• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics? Nah, let's talk real nerd stuff!

48 posts in this topic

Oh boy. Some of you got me wanting to try it. Between coins, comics, and metal detecting if I add MTG to the mix my nerd status would be quite comprehensive. lol

If you like chess and poker you'll enjoy the game. It's easy to play but very difficult to play well. It probably takes 6 months to learn to play at a competent level for local tournaments, and several years to actually be good at the game.

I'd say it's a steadily growing hobby. I drive by a card shop that runs weekly tournaments and the parking lot has at least 20 cars in it every weekend. And mind you, I live in a small town.

I passed up MTG when I had my comic shop (circa 1996) when it was gaining momentum. I recall a friend who had a shop saying that the incentives were amazing at the time. I didn't poo-poo the idea of MTG, but lots of people were comparing that to POGS - that it would flame out and people would be stuck with all this backstock from the incentives.

But, it did stick, and I'm not sure why. My stepson plays it pretty heavy and I think it's very unimaginative and boring. Memorizing cards and playing them in a certain order to achieve victory? Where the Hell is the imagination in that? That's left brain stuff, for sure. Give me a DM, some dice and my character sheet - that's how you quest!

Oh boy. Some of you got me wanting to try it. Between coins, comics, and metal detecting if I add MTG to the mix my nerd status would be quite comprehensive. lol

If you like chess and poker you'll enjoy the game. It's easy to play but very difficult to play well. It probably takes 6 months to learn to play at a competent level for local tournaments, and several years to actually be good at the game.

Interesting comparison because that sums up chess perfectly, which of course is the greatest game ever invented. :sumo:

Except it takes years to be good enough even for amature tournaments.

All of these were published by Acclaim Comics

Antiquities War on the World of Magic the Gathering, 4 issues November 1995 - February 1996

Arabian Nights on the World of Magic: The Gathering. 2 issues December 1995 - January 1996

Convocations - A Magic: The Gathering Gallery, 1996 1 issue

Dakkon Blackblade on the World of Magic: The Gathering, 1996

Fallen Empires on the World of Magic the Gathering, 2 issues September 1995 - October 1995

Fallen Empires on the World of Magic the Gathering, 1996 1 issue

Homelands on the World of Magic: The Gathering, 1 issue February 1996

Ice Age on the World of Magic the Gathering, 4 issues July 1995 - October 1995

Legend of Jedit Ojanen: On the World of Magic: The Gathering, 2 issues March 1996 - April 1996

Legend of the Fallen Angel on the World of Magic: The Gathering, 1996 1 issue

Magic the Gathering--The Shadow Mage, July 1995 - October 1995

Magic the Gathering: Wayfarer, November 1995 - 1996

Magic: The Gathering - Nightmare, November 1995

Magic: The Gathering -- Elder Dragons, 1996 2 issues

Magic: The Gathering -- Shandalar, 1996 2 issues

Serra Angel on the World of Magic the Gathering, 1 issue August 1995

These are Non-Acclaim series

JuniorPress Magic: The Gathering, 1997 4 issues

Dark Horse Magic the Gathering, 1998

Dark Horse Magic: The Gathering - Gerrard's Quest, 1999

Any comments as to which series has the best art? Story? Value growth?

You must embrace Dungeons & Dragons.

Good, I can feel your geekiness. I am defenseless. Take your D20s. Throw them at me and strike me down with all the power of your bread stick arms and your journey towards the geek side will be complete!

My brother-in-law got into playing MTG at College. I eneded up giving him all of my cards as I hadn't played in like three or four years. The good thing about that is that most places that sell cards also sell comics so he has started to get into comics. Took him to Baltimore this year as his first con.

I love the Hildebrandts work, and it's instantly recognizable - but gah: that mauve/blueberry color palette they always seem to favor is as gross now as it was 15 years ago.

I played Magic the gathering from 1993 - 2004. I played in tournament formats but found my true interest in the game to be in group games with friends rather than 1 versus 1 duels. In the group game format, you can build the deck using whatever cards you own, and the fun was building a deck and discovering some new combination of cards your friends may never have seen before. With literally thousands of different cards out there the designs are limitless.

I played Magic the gathering from 1993 - 2004. I played in tournament formats but found my true interest in the game to be in group games with friends rather than 1 versus 1 duels. In the group game format, you can build the deck using whatever cards you own, and the fun was building a deck and discovering some new combination of cards your friends may never have seen before. With literally thousands of different cards out there the designs are limitless.

The most fun I ever had playing the game was in a group tournament. I played a Thallid deck and finished second. No one thought a Thallid deck would be a threat :devil:

I'd say it's a steadily growing hobby. I drive by a card shop that runs weekly tournaments and the parking lot has at least 20 cars in it every weekend. And mind you, I live in a small town.

I passed up MTG when I had my comic shop (circa 1996) when it was gaining momentum. I recall a friend who had a shop saying that the incentives were amazing at the time. I didn't poo-poo the idea of MTG, but lots of people were comparing that to POGS - that it would flame out and people would be stuck with all this backstock from the incentives.

But, it did stick, and I'm not sure why. My stepson plays it pretty heavy and I think it's very unimaginative and boring. Memorizing cards and playing them in a certain order to achieve victory? Where the Hell is the imagination in that? That's left brain stuff, for sure. Give me a DM, some dice and my character sheet - that's how you quest!

This is not an accurate summary of the game at all. Maybe when kids play it that's what it seems like but at any higher level of play there are many decisions and lines of play to consider every turn. There are also several different formats that are played regularly, some requiring you to bring a deck, and some where everyone builds a deck from a limited pool of cards they are given at the start. There are also casual variations and multiplayer formats.

The last multiplayer format I saw went something like 6 players in which one team has 3 players and this team can all attack but the catch is that the other team has like a king and he has two soldiers and the first team has to take out those before they can attack the king. The second team can all attack anyone or there is some catch with the king. Can't remember it all.

Anyways it went something like that.

It was interesting to watch.

At the LCS that I've visited, most action in the store was centered around the MTG games. There's usually more people buying the cards/playing the games at the store than there to buy comics.

There's a big x2 weekly show in So. Cal called Frank & Sons that's a giant warehouse of comics, toys, sports dealers and the most active space is a big wing of all the MTG players and dealers.

I never understood the game of magic cards, and when one guy I briefly knew a few years ago tried to explain it to me I was still lost.

Wish i knew someone who could teach it to me. Tried those demos on consoles/pc several times, get my arse handed to me everytime...

You start a "real nerd stuff" thread, and don't kick it off with metal detecting? :baiting:

WTF are you saying J-Hole, nothing wrong with metaldetecting :sumo: