• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAPTAIN AMERICA'S! TRIMMED or NOT? What say you!

36 posts in this topic

Sold these on Ebay for $1.51 each. He insists they are trimmed, well here's his message to me:

I cannot in good conscience, leave positive feedback regarding these comics that I bought from you. After visually inspecting the books and measuring them (including comparing them to other Silver Age books that I have owned for many years before Ebay), I have come to the conclusion that the books have been trimmed on the edges in order to for the edges to appear sharp and well-preserved.

capt112.jpg

capt114.jpg

You should send him to this thread. The books are clearly not trimmed and he should go ahead and learn that size comparison with other comics is not a way to detect trimming. He should be paying attention to unusually smooth edges or corners that look super sharp in comparison with the rest of comic. Traits that neither of these books have.

You should send him to this thread. The books are clearly not trimmed and he should go ahead and learn that size comparison with other comics is not a way to detect trimming. He should be paying attention to unusually smooth edges or corners that look super sharp in comparison with the rest of comic. Traits that neither of these books have.
^^

Pulp paper stored in different climates will shrink at different rates. Measuring a book and compairing it to another book is absolutely no help in detecting trimming. (see the sticky post on restoration detection). The best test is to look for unusually sharp edges compaired tot he rest of the book as stated above. These edges are not sharp. If they were trimmed, it would have had to been about 20 years ago for them to wear to the point that they are now.

Reguardless, best advice is to refund and walk away.