• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting turn of events

36 posts in this topic

Got it {thumbs u

WTF is with all this "in transit" thefts?? Does this mean some postal worker is up to no good?

possibly - it means Spencer mailed it and the package arrived empty

doh! I must have been distracted yesterday. I didn't even realize you're the buyer that received the opened package :insane:

But yeah, my comment was meant more or less tongue-in-cheek as I've been reading more and more about items being stolen while in transit. Sure hope this works in your favor somehow :wishluck:

Thanks - no worries ... I was just getting my feet wet in the OA game almost 3 years ago when this was stolen. I had no idea if this was common. Spencer says it happens once or twice a year which I found surprising. He took it in stride ... business as usual and took care of the situation on his/my end. Just waiting to hear from him to see what he says.

And the plot thickens ... I messaged the seller and got the following back:

"I do have more to come, one is an Avengers piece. This particular piece you asked about, I did not personally get it from the artist. Keep an eye out on my auctions for the rest of the pieces."

see below - the other page in the package that was stolen:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryP...528&GSub=72187

looking less and less like this is a misunderstanding - we shall see

He's posted the New Avengers piece now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avengers-Infinity-3-Comic-Book-ORIGINAL-INTERIOR-ART-PAGE-Sean-CHEN-HANNA-/330618255592?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfa6238e8

Crossing my fingers that this'll turn out ok.

Andrew

If no one has already done so - and it seems unlikely anyone has since the listings are still runing - I think it is a mistake to not have alerted eBay that this is likely stolen merchandise. The seller doesn't live in the State the artwork went missing from - it's been quite a while since it was stolen - and the seller has lots of positive feedback. Most likely he or she has no idea that the artwork was stolen - but could perhaps point the proper authorities in the right direction. Like who they bought it from.

If no one has already done so - and it seems unlikely anyone has since the listings are still runing - I think it is a mistake to not have alerted eBay that this is likely stolen merchandise. The seller doesn't live in the State the artwork went missing from - it's been quite a while since it was stolen - and the seller has lots of positive feedback. Most likely he or she has no idea that the artwork was stolen - but could perhaps point the proper authorities in the right direction. Like who they bought it from.

Hi Tony. I agree with you. At this time the only reason I have not done anything is due to waiting to see what Spencer says on the matter. Before long, I will have to make a decision on what to do without input from Spencer.

You might have to start thinking about what's best to do in case Spencer doesn't get back to you. He can sometimes take a few days to get through his emails, and if your email header isn't written in a way to catch his eye it may be in the 'first come, first served' pile.

There are three and a half days left, and the Hulk page already has a bidder.

It is an unusual situation... Spencer reimbursed you for the loss, Spencer presumably had insurance on the piece... would we expect the seller to give up the pages without payment?

My advice is, you're going to have to act soon, I'd do it within the next day or so, so the pages don't pile up more bidders that will have to be cancelled. I think you can't allow the auctions to close.

Contact the bidder, formally inform him of the theft (and support your position with your CAF gallery listing, which has been up since 2008! and hopefully Spencer's testimony), and my best guess would be to offer to cover his expenses (i.e. cover the price he paid to buy the pages, and shipping to you).

The quandary is, if he says 'NO' ... do you bid, let the pages go, or call Ebay? Those are your choices, assuming he isn't a crook himself.

Andrew

That all sounds nice but if Spencer was insured and reimbursed then either the insurance company (if private insurance) or the postal service own the pages. If Spencer didn't get reimbursed then he owns the pages as long as he recorded everything correctly. I'll contact you shortly with Spencer's info.

Unfortunately for unknowing sellers of stolen merchandise - they often times (but not every time) take a loss on stolen merchandise. Someone lost $$ here - be it Spencer or an insurance company. Could be USPS insurance or a private company. Without knowing if there was insurance and by whom we don't know what agency would be intially investigating. But whoever it is (police or postal inspectors) the artwork is most likely going to be needed as evidence - for a long time. A very long time if charges are ultimately filed.

Occasionally people left holding stolen goods can get lucky. If the person that stole this artwork has already been arrested and charged with stealing mail - and the authorities already have a large amount of evidence then the police/prosecutor might pass. Just have to deal with any insurance company.

The original purchaser of the pages says he plans to act soon. But there is no quandry if the current seller on ebay says "NO". You most certainly call eBay. I believe contact with both the seller and eBay should occur at the same time.

When this contact occurs - someone needs to - in a non-accusatory way - let the current owner (eBay seller) know that selling goods you KNOW are stolen is a crime - selling goods you had no idea were stolen is not. He or she needs to hold onto the artwork until the proper authorities have contacted him and advised as to what they want. It would be nice if eBay would handle this part.

Let's see if I understand.

Once upon a time someone attempted to purchase these pages from Spencer. Something occurred and Spencer made that individual whole and no longer keeps that individual up to date on Spencers personal dealings.

The individual then finds what they think has been stolen, specially something that indivdual has been advertising as stolen although they are kept out of the loop. Several others jump on the band wagon.

Sounds like someone messing in someone elses sandbox without knowing whose sandbox it is or the entire set of facts.

Note to self: several more individuals to avoid dealing with.

Best,

Edwin

I think we're all just hoping for a positive, judgement-free outcome. :whistle:

Ruben had the right call, though. This is totally Spencer's play. I'm glad he's elected to be involved.

Respectfully,

Andrew

Let's see if I understand.

Once upon a time someone attempted to purchase these pages from Spencer. Something occurred and Spencer made that individual whole and no longer keeps that individual up to date on Spencers personal dealings.

The individual then finds what they think has been stolen, specially something that indivdual has been advertising as stolen although they are kept out of the loop. Several others jump on the band wagon.

Sounds like someone messing in someone elses sandbox without knowing whose sandbox it is or the entire set of facts.

Best,

Edwin

So what would you recommend that someone does when they believe they see merchandise that could well be stolen listed for sale on eBay or somewhere else?. The original poster has valid reasons to believe the art was at one point stolen. No one posting seems to be rushing to judgement or accusatory. The most common advice has been to let the proper people know. The proper people including the original seller, the original buyer, the current seller and eBay.

What is it that any one has said or done that leads you to believe any business dealings you might have with anyone posting on this thread might not be satisfactory? If anything, the posts suggest that the individuals offering comment would be good people to do business with - and would want any transaction they were involved with to be totally fair and honest.

Which is not going to be the case if a buyer somewhere ends up purchasing stolen art. Art which could easily be taken from them at a later date by it's rightful owners. With no compensation.