• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Poster ?-pencil and ink marks on cover

30 posts in this topic

It's a tough call, but it stands at 2-1. hm

Given similar condition I'd still prefer collecting the book without the original owner's signature scribbled on it (front, back and/or interior), pedigree notwithstanding.

That said, from a dealer's or investor's standpoint I can certainly understand why the Recil Macon pedigree is prized, but I'm more motivated to collect based upon the apparent condition of books. The closer a comic is to it's newsstand appearance the better I like it.

So, I'll stand by my earlier comments. From a purely subjective POV, some pedigree markings are more desirable than others. :sorry:

I don't mind distrbutor codes or arrival dates if not too distracting. The White Mountain date is OK......names on the front I don't care for, inside is OK. I suppose that makes it 6.5-1.5 lol GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

did you vote for barack mccain?

:insane: .....yes, I'll take one of each. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Hi everyone, I'm totally new to posting, but have been reading these boards avidly for awhile now. Question, how do people feel about pencil or ink marks on covers of golden age books? Do they cut into the desirability of an otherwise high-grading book? Thanks!

It depends. I can only speak to my own personal preference/tastes here, but pencil marks are usually less of an issue than ink. Also, arrival date notation, in the form of an unobtrusive pencil/pen mark or store stamp can actually be desirable to pin-point the history of a particular book (in some cases providing a verifiable pedigree), but scribbled owners names and filled in coupons don't hold much appeal for me (even on pedigreed books).

Of course, everyone's mileage varies and a lot depends on the rarity and condition of the book or books in question. (shrug)

Hope that helps, and BTW, ...WTTB! (thumbs u

time for one of our non-scientific and largely b.s. polls. on the following back cover of an early jo-jo, in VF shape, vote "yes" if you'd prefer it WITH the writing, or "no" if you'd prefer it blank.

i'll start: YES. 1-0 in favor of "yes" currently

jojocoupon.jpg

:takeit:

here's one...

Very nice! :applause: The marks on the Bats cover aren't all that obtrusive, IMO; that's a nice looking book.

Here's a nice Guy Holcombe copy of Cap #10. I bought this one raw with full disclosure of the cover having been cleaned. The scan was old, but it took me awhile to pull the trigger because the ink signature on the cover was still very noticeable in the scan. hm

As it turned out the signature had apparently faded since the original scan while the cover's colors have remained vibrant (his signature is over the M; ...if you look very closely you may be able to make it out) . :cloud9:

Even though Mr. Holcombe had some very nice books, I don't believe that his collection has never been awarded a pedigree, but I'm totally OK with that. (thumbs u

img_CaptAmer10_084-1.jpg