• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America Annual (Canadian): Worth the eBay risk?

88 posts in this topic

With a 3K starting price, the seller obviously has some idea of the books value. I'd ask them what the story is behind the comic, and if there is a better known dealer/buyer they've dealt with that might vouch for them.

Isn't there some sort of escrow service one could use for a purchase this size?

I don`t see any thickness either.

This auction does not look too promising! Personally I would stay away from it.

If the seller knows that the book has value then the seller in my opinion would have listed a much better description.

One way to sift through about 60 to 70 percent of bogus sellers is to ask them if you can pick the item up personally. If they say yes there is a higher chance of the seller being legit but keep in mind even if they say yes the seller still can be a bogus seller.

There is now a bid on the item, if that bid is from a board member you should now be able to get their contact info by clicking on Advanced at the top of ebay`s home page next to search, then on the left side under Members click on Find contact information. You will receive their name, phone number and city. But keep in mind they will also receive your information as well.

The interiors reprint an issue of Captain America (either 18 or 22, I can't remember) and an issue of Marvel Mystery (I think it is 32 which is the cover of the Marvel annual). The insides are identical to most of the Marvel Annuals, though there is one known Marvel Annual which contains different reprints.

I think it contains Captain America 18 (with the Bowling Alley of Death story) and Marvel Mystery 33 (with the Dynamite Saboteurs story).

Cover is from Cap 22. Inside covers are blank. Only copy I have scans of is in black and white.

6191641547_3eab721503_z.jpg

This comic is out of my price range so I am not in competition on the auction. I'm not familiar with Canadian variants. What would be the value of this book at a reputable acution house? I saw one on Ebay that ended a while back for around $25K.

Depends on the condition but yeah this wouldn't hit $25k. However, I wouldn't be surprised if a 3.0-4.0 copy went for $10K. I think the best we have seen on the market is only mid grade?

I asked some questions, including a page count, she said it was "complete" but did not give a count, she did email me some pictures. I'm not interested given the lack of specific response, but if someone wants the pictures she sent me, pm me and give me your email address, I'll forward the email.

The pictures are of a black and white interior and the back cover is completely blank

I asked some questions, including a page count, she said it was "complete" but did not give a count, she did email me some pictures. I'm not interested given the lack of specific response, but if someone wants the pictures she sent me, pm me and give me your email address, I'll forward the email.

The pictures are of a black and white interior and the back cover is completely blank

Sounds like a Cap Annual. I've seen one. It was published in Canada which is why it's rare.

Capt. Geo's Comic World in Toronto in the 60's reprinted Timely stories in black and white.

Never knew where he got the black and white art. Figured out he cut up either a Cap Annual or Marvel Mystery Annual. :o

Sounds like a Cap Annual. I've seen one. It was published in Canada which is why it's rare.

Capt. Geo's Comic World in Toronto in the 60's reprinted Timely stories in black and white.

Never knew where he got the black and white art. Figured out he cut up either a Cap Annual or Marvel Mystery Annual. :o

Well, I definitely don't know enough about it and once I saw it was black and white, I was less sure I'd be interested, but honestly, if I ask for a page count on a $3k book and the person won't count the pages, I back off.

Love to learn more information, even though I'm not going to bid:)

BTW:) I got 6 requests, so I sent these to 6 of you...I'm going to be out this evening, so if one of you kind people (like the person who said HE was bored..:baiting:) could post them for the others, it would be great:)

Well, I definitely don't know enough about it and once I saw it was black and white, I was less sure I'd be interested, but honestly, if I ask for a page count on a $3k book and the person won't count the pages, I back off.

Love to learn more information, even though I'm not going to bid:)

BTW:) I got 6 requests, so I sent these to 6 of you...I'm going to be out this evening, so if one of you kind people (like the person who said HE was bored..:baiting:) could post them for the others, it would be great:)

lol OK, I can take a hint. Here come the pics:

115976.jpg.6ea17c962f9c074ee5e540ed9c4284ce.jpg

115977.jpg.cc024d80ff2a085d33f4f5c7bbff0109.jpg

115978.jpg.d2a5aa4c5c0a404d6fd7f0ff4444ef57.jpg

115979.jpg.1f8cf95dd547ba0dad9654207020c27f.jpg

115980.jpg.0a354393435284ac09e7d085c3c96142.jpg

Jon, you are so intuitive, HOW did you know;) ?

;)

Meanwhile,here was the rest of the email

don't know if those question thingys are a new eBay thing.,

Dear skypinkblu,

Thanks for your interest.

-��������� The comic is used, but not in bad repair.�

-��������� There is no tape on it.

-��������� Back cover is a bit loose.

-��������� Some wearing and small rips around the edges (most notable on cover and centre pages).

-��������� Interior is in good condition and all pages are present, with the above noted wearing around some edges.

-��������� Small pencil notation on the front page, top centre.

I?ve taken additional photos of the above noted conditions and attached them to this email.� If you have any additional questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks.

Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 3:00 PM

To:

Subject: Details about item: skypinkblu sent a message about Captain America Comic (Universal Crime Stories, Inc.) #170702622676

�����������������������

This member has a question for you.

Do not respond to the sender if this message requests that you complete the transaction outside of eBay. This type of offer is against eBay policy, may be fraudulent, and is not covered by buyer protection programs. Learn More.

�����������������������

Dear bettyh907,

Hi, can you tell me please, how many sheets of paper this book has (not including the covers? ) Can you email me a picture of the back cover, and one of an inside page, please, preferably the centerfold.

Are any pages detached ? Do any pages have tears, are there any coupons cut? Is there any tape or water damage? Thank you

- skypinkblu

Click "respond" to reply through Messages, or go to your email to reply

�������������������

�������������������

���������������

���������������