• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New England Area

27 posts in this topic

Hey everyone.

My wife and I will be heading down to Central Valley (Woodbury) NY (she wants to shop!), New Haven CT, Providence RI, Boston MA, Salem MA, Cape Cod, maybe into NH, etc. in mid-October for an 8-day day-tripping vacation.

We're sticking pretty much to the coastline.

The only place we're not is we are crossing the Canadian border at Kingston/Gananoque Ontario so we'll be hitting Syracuse, Utica and Albany on the way down to New Haven and back the same way.

Instead of using the Comic Book Locator, I'd like some good advice from my fellow Boardies on where some good comic shops are within this large area I just mentioned above. We do not plan on going into New york City so please, nothing in NYC.

Stop by and make appointments to visit Jim Payette and Ted VanLiew for starters. Hit local comic shops on the way. I was just in the Boston area for business, stopped at lots of interesting shops with some cool finds. Have made some good finds in Providence as well. Good luck with the trip.

Stop by and make appointments to visit Jim Payette and Ted VanLiew for starters. Hit local comic shops on the way. I was just in the Boston area for business, stopped at lots of interesting shops with some cool finds. Have made some good finds in Providence as well. Good luck with the trip.

If that law thing doesn't pan out, you could always work the PBS circut

as an American travel guide. Worth 22 minutes of video.

Sounds like Rick Steves wrote that.

In the Albany, NY area, I would recommend you stop at EARTHWORLD at 537 Central Ave.,

it's not hard to find and worth the trip.

mm

Do they carry any GA these days? I haven't been there in years.

If that law thing doesn't pan out, you could always work the PBS circut

as an American travel guide. Worth 22 minutes of video.

Sounds like Rick Steves wrote that.

lol

Well, I'll may be in Houston and Chicago this week, and part of the trip will be making the comic rounds. Chicago is always great because there are a lot of great options, including one of the only opportunities I have to haul myself out to Jamie Graham's flagship stores to root around his "regular" inventory.

If you can swing near Danbury CT, check out Cave Comics in Newtown (just outside Danbury)

You might also check out Sarge's in New London... though I suspect that might be out of your way.

Buried Under Comics is in Manchester, CT but it's right on the highway heading to Bean Town. Great mix of books from GA to Modern and they'll work with you on prices.

Brian where do you go in Providence? I can never find shops worth going to there. There is the Time Capsule in Cranston and one in Seekonk, Ma, but I don't know of any other places.

That's a lot of ground for 8 days.

Places I'd recommend in the Metro Boston area, some of which have been mentioned, would be:

The Outer Limits in Waltham, Comically Speaking in Reading, Webhead Enterprises in Wakefield and Harrison's in Salem (plus other locations).

To the west is Bedrock/Bop City in Framingham and Superworld in Holden. (Ted is having an October sale and opening his doors sans appointment this weekend, BTW).

There's stores in Boston/Cambridge proper like Million Year Picnic and New England Comics that I never get to. Comicopia is in Kenmore Square and Newbury Comics is down down the street, but Newbury is really more of a record store and Comicopia doesn't carry back issues.

Some Good ideas on the comic portion of your trip already.

So I'll give you a must hit spot in New Haven...Pepe's Pizza on Wooster St. in New Haven since 1925 IMHO the best Pizza in New England and maybe on the planet (worship)

Is this where they serve the famous White Clam Pizza?

Wow, this is a lot of great info, everyone.

Thanks very much.

Yeah, that's a lot of ground to cover for sure and I'm looking forward to it.

I'll be stopping at a lot of these shops but probably not all of them...at least not if I don't want a divorce :)

Some Good ideas on the comic portion of your trip already.

So I'll give you a must hit spot in New Haven...Pepe's Pizza on Wooster St. in New Haven since 1925 IMHO the best Pizza in New England and maybe on the planet (worship)

Is this where they serve the famous White Clam Pizza?

yep

Hey, we'll take any other suggestions for the area besides comic shops as well.

Anything tourist-y, but not well-known by the regular hordes of tourists.

I'm already warming up for the Pizza

Oh its a local hot spot but its worth the wait, for lunch you might be able to walk right in, if you wait until peak dinner hours you will wait in line. Go for an early dinner you should be all set.