• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My pithy explanation of the last 2 weeks.

63 posts in this topic

So, considering everything I am quoting is available on CGC's website(s) I sure hope the content of my post doesn't get me permabanned. But I truly and honestly thought that a public discussion was in order, for the 3 or 4 who may care how it was that I got an extra 2 weeks for not breaking any rules. In case you missed here is the reason stated that I got my first strike.

Well there's a valid correction. "implied threat" is actually the correct info. As has been the policy for many others.

"I'll say it Wallace. You come call me a liar to my face like you have here on the boards. See how that works out for you, player. I have no need to lie to useless waste of space like you."

Fine. If that is an implied threat, so be it. I'll take my strike and spend a week doing some other stuff.

But I felt the desire to explain myself somewhat since the mods deleted the posts and because the recipient had trolled me pretty hard to precipitate that response. How to do so, given I was off for a week?

I decided to post in the CGC journals. God knows I'd seen more OT posts in there before. Then I saw the publish to the boards checkbox and it occurred to me that my explanation might garner a greater audience that way. Away we went. In case you missed them, here are links.

Journal entry 1

Journal Entry 2

I think it's pretty clear from #3 that I didn't think I was doing anything wrong by publishing the journal to the boards. I figured they were deleting them as being OT. Certainly their right, even if a pretty specious rationale.

Journal Entry 3

Mind you, doing this is not prohibited. In fact, nowhere is it even mentioned that a person who is temporarily suspended is prohibited from posting on the boards. You can't set up a shill account because you lie on the info to set it up. It's well established that shilling will get you a longer vacation.

Instead, I see that Arch has now added another strike (? it's not clear) and another 2 weeks off. And for what exactly? Was it for getting called out on why it took 3 hours and a couple of journal posts to then decide to give the other party a strike? Was it an overreaction to being accused of being power mad? No, of course not. It was for the new board infraction of:

Circumventing a suspension and now wearing his own tinfoil hat.

I see.

When asked to reconsider by others (I won't name who but it's clear from this thread if you want to waste a huge chunk of time and others in PMs) this was the response:

Arch, you should undo the extra two weeks.

Nope. Transplant knew what he was doing.

Moderation here is not about some letter of the law enforcement in which adults get to poke around looking for "loop holes" to responsible and adult behavior and then get a pass because they were able to not get "caught" by a technicality of juvenile behavior.

There is no ex post facto. There is "act like a grown up".

The moderation rules are here to help lend a center point of expected behavior, but generally my expectation of the community is that people understand the spirit and abide by it. I feel no obligation to develop a many-page moderation "tax code". In fact, I feel that it generally only sends the message that people are not responsible for their own behavior standards but only to what they can "legally" get away with. Untrue.

As for his original strike, wholly deserved. Even more clearly so than Nerf's - whose strike was also deserved.

What kind of a community is this going to be if each forum dinner or con meet up is characterized by people wondering how many "say that to my face" challenges are going to turn into fist fights? No. Double no.

Query: what community is Arch trying to preserve exactly? As far as I know no one has ever met him (or her? I truthfully have no knowledge of whether it's been established what gender Arch is, nor do I care)? Anyone ever see him at a forum dinner? Trade some books with him at a show?

In the meantime, transplant is continuing to push his suspension because, like everyone who ever got a strike, he's suddenly all victim-ish, and because he probably thinks he's not going to get banned permanently over it.

Also untrue. I have no problem banning him.

Do the crime, do the time - and push it at your own peril.

1) I love the straw man arguments. I think no such thing. If anything, I don't think Arch has any connection whatsoever to any of the members here and will lose not 1 wink of sleep over anyone being gone. Not necessarily a bad thing, but kind of a silly argument to say that I somehow consider myself above and beyond the reach.

2) Again I ask, what crime? If the new standard is to understand and abide by the spirit of the community, then the first strike I get. The second . . . well . . . I leave that up to the reader.

Ultimately, that thread was locked, I'm sure, for some perfectly good reason that had nothing to do with any criticism of the mods. Thus, my post here. I can't post in response there, so this will have to do.

My final comment is this. I visited the boards throughout the time I was on vacation. The most indicative thing I saw was when the ads popped up in posts. It was really a microcosm of what I expect the responses here to be (if there are any members who made it this far and aren't asleep from boredom).

Some were upset at the ads.

Some were indifferent. Many of them were blessed, as am I, with adblocker and/or Google Chrome.

Some were ready to click every banner that popped up. Aren't we lucky to have such a fine place to hang out? CGC does this all out of the goodness of their hearts. We exist at their mercy. We have no right as consumers of their products. No expectations as to how the boards should be run or formatted or available. None. Thank you CGC boardmeisters for allowing us to continue here.

I really and truly appreciate the boards. Lately, it is more for the ease of connection with my friends that I met here. I'm grateful they are here. But that doesn't mean that I'm going to swallow everything that's put in front of me. This is my catharsis. I won't hold a grudge too much. In the time that I've been gone I realized that much of the inane chatter that happens is beyond my control. I will, as many of friends have suggested, learn to love the ignore function. If I should get another strike for not abiding by the spirit of the community, well, c'est la vie, as my French friend would say.

Rule #1 of debate: If you are defending, you are de-losing. hm

Rule #2 of debate: If you kick the people you are debating out of the debate, all they can do is defend.

I see you're the same churlish ray of sunshine you were 3 weeks ago. Who says vacations are not good for the soul? hm

It's funny, because up until the moment I got a strike for impliedly threatening someone :eyeroll: I was making a conscious effort to be less reactive/confrontational on the boards.

It's funny, because up until the moment I got a strike for impliedly threatening someone :eyeroll: I was making a conscious effort to be less reactive/confrontational on the boards.

I don't want you any differently than you are. :cloud9: