• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT - The Pinstripe Empire is Striking Back!!

109 posts in this topic

if anybody says that BOTH the red sox and yankees aren't trying to buy a championship, then you're completely and totally ignorant and/or blinded by fan-dom.

i'm listening to the gigantes vs. the mets right now and watching another game on the tv. barry bonds on base percentage is .704. cripes.

I am sick of people saying that the Red Sox are trying to "buy" a championship!! What the heck does it mean anyways??? The Red Sox and the Yankees for that matter spend what they can spend on players. If it happens that they CAN spend more on players...then so be it!!! If any other team made the revenue that these teams do, dont think they wouldnt spend all they can to try and win the championship!

Anyways, isnt winning the championship the reason why the teams play??? They play for the fans yes, but the big prize is winning the ring at the end of the season! So what is wrong with being able to afford the best players to play for your team in order to win it all??? confused-smiley-013.gif

if anybody says that BOTH the red sox and yankees aren't trying to buy a championship, then you're completely and totally ignorant and/or blinded by fan-dom.

i'm listening to the gigantes vs. the mets right now and watching another game on the tv. barry bonds on base percentage is .704. cripes.

I am sick of people saying that the Red Sox are trying to "buy" a championship!! What the heck does it mean anyways??? The Red Sox and the Yankees for that matter spend what they can spend on players. If it happens that they CAN spend more on players...then so be it!!! If any other team made the revenue that these teams do, dont think they wouldnt spend all they can to try and win the championship!

Anyways, isnt winning the championship the reason why the teams play??? They play for the fans yes, but the big prize is winning the ring at the end of the season! So what is wrong with being able to afford the best players to play for your team in order to win it all??? confused-smiley-013.gif

this would be an example of someone completely blinded by fan-dom

this would be an example of someone completely blinded by fan-dom

I guess you can call me a fanboy.... grin.gif

I think I get it now. If Boston needs some pieces to fill out the team,such as a #1(pedro) and 2(curt) or cf(jhonny) or closer(whomever they wasted money on this year),that is good. Yet when the Yankees sign a #3 starter(Mussina) ,a replacement 1b(Giambi) a outfielder to replace their long time RF(ONeil),or trade their best young player(Soriano) to aquire a needed third baseman(ARod),or 2nd best young player to aquire a pitcher(Vasquez),this is buying a championship

#3 starter, Mussina? Hello that's MIKE MUSSINA a #1 starter!

replacement 1B? Jason Giambi? That's JASON GIAMBI!

need a 3rd baseman so you bag Alex Rodriguez? ALEX RODRIGUEZ!

lost your RF, who's an all-star outfielder, oh yeah, Gary Sheffield, let's sign GARY SHEFFIELD!

The Red Sox signed Pedro 7 years ago. In that time the Yankees have signed how many all-stars, 13?, 14?, 15? Nobody knows when the money flows.

Let's ponder some of the Yankees signings in the last seven years; Clemens all-star, Sheffield all-star, Mussina all-star, Mondesi all-star, Boggs all-star, Wells all-star, Matsui all-star Japan, Cone all-star, Canseco all-star, Ventura all-star, Giambi all-star, Alex Rodriguez allllll-star, Dave Justice all-star, Wohlers all-star, Davis all-star, Zeile all-star, Brown all-star...

All hail George Steinbrenner. It's sad that people are born into a Yankee fan enviroment and can't look in from the outside to see what a shame it really is. Zimmer realized it and left, Torre knows and won't last much longer, how about you?....

CRC

The Red Sox signed Pedro 7 years ago. In that time the Yankees have signed how many all-stars, 13?, 14?, 15? Nobody knows when the money flows.

Let's ponder some of the Yankees signings in the last seven years; Clemens all-star, Sheffield all-star, Mussina all-star, Mondesi all-star, Boggs all-star, Wells all-star, Matsui all-star Japan, Cone all-star, Canseco all-star, Ventura all-star, Giambi all-star, Alex Rodriguez allllll-star, Dave Justice all-star, Wohlers all-star, Davis all-star, Zeile all-star, Brown all-star...

All hail George Steinbrenner. It's sad that people are born into a Yankee fan enviroment and can't look in from the outside to see what a shame it really is. Zimmer realized it and left, Torre knows and won't last much longer, how about you?....

CRC

So you're mad that the Yankees can spend more than your Sox? Did you hate on the Dodgers, Mets and Orioles when they had a larger payroll than Boston? Your small market struggling Sox who happen to have a $125 MILLION dollar payroll right now? Somehow I don't think you were you shouting at how unfair things were when the Sox almost completed the trade for Arod.

Now be a goodboy and dry your eyes. I have a feeling you'll be doing enough crying this coming October, just like you've doing ever since you started following that cursed franchise of yours. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

So you're mad that the Yankees can spend more than your Sox? Did you hate on the Dodgers, Mets and Orioles when they had a larger payroll than Boston? Your small market struggling Sox who happen to have a $125 MILLION dollar payroll right now? Somehow I don't think you were you shouting at how unfair things were when the Sox almost completed the trade for Arod.

Now be a goodboy and dry your eyes. I have a feeling you'll be doing enough crying this coming October, just like you've doing ever since you started following that cursed franchise of yours.

The baseball luxury tax kicks in at 120.5 mil.

The Sox are over it by just under 5 mil.

The Yankees are over it by almost 84 million dollars. 84 million...Their not even the BSD's of baseball, their the BSD's god. It's a travesty and a joke. If the Yanks had achieved all they have in the last several years with a team salary at least close to the next higher teams I might at least respect them. Now I can hate the Yankess and not respect them, which is actually kind of nice.

CRC

The Yankees are over it by almost 84 million dollars. 84 million...Their not even the BSD's of baseball, their the BSD's god. It's a travesty and a joke. If the Yanks had achieved all they have in the last several years with a team salary at least close to the next higher teams I might at least respect them. Now I can hate the Yankess and not respect them, which is actually kind of nice.

CRC

You're a lifelong Boston fan and NOW you've just started to hate the Yankees? Boy, I sure do hope the Yanks and their fans don't lose sleep over this.

Lemme ask ya. The Yanks are in the biggest market in the world. They have the biggest cable contract in the sport and their fans support the team like no other. They make the most on merchandising, advertising, etc.. so why is it wrong for Steinbrenner to use the money he makes from the team to make the team the better? Why should he ease up on the rest of the league? Why should he not upgrade? Because the have nots are complaining? Would you be happier if Steinbrenner used the profits from the team to build another mansion in Tampa for himself? Or maybe buy a 200 ft yacht?

Steinbrenner is playing by the rules YOUR team voted for. To [!@#%^&^] and moan about it now is not only disingenuous, it's laughable.

CRC

You're a lifelong Boston fan and NOW you've just started to hate the Yankees? Boy, I sure do hope the Yanks and their fans don't lose sleep over this.

Lemme ask ya. The Yanks are in the biggest market in the world. They have the biggest cable contract in the sport and their fans support the team like no other. They make the most on merchandising, advertising, etc.. so why is it wrong for Steinbrenner to use the money he makes from the team to make the team the better? Why shoudl he ease up on the rest of the league? Why should he not upgrade? Because the have nots are complaining? Would you be happier if Steinbrenner used the profits from the team to build another mansion in Tampa for himself? Or maybe buy a 200 ft yacht?

Steinbrenner is playing by the rules YOUR team voted for. To [!@#%^&^] and moan about it now is not only disingenuous, it's laughable.

The Law of Unintended Consequences kicked in. The Yankees voted "NO" on the "[!@#%^&^] the Yankees Tax", but everybody else voted yes. So, what George has done is say "I don't care about the tax" and will pay into it. NOBODY can [!@#%^&^] about how things are playing out.

Nah, always hated em, now I don't respect them.

so why is it wrong for Steinbrenner to use the money he makes from the team to make the team the better? Why shoudl he ease up on the rest of the league? Why should he not upgrade? Because the have nots are complaining? Would you be happier if Steinbrenner used the profits from the team to build another mansion in Tampa for himself? Or maybe buy a 200 ft yacht?

Your right, nothing's wrong with Steinbrenner using the money to buy a championship. But I would glady take an 86 year drought than have the Sox operate like New York spending-wise despite Yankees' success. Steinbrenner is making a mockery of the Yankees, baseball, and their attempts to level the playing field.

...and their fans support the team like no other

You've never been to a Sox-Yanks game then at the friendly confines of Fenway Park. Red Sox fans are the most passionate, of course, if you could buy passion the Yanks would be right on top.

CRC

note - Yankees are not almost 84 mil above the luxury tax but rather almost 64 mil.

Dude,

I've heard of sour grapes before, but this is ridiculous. It's not like the Bosox are the Minnesota Twins or something, shaving payroll and letting go free agents, etc. From what I remember, the sox have the 2nd or 3rd highest payroll in baseball.

Granted, Steinbrenner spends too much, but don't blame the Yankees organization or fans for that. Also, don't hate the Yankees because of game 7. That was your game for the taking. But you had an insufficiently_thoughtful_person managar who refused to take a tiring Pedro out of the game when it was 5-2 and then when it was 5-4. That's just being on the wrong side of a curse. I was at that game (as I was Games 2 & 6) and you should have won. (BTW, game 7 was the best live entertainment I have ever been at, rivaling many Grateful Dead concerts!!)

But you didn't. Be a man and look forward to this year. You've got a very good team. But please don't sound like a child and blamehate the Yankees or their fans. If you do, that's pure jealousy, nothing else.

Completerun,

BTW, I've been to Fenway. Awesome, awesome place to watch a ballgame. it was Memorial day weekend, 1998. I swear, there were as many Yankee fans as Bosox. I know you RedSox nation fans are passionate, but how would you know what it's really like to win when half your stadium is rooting for the opposition.

Look, I really don't believe in curses, but during the 10 inning of game 6, 1986 world series b/w Sox and Metskies, Bruce Hurst was names series MVP. We all know what happened after that (think Bill Buckner).

If you take Bruce Hurst, scramble the letters up & use your imagination, what do you get? B RUTH CURSE!!! (You can't make this stuff up).

Dude,

I've heard of sour grapes before, but this is ridiculous. It's not like the Bosox are the Minnesota Twins or something, shaving payroll and letting go free agents, etc. From what I remember, the sox have the 2nd or 3rd highest payroll in baseball.

Granted, Steinbrenner spends too much, but don't blame the Yankees organization or fans for that. Also, don't hate the Yankees because of game 7. That was your game for the taking. But you had an insufficiently_thoughtful_person managar who refused to take a tiring Pedro out of the game when it was 5-2 and then when it was 5-4. That's just being on the wrong side of a curse. I was at that game (as I was Games 2 & 6) and you should have won. (BTW, game 7 was the best live entertainment I have ever been at, rivaling many Grateful Dead concerts!!)

But you didn't. Be a man and look forward to this year. You've got a very good team. But please don't sound like a child and blamehate the Yankees or their fans. If you do, that's pure jealousy, nothing else.

Amen, brother..........i was down vacationing in Boca Raton and had to leave the bar/restaurant where i was watching the game because of all the red sox fans including the bartender. i should've gone right back after Boone's HR!?!?

like i said, if you're paying mega bucks to keep many home grown superstars from leaving for free agency, (would guess jeter/posada/rivera/williams make 50mill/year), it shouldn't rile anyone up confused.gif

Whoa, whoa, easy there. This is just two typical Red Sox/Yankee fans dealing out some "(insert team name) $ucks" trash talking.

Trust me, I could never be jealous of the Yankees and we don't hate the Yankee fans or the players. The Yankee fans are great, we couldn't have the great rivalry we do without them and their organization has done much good. Their blend of heterosexual and homosexual players is a tribute to people just accepting people for who they are, people.

If the Red Sox do win a world series and it doesn't go through New York it just won't be anywhere near as sweet.

CRC

If the Red Sox do win a world series and it doesn't go through New York it just won't be anywhere near as sweet.

I think I hear a radio in the background after this statement playing the infamous

Aerosmith Hit "Dream On"!!

As always, after the yanks deject the sox from their Series Dreams, for the Umteenth time,

New York fans alway get the Last Laugh!

George bought the Yankes for $10 million dollars in the early 70s.Werner and his gang of insufficiently_thoughtful_persons just paid over $700 million for the sox.Only about $200 million of that was cash so they are paying interest on a half a billion dollars.

The Yankees have a bigger stadium,draw more fans,recieve higher revenues and have zero debt to service.

Attempting to out-spend the Yankees is akin to trying to fight a war of attrition with China.foolish to attempt and ultimitely futile.

Of course maybe some of the BSD owners might try spending a little of their own money.

Why is it a lot of people resent the Yanks "buying" players? The freaking SYSTEM allowed this to happen - and some folks just don't get it - you get what you PAY FOR!!! Not a hard concept. We live in a Capitalist Society - said society provides the climate for those who can purchase to do just that - purchase!

Now the NFL - there was a major forcement of the Owners - not the public - yes I said OWNERS of the NFL franchises - it was around 6 - 8 teams that kept making the Playoffs and raked in the most money. The result(s) that followed the NFL Owner's negotiations( Wars):

1) Shared Revenue - all products and TV monies

2) Salary Cap -

3) Teams can only "protect" a few "Franchise Players" - the old days they could protect almost the entire team!

4) Expansion of NFL Europe as a sort of "farm system" and some of those players HAVE made it to the big time;

5) Polls and general comments made and osmosis regarding to the game of football itself: More people are more interested when the OFFENSE scores - thus the old adage: OFFENSE sells the tickets, DEFENSE wins the games: led to somewhat drastic Rule Changes the last 10 years or so: Push Field Goals back, make kickoffs easier, can only send two defenders to cover Punts, Defenders can't "Bump-and-run" against WR's after 5 yards, Defenders can't headhunt the way they could in the past - you got it - Teams with Defenses like 1985 Bears and 2000 Ravens get quickly dismantled and makes a NFL fan like me get the voodoo doll out here;

Before I get out of control here, let me just say: The NFL "fixed" this thing of buying Playoff teams - now MLB needs to do the same type of thing. That would eliminate the Yankee haters, or at least most of them. Let's call it what this really is: the very people that complain about Yanks buying players want to live in our Capitalist Society, but resent the Capitalists who can buy things. Quite a contradiction if you ask me. With that one, I am outta here for now!

CAL 893scratchchin-thumb.gif