• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, Which DC52 for You?

106 posts in this topic

Enjoying Batgirl the most so far.

JLA should be interesting

Catwoman also surprised me how good it was.

Animal Man is a vertigo book and they can have it terrible art.

GL and Batman were both good as well.

Overall DC hit a triple to possible home run.. I was really impressed with alot of titles.

Funny. I went to the LCS on Thursday to pick up other books but the Batgirls attracted me and I picked up the first two issues not knowing anything about the character and I'll be picking it up regularly after these first two issues :thumbsup:

How was the Batwoman? And who is Batwoman compared to Batgirl? I have never read any Batman title and the other Bat books I have read pre-date 1950 so I need some info.

Funny. I went to the LCS on Thursday to pick up other books but the Batgirls attracted me and I picked up the first two issues not knowing anything about the character and I'll be picking it up regularly after these first two issues :thumbsup:

How was the Batwoman? And who is Batwoman compared to Batgirl? I have never read any Batman title and the other Bat books I have read pre-date 1950 so I need some info.

Batwoman is Kat Kane if I remember right. No relation to Batgirl. Batwoman is fantastic. It doesn't seem to have a fresh take on the character the way most of the new 52 books do, but the art is great and the story line is solid, too.

I read the first two issues of Catwoman, and I actually like it quite a bit. Sure, the book totally focuses on Selina Kyle's sex appeal, but there's a story there, too. And she's a bad . I'm glad she's a thief again.

I do hope that the writers, who ever they may be when the time comes, shows more of her background. The way she instigates sex with Batman, and her reasons behind it, seem to hint at a darker background, as if something might have happened to her in her youth. I think her story will work a lot better if she uses sex for all the wrong reasons instead of a male writer simply working up some sex fantasy take on her character.

Action / Superman

Batman / Detective / Dark Knight

Green Lantern / GL New Guardians

Aquaman

Wonder Woman

Flash

Swamp Thing

Resurrection Man

Animal Man

Supergirl

Batgirl

Batwoman

Catwoman

Nightwing

Teen Titans

Justice League

Animal Man and Catwoman are probably the first to drop, I didn't like the #2's nearly as much as I did the #1's.

Batwoman is Kat Kane if I remember right. No relation to Batgirl. Batwoman is fantastic. It doesn't seem to have a fresh take on the character the way most of the new 52 books do, but the art is great and the story line is solid, too.

:hail: Thanks!! Someone actually replied to my question :)

I bought the first two issues yesterday anyway so I could make my own mind about the story. I had flipped through it for the art so I was willing to risk my $6 on it before I have to close my next DCBS order.

:hail: Thanks!! Someone actually replied to my question :)

I bought the first two issues yesterday anyway so I could make my own mind about the story. I had flipped through it for the art so I was willing to risk my $6 on it before I have to close my next DCBS order.

Hope you enjoy it. I first read her in Rucka's Detective Comics run a couple of years ago. I'm still a little worried that no one will compare to Rucka as far as story goes, but I'm willing to give the new guys a chance.

Thanks. I'll report on it once I read it.

I was about to pick up the Wonder Woman series but have wavered between picking it and not picking it up. People say the story is good but I have two reservations: 1) the art is not attractive to me one bit and 2) people like the story b/c it is rooted in mythology which, admittedly I am a snob, is making me worried since I don't know that Azzarello would be faithful or knowledgeable enough about mythology for my tastes.

Anyone have strong opinions about Wonder Woman? At this moment, I'll give it a pass and maybe wait for the trade on this one if the current buzz persists ...

Thanks. I'll report on it once I read it.

I was about to pick up the Wonder Woman series but have wavered between picking it and not picking it up. People say the story is good but I have two reservations: 1) the art is not attractive to me one bit and 2) people like the story b/c it is rooted in mythology which, admittedly I am a snob, is making me worried since I don't know that Azzarello would be faithful or knowledgeable enough about mythology for my tastes.

Anyone have strong opinions about Wonder Woman? At this moment, I'll give it a pass and maybe wait for the trade on this one if the current buzz persists ...

I liked Wonder Woman quite a bit, but then again, A) I liked the art, and B) I don't remember much about my mythology lessons. So, that's not much help to you, I suppose. :blahblah:

Read the following today.

Batman

Nightwing

Wonder Woman

Catwoman

Red Hood

JLA

Of all of them I still like Batman and Catwoman the best. Both are still well done in my opinion. Nightwing still shows very good promise with the background circus story.

Tried Wonder Woman again and still dont like the art even though it was better then issue 1 and cover didnt look like a 5 year old did it.

Red Hood I guess I have to read it again because I was utterly confused. Either the art confused me so bad I couldnt follow the store or they just isnt one there.

JLA is good and I expected as much but it didnt blow me away which is what I want from Johns and Lee.

I have only picked up Batwoman, and like it a lot.

I've finally read those two first issues of Batwoman and ... meh

I didn't know who the character was going in and I still don't know who she is from these first two issues. The other woman she goes out adventuring with is a mystery for new readers and she is neither introduced nor presented in any coherent manner. We have no idea what Batwoman's relationship with Batman is and, yet, we see them interact, hoping that we should know ??? There is waaaaay too much there for a supposedly NuDC to allow new readers to jump on. The only book I've felt like that so far of the ones I am reading.

Plus, the story in this book is also only so - so. A real disappointment ... I feel that I'll cut my losses at those $6 I spent on the first two issues. Please keep me informed about the rest but I am out.

On my pull before the New 52:

Nothing

On my pull now (all these were fantastic):

Animal Man

Batman

Aquaman

Swamp Thing

To be determined shortly:

All Star Western

Wonder Woman

Tried these, but they didn't make the pull:

Resurrection Man (may do trade on this)

Frankenstein

Flash

Demon Knights

Justice League Dark

Action

Justice League

Batwoman (loved the art and layouts. Story was meh)

Batgirl

Detective

No interest in the rest

The most disappointing book has to be Flash for me.

I didn't know who the character was going in and I still don't know who she is from these first two issues. The other woman she goes out adventuring with is a mystery for new readers and she is neither introduced nor presented in any coherent manner. We have no idea what Batwoman's relationship with Batman is and, yet, we see them interact, hoping that we should know ??? There is waaaaay too much there for a supposedly NuDC to allow new readers to jump on. The only book I've felt like that so far of the ones I am reading.

Plus, the story in this book is also only so - so. A real disappointment ... I feel that I'll cut my losses at those $6 I spent on the first two issues. Please keep me informed about the rest but I am out.

Sorry to steer you wrong. I think the book works because I read the earlier Detective run. But now that I think about it, I can imagine it not working for someone who doesn't know the character. It certainly doesn't answer anything for new readers.

Sorry to steer you wrong. I think the book works because I read the earlier Detective run. But now that I think about it, I can imagine it not working for someone who doesn't know the character. It certainly doesn't answer anything for new readers.

As a new reader, I second this. It was interesting that this book was advertised for a year or so ago. I was reading the Snyder Detective run recently and I guess this book was supposed to come out a while ago, but was shelved.

Aside from the art, I can't see anything about this book being able to draw in new readers. I didn't have a clue what was happening.

As a new reader, I second this. It was interesting that this book was advertised for a year or so ago. I was reading the Snyder Detective run recently and I guess this book was supposed to come out a while ago, but was shelved.

Aside from the art, I can't see anything about this book being able to draw in new readers. I didn't have a clue what was happening.

Glad to know I am not the only one. I don't blame you either Reno. I've been listening to a lot of podcast about the new books and they sounded fairly positive on this one ... just didn't happen for me that's all.

Before the NuDC, I was only buying Jonah Hex.

On my current pull list:

Batman

Catwoman

Swamp Thing (though on probation)

Frankenstein

Action Comics

Batgirl

Demon Knights

All-Star Western

Justice League Dark (though on probation)

DC for the win!!

I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised that the DC52 relaunch is making such a splash. It seems like a ton of buzz has been generated, and it's got readers like Scrooge re-interested in the lineup, which is cool. Hey, it got me to buy a few of the new Batbooks. (My first off-the-stands DCs in ten years!)

At the same time, it's kind of frustrating that the idea of this being a jumping-on point for new readers doesn't seem to have gotten through to some of the creative teams. It seems like with a stronger editorial hand... and relatively minor changes... DC could have ensured that anyone picking up ANY of the #1 issues would have understood enough of what is going on in that issue to come back for more.

I can understand keeping bits and pieces of things a mystery, but in broad strokes, a title like Batwoman (!) shouldn't be confusing for new readers, or require knowledge of years of back stories. Heck, I've been reading some of Alan Moore's ABC titles, and it's amazing how he can drop you into a new universe, introduce dozens of new characters on the fly, and still give you enough information in a first issue to understand what's going on and make it compelling.

You're right .5. I do buy quite a few books but mostly Vertigo and others here and there and resetting the entire series has allowed me an entry point to the DCU unlike any I have seen since coming to the US. I've always like the Batman as a concept and a character but was always daunted (though I shouldn't have been) by the series as per the sinopsis I was reading. DC starting from virtually scratch left me no choice but to honor what they are trying to do and I have been pleased with the results.

Batwoman is amazing, but I think in order to truly appreciate the character you have to go back to the Detective run. I think what happened with this title, and it seems pretty obvious, was it got delayed because of the new 52 concept. This title was supposed to launch a long time ago, but I think DC knew by then they were doing a complete relaunch and didn't want to start the title and then restart it all over again. The stories we are getting with this relaunch are the same ones we would have gotten when it was originally scheduled to release. I don't think they wanted to do complete rewrites just to make it more new 52 user friendly, which may be a mistake, but Williams has a hard enough time keeping up as it is.

These issues were also originally planned to release with Amy Reeder 1:10 variants, but they did away with that with the relaunch.