• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's build the essential 1980s comic reading list

76 posts in this topic

I need your help. I'd like to build a great 1980s comic reading list and am looking for any and all suggestions.

I started a thread like this over in the bronze forum and it's already gotten great responses. Let's try it here for 1980s comics. I decided not to use the term "copper" because no one can seem to agree when it began and when it ended. It's okay if there is some bleedover into 1979 and 1990.

What would you choose? There's some obvious choices like V for Vendetta, Miller Daredevil, Watchman, and Dark Knight just to name a small few but maybe there's some other stuff that you feel has flown under the radar and is underrated.

I will manage the list.

Please be specific with issue numbers and have some fun with it. All genres and all publishers welcomed.

Definitely Miracleman.

Dark Horse Presents. (for me the Concrete stories are the best part)

Rick Veitch's ''Brat Pack'' I think is Criminally underrated.

Please be specific with issue numbers

:makepoint:

Early Grendel...

- Comico Primer 2

- Grendel miniseries 1 to 3

then, for both the Grendel and Mage stories...

- Mage : The Hero Discovered (Vol.1) 1 to 15

- Grendel Vol 2 (continued series) 16 to 19

Definitely Miracleman. 1-16

Dark Horse Presents. (for me the Concrete stories are the best part) 1-20

Rick Veitch's ''Brat Pack'' I think is Criminally underrated. 1-5

Please be specific with issue numbers

:makepoint:

That better? meh

1st two years of Animal Man

1st two years of Sandman (the rest is 90's but read that, too)

Doom Patrol 19-63 (Also some 90s)

Justice League 1-30

The Punisher mini 1-5

Crow 1-4

Secret Wars 1-12 - You have to read it to know what it did to the comics industry

Swamp Thing 20-63

TMNT 1-10

Boris the Bear 1-8

Crisis 1-12

Miracleman 1-24

The Tick

1-12 run even though it bleeds past 90s since it took years before each issue was released.

Similar complication with Love and Rockets magazine 1 to 50 (series 1)

Just a bit over half of the run was published in the Age we're talking about here (issue 31 = Dec 89), but the series finished in the mid 90s, and it's the kind of extended narrative book which should be read right through to the end.

TMNT 1-10

To this I'd add the Leonardo, Raphael, and Fugitoid 1-shots. Each are essential to really knowing what's going on throughout issues 1-10. (thumbs u

TMNT 1-10

To this I'd add the Leonardo, Raphael, and Fugitoid 1-shots. Each are essential to really knowing what's going on throughout issues 1-10. (thumbs u

I really thought about going back and editing, but was too lazy. Thank you for shoring up my sloth. :)