• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official 2011 CGC Forums Holiday Gift Exchange Sign-up

618 posts in this topic

Mine is/was tough too. I just got their gift. I hope it's a good one.

There are some people that, based on what they collect, are extremely difficult to buy for.

One suggestion I'd like to make, moving forward, is that people get a little more specific in their requests.

Don't just list: "Silver Age Comics" or "Pre Code Horror" or "Marvel Masterworks", etc....

SA Comics covers alot of stuff. Same with Pre Code or GA books. List the titles you are working on or are interested in.

What if I buy you a mid-grade FF and you've already got it, or you only collect HG books? Or don't collect FF at all? What if I buy you some Spidey Masterworks, but you've already got them (and you really wanted the Xmen Masterworks)?

You weren't that specific when you lucked out with me a few years ago.

:slapfight:

But, I agree. I got a pretty general one, and had no idea how to address it. I lost the first auction for my gift in the last minute, then I thought I'd found a pretty decent replacement gift, but I just got a message from the seller (on eBay) saying basically "I'm sorry but I already sold that item you bid on and already paid for." Funny how now, two days later, that his other similar items have more than doubled in price... wondering if he's just now realizing the value of what he had listed.

Specific?? AHHH, it's a gift. Last time I checked, it's better to give than receive. I was very general on mine in that I think Holiday Ham's time and effort in this are more about the Season than the gift. Love the Secret Santa, love getting mail, love opening mystery packages!!! When I was a kid, any gift was a welcome gift. Just my two pennies. Merry Christmas to all..........

There are some people that, based on what they collect, are extremely difficult to buy for.

One suggestion I'd like to make, moving forward, is that people get a little more specific in their requests.

Don't just list: "Silver Age Comics" or "Pre Code Horror" or "Marvel Masterworks", etc....

SA Comics covers alot of stuff. Same with Pre Code or GA books. List the titles you are working on or are interested in.

What if I buy you a mid-grade FF and you've already got it, or you only collect HG books? Or don't collect FF at all? What if I buy you some Spidey Masterworks, but you've already got them (and you really wanted the Xmen Masterworks)?

But, I agree. I got a pretty general one, and had no idea how to address it. I lost the first auction for my gift in the last minute, then I thought I'd found a pretty decent replacement gift, but I just got a message from the seller (on eBay) saying basically "I'm sorry but I already sold that item you bid on and already paid for." Funny how now, two days later, that his other similar items have more than doubled in price... wondering if he's just now realizing the value of what he had listed.

Specific?? AHHH, it's a gift. Last time I checked, it's better to give than receive. I was very general on mine in that I think Holiday Ham's time and effort in this are more about the Season than the gift. Love the Secret Santa, love getting mail, love opening mystery packages!!! When I was a kid, any gift was a welcome gift. Just my two pennies. Merry Christmas to all..........

Agreed, but I'm so OCD about giving the perfect gift. I was raised a Jehovah's Witness so I didn't even know about Christmas until I was about twelve. Getting gifts is ok, but I strive to give excellent gifts. I know I'll go over the $ limit we're suppose to, but for me, I want to.

That's a good point. I was really vague with my request because I wanted to make it easy for whoever (more flexibility). But my n00b collection is really small so the chances are low someone will send a duplicate.

I did luck out, for sure. You hooked it up!!! :acclaim:

And I was specific enough that you got me everything that I wanted. I listed Marvel Masterworks Trades (Spidey and FF). That was fairly specific, no?

Agreed, but I'm so OCD about giving the perfect gift. I was raised a Jehovah's Witness so I didn't even know about Christmas until I was about twelve. Getting gifts is ok, but I strive to give excellent gifts. I know I'll go over the $ limit we're suppose to, but for me, I want to.

I always go way over the limit,it's hard to get comic book geeks that already have every key book or ultimate toy.I want to be unique in my gift. doh!

If I were running it then, you would've had a very specific list.

Oh, and your recipient PMd me. He said Strawberry Shortcake wants her dress back. :gossip:

Even though I person_without_enough_empathyed yesterday, I still love the Secret Santa tradition. I found something yesterday and I'm actually pretty excited to send it off. I think (and hope) that it's a cool gift. :wishluck:

The problem with mine was that..well..he/she, wasn't specific at all...I threw the dice on this...I think it's good but...well..hope they like it...

I think whatever you send will (should) be greatly appreciated.

well I was all excited about my purchase until the book came in cracked all the way down the middle... UGH

why have people not learned how to package correctly

thankfully the guy was very nice and I got a full refund (and he paid for return shipping as well) but now I am back to square one