proportionately "smaller." This per a conversation I had with Steve Borock a while back. I am sure there are scores of examples where this has and has not been borne out in practice, but I thought it might interest people to know that there is no "conscious" decision to grade an older book less harshly for a non-production defect.

Thanks in advance...

tinytear.jpg

Since it is a modern book, it will probably be hammered by CGC. Not that I agree but I would not be surprised if it pulled a 9.0 or even an 8.5.

Tom

The comic WILL be downgraded due to that tear. Without looking at the rest of the comic, I can't give a grade.

CAL hi.gif