• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your San Francisco/Tom Reilly books
4 4

856 posts in this topic

I cheerfully subscribe to the Dumber portion of that line. It was definitely dumber on my part to partake again herein seeking to impart data on the Reilly collection, what ever his first name might be.

Please do not trust any thing i ever say regarding the origins of the American comic book or anything else. It has all been a hoax. The first comic strip in the entire world was is and remains forever more The Yellow Kid

The first comic book ever produced in the world was in remains Funnies On Parade in 1933 and the very first "news stand" comic book was is remains Famous Funnies.

Spine bends and corner folds remain more important than any other possible consideration on any comic book ever printed on the face of the planet Earth. Once it is slabbed encapsulated, who cares a Flying F what might be contained inside its pages.

Now, on to a few clarifications of sorts:

Re-reading last night what Steve Duin and Mike Richardson in Between the Panels on page 384-85 interpreted Mike Manyak psycho babbling about "how" they acquired what they did from that Berkeleycon 73 is a surrealistic trip.

The books were not taken to some upstairs room, it was done right out in the open.

It was not a "trunk", it was a lot of smaller size boxes covering most of a pallet on a pallet loader a UC-berkeley janitor provided the old couple.

The old guy told me after I showed him Overstreet #2, and he had me look up Capt America #1 he sold them for $1 a book. Dr Arnheim was visibly righteously upset

The "who" has parts correct.

The Old guy Arnheim who had books was Reilly's uncle, but it was Arnheim's wife who was the actual heir.

Death in World war two is correct, but an expansion there is a kamikazee attack summer 1945.

the "dozen" titles a month is stupid wrong. Even CGC census shows more than a "dozen" titles involved.

From 1945 thru Dec 1972 son Reilly's room sat untouched just like he left it when he went off to war.

Later on in the Duin & Richardson write up, it merely mentions John Barrett and Bud Plant.

Neither John nor Bud did "buy" the 2nd or 3rd portions. I did.

John knew next to nothing about vintage old comic books.

"We" did not "...trace down the other relatives..."

Those relatives came to that first Berkeley store at 2512 Telegraph Ave

Jon Campbell, a 4th partner let in to Comics & Comix in May 1973 confessed to Bud, John, as well as Scott Maple, it was he who stole those "150" Reilly issues the summer of 1973 among other shennanigans. Jon was following the 12 step program of recovering cocaine addicts where you go and confess your transgressions to every one

I know this only because both John Barrett and Bud Plant each came to me at the 1994 Wondercon in Oakalnd to inform me Jon Campbell had confessed his sins to them. Both apologized to me that day.

The Steve Duin and Mike Richardson article on pages 384-85 is a typical fairy tale with a little bit of reality coupled with a lot of erroneous myth.

In the mean time, I hope every one has a great week end, am headed to dinner Katy is working on in her apartment as she struggles to over come what has transpired in her life recently.

And I again thank each person who has bought a book or two out of my e Bay store this past week. Hope you like them when you get them and consider coming back often to dip in my comics well. Am constantly adding more new "vintage" material to it, Katy's recovery is expensive and is many more months to go yet.

The first comic book ever produced in the world was in remains Funnies On Parade in 1933 and the very first "news stand" comic book was is remains Famous Funnies.

I don't think that debate will ever be settled; it depends on how much emphasis someone puts on the format.

In terms of the complete integration of text and art, I think you could argue that William Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience and other works were proto-comic books. Some of them sure resemble comic books to me, and most of them were published in the 1790s.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ttnhMIEFb5E/T5JtPGY3XHI/AAAAAAAAAvo/VOYyYh0c9bw/s1600/William+Blake+The+Chimney+Sweeper+from+Songs+of+Experience.jpg

I cheerfully subscribe to the Dumber portion of that line. It was definitely dumber on my part to partake again herein seeking to impart data on the Reilly collection, what ever his first name might be.

Please do not trust any thing i ever say regarding the origins of the American comic book or anything else. It has all been a hoax. The first comic strip in the entire world was is and remains forever more The Yellow Kid

Spine bends and corner folds remain more important than any other possible consideration on any comic book ever printed on the face of the planet Earth. Once it is slabbed encapsulated, who cares a Flying F what might be contained inside its pages.

Now, on to a few clarifications of sorts:

Re-reading last night what Steve Duin and Mike Richardson in Between the Panels on page 384-85 interpreted Mike Manyak psycho babbling about "how" they acquired what they did from that Berkeleycon 73 is a surrealistic trip.

The books were not taken to some upstairs room, it was done right out in the open.

It was not a "trunk", it was a lot of smaller size boxes covering most of a pallet on a pallet loader a UC-berkeley janitor provided the old couple.

The old guy told me after I showed him Overstreet #2, and he had me look up Capt America #1 he sold them for $1 a book. Dr Arnheim was visibly righteously upset

The "who" has parts correct.

The Old guy Arnheim who had books was Reilly's uncle, but it was Arnheim's wife who was the actual heir.

Death in World war two is correct, but an expansion there is a kamikazee attack summer 1945.

the "dozen" titles a month is stupid wrong. Even CGC census shows more than a "dozen" titles involved.

From 1945 thru Dec 1972 son Reilly's room sat untouched just like he left it when he went off to war.

Later on in the Duin & Richardson write up, it merely mentions John Barrett and Bud Plant.

Neither John nor Bud did "buy" the 2nd or 3rd portions. I did.

John knew next to nothing about vintage old comic books.

"We" did not "...trace down the other relatives..."

Those relatives came to that first Berkeley store at 2512 Telegraph Ave

Jon Campbell, a 4th partner let in to Comics & Comix in May 1973 confessed to Bud, John, as well as Scott Maple, it was he who stole those "150" Reilly issues the summer of 1973 among other shennanigans. Jon was following the 12 step program of recovering cocaine addicts where you go and confess your transgressions to every one

I know this only because both John Barrett and Bud Plant each came to me at the 1994 Wondercon in Oakalnd to inform me Jon Campbell had confessed his sins to them. Both apologized to me that day.

The Steve Duin and Mike Richardson article on pages 384-85 is a typical fairy tale with a little bit of reality coupled with a lot of erroneous myth.

In the mean time, I hope every one has a great week end, am headed to dinner Katy is working on in her apartment as she struggles to over come what has transpired in her life recently.

And I again thank each person who has bought a book or two out of my e Bay store this past week. Hope you like them when you get them and consider coming back often to dip in my comics well. Am constantly adding more new "vintage" material to it, Katy's recovery is expensive and is many more months to go yet.

This is good stuff. 'National Enquirer' of pedigree comics history! I for one enjoyed reading it.

That must be William Blake, right? I remember some beautiful originals from Abel Berland's collection that sold a few years back.

And Bob, my thoughts and prayers are with your daughter.

---

Edit: After looking up the Christie's catalog for the Abel Berland collection, the item I referred to was actually a copy of "Songs of Innocence" in green ink that was listed with an estimate of $1-1,5 million.

Edited by tb

Thanks, guys, for the good thoughts towards Katy coming out the other side of the tunnel she is in, intact, and rebuilding positive thoughts towards the world at large. Truly, words written here from the heart.......

That said, back to "comics reaility" for a sec or so, if one looks on page 316 of the current Overstreeet #42 one will see "God's Revenge For Murder" by John Reynolds, unknown artist, published in 1656 which is the earliest known English language comic "panel" strip created in the English language.It is a three tier multipanel "broadside" blank on obverse.

Been running that 1656 comic strip in Overstreet since i found it for a few years now. Like i wrote previously, seems many do not "read" the dictionary either, simply looking up single unit factoids known as title, condition and price. the "origins' of the comic book some of us laid out for the rest of the comics community many moons ago now

Some enterprising soul could scan that and place here if they are motivated altruisticly on some level. I simply do not have time right now. Maybe in a day or so for me to get to it. I forget how to place pics here in CGC-thread Land. Memory sez it involves photobucket, etc.

Predates Blake by a century. Sorry guys, already way ahewad of youse all re researching the earliest known stuff. We covered Blake more than a decade ago in the PlatinumAgeComics group i started in yahoogroups.com in 1999. Over 30,000 posts to search thru there on the world wide origins of the comic strip with word bal'oon earliest known dating to 450 AD or so. Among other stuff if possible intererst

caio,

BLB

Hi pat,

Nice to see you here. Thanks for the Blakes -:) Hoping to get out your way this spring, stop in say hi, catch up, unveil "new plans we discussed earlier, want to ctach up with cat up the street as well - the Blakes be cool, will tell Katy you be rooting fer her as well. Me? I am all healed these days of daZe and working out in the gym, prepping for possible marriage once again, we shall see. Hope you and yours all growing in life well & OK - surely has been an interesting last few months dealing with a semi-baffled medical community.

way to go Jimbo - forget Obadiah O - give us Billy B!

& Hi Bob- you know I'm rooting for Katy & you - big time!

bestiest, Pat

london.jpg

Let's get this thread back on track.

You just did! :applause: