• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Need computer help

30 posts in this topic

Maybe I will sell a few things and invest in a IPAD II. I have two desktops, but enjoyed the freedom of a laptop.

I have an IPad II and while it's cool, it doesn't really replace a laptop.

Well, I found out it is the GPU that went bad. Apparently these were defective from the get go and it wasn't if your computer died but when. I just got off the phone with Lenovo and while its a manufacture's defect they will not replace it since the warranty ran out in Jan. Basicly I need a whole new board and its not cost effective to replace.

Well, I found out it is the GPU that went bad. Apparently these were defective from the get go and it wasn't if your computer died but when. I just got off the phone with Lenovo and while its a manufacture's defect they will not replace it since the warranty ran out in Jan. Basicly I need a whole new board and its not cost effective to replace.

To bad there is no class action against this, I know Dell had one for the 5150 laptop.

That stinks. I hate when companies don't stand behind their products. I had a panasonic dvd recorder that is known for having bad capacitors. I replaced it myself as the company wouldn't cover it and now a year later the unit is dead. I was going to reopen it to figure it out what is wrong now. But am probably going to junk it and never, ever purchase a panasonic again. Their boards look like a 5 year old soldered them.

Your warranty ran out in January? (Of this year?)

Definitely get a POST post warranty if it's around $150. (As it seemed to be in past years.)

Once you get that, they'll replace your motherboard for free. (I agree that it seems to be a GPU issue.)

Have you looked for replacement video cards for your laptop model, or does it have an integrated video card in the motherboard?

If the card is discrete, it might be worth replacing to get some more time out of the system.