• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay scam of my af15

42 posts in this topic

I have sent out numerous front and back cover scans to folks, so not sure "who" it is that is perpetuating the fraud hm

Unless you sent different scans to different people, that looks to be a different scan than the scan you provide me (one I received had top edge of slab cut off). It's definitely your book.

Since book originally sold on ebay, he/she could've lifted the scan from the ebay auction. Guess I'm hoping it was not one of the CGC board members - that would be quite bold and not too bright!

Good catch and hope ebay takes this seriously!

Those were my scans. Probably made multiple sets (thumbs u

Perhaps you should buy it again. I'm sure you could get free shipping. :devil:

I have sent out numerous front and back cover scans to folks, so not sure "who" it is that is perpetuating the fraud hm

Unless you sent different scans to different people, that looks to be a different scan than the scan you provide me (one I received had top edge of slab cut off). It's definitely your book.

Since book originally sold on ebay, he/she could've lifted the scan from the ebay auction. Guess I'm hoping it was not one of the CGC board members - that would be quite bold and not too bright!

Was hoping it might be a random thief, not someone who you had contact with. So, you might know this 33gooch, who sells watches, belts and other people's AF #15s! :P

Not the brightest bulb to steal your scan, then relist on the auction site you originally bought it! doh!

Was hoping it might be a random thief, not someone who you had contact with. So, you might know this 33gooch, who sells watches, belts and other people's AF #15s! :P

Not the brightest bulb to steal your scan, then relist on the auction site you originally bought it! doh!

I don't think he sold ANYTHING before, looks like he bought the belt, watch, etc....and there were only 3 purchases in the past year, before that it was dormant for a while.

Might be a hijacked ID.

Rick was the picture posted here, or did it only go to people who requested it?

Those sizes scans were never posted. Only emailed that I recall

Keep in mind images are really easy to resize. It's probably too late, but if you downloaded the scans from that site (or if you can get them from your cache) check to see if they're exactly the same size by looking at the properties.

If so, that's a bit of circumstantial evidence that points to who you emailed them to.

Those sizes scans were never posted. Only emailed that I recall

Keep in mind images are really easy to resize. It's probably too late, but if you downloaded the scans from that site (or if you can get them from your cache) check to see if they're exactly the same size by looking at the properties.

If so, that's a bit of circumstantial evidence that points to who you emailed them to.

easy to resize smaller but not larger without some clarity distortion

I am pretty sure you didn't need to show proof of ownership, Rick. :) I assume ebay was notified?

That was the 1st thing I thought! Good thing gator showed that pic or I would have though he was the scammer not the gooch!!! lol

Seriously though, it's like this that has made me quit using eBay altogether. People have the balls to do this, change grade stickers and a million other scams. I used to buy like 1/3rd of my books off eBay but I haven't bought one or even looked in months I don't think. It's sad how bad it's gotten :sorry:

Little did this insufficiently_thoughtful_person know who he was messing with! Of all the people he could have stolen a scan frpm, this brainiac picks gator who has a million and one friends and customers who know his books and follow his books. It is a little funny what a complete and utter fail he had picking a guy to steal scans from and try to pull a scam (tsk)

Just noticed this thread after starting another oops...

Glad the listing has vanished Rick. Although I would have been happier if I saw "no longer a registered user" under the user name :taptaptap: Will justice ever be done.

Well I have now got this user on my avoid list.

Another one down - so many more to go :makepoint:

Just noticed this thread after starting another oops...

Glad the listing has vanished Rick. Although I would have been happier if I saw "no longer a registered user" under the user name :taptaptap: Will justice ever be done.

Well I have now got this user on my avoid list.

Another one down - so many more to go :makepoint:

I suspect someone(s) from the board sent him a messaging letting him know they were on to him, and he pulled it himself. If that happened he's now free and clear from Ebay's scrutiny. That's why I didn't PM him.

I reported him, and if it kept going I was going to bid 10 million dollars and neg him.

Have you guys looked at the feedback this seller left? I think he is a she, she's been buying baby clothes. It's only the last few recent transactions that appear different.

There has only been one attempted sale, the recent feedback left by the seller (as a buyer) is in Caps and is totally different than the previous feedback.

I still think it was possibly a hi jacked ID...and as for someone calling the "seller" so they took the listing down...it would say the listing was ended.

I contacted security and sent a link to Gator's first post. Most probably, those contacts (I'm sure I was not the only one) helped them decide to end the listing...and if they thought it was hijacked, it could be the reason for the speed.

There are actually good sellers on eBay...but there have been way too many hijacked ids that make up a part of the scams.

Interesting. How do the account hijackers get paid? The linked PayPal account would still belong to the account owner. Can they so easily change it to their own PayPal?
Yes, if they got the eBay info it stands to reason they got the paypal info also and could easily add bank info etc

Interesting. How do the account hijackers get paid? The linked PayPal account would still belong to the account owner. Can they so easily change it to their own PayPal?

It happens, can be someone in the family or a worker in the house who sees a computer with saved passwords, or the person clicked on one of those phishing links to paypal.

What makes me wonder is the account was not used since 2010 and then all of a sudden, 3 rather expensive items are purchased in one month and this first time listing.

I always check the person's feedback as a SELLER before I bid, this person had none.

I was once the victim of an eBay scam, many, many years ago, not comics, glass forgery, so I'm very cautious.