• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Steve Jobs passes away.

259 posts in this topic

In memory of the Apple icon, here are the top 15 songs referencing Jobs and his impact as a tech innovator,

in no specific order.

1. Jay-Z - "The Prelude"

"Head and shoulders, my invisible neck/ You see Hova, wasn't digital yet/ Befo' Steve Jobs, made the iPod/ Was getting head, jobs, we call that intimate."

2. Diggy Simmons - "Made You Look" (Freestyle)

"I made you look/ Y'all are slaves to a page in my MacBook/ They didn't know I could rap/ I had them all shook."

3. Jamie Foxx feat. Kanye West, The-Dream - "Digital Girl"

"I want to see what's under there/ There now put it in the air/ Yeah load it on my MacBook Air/ It's a new form of macking, don't be old fashioned."

4. Rick Ross feat. Lil Wayne - "9 Piece"

"I'm smoking dope, I'm on my cell phone/ I'm selling dope, straight off the iPhone."

5. Fabolous feat. Paul Cain- "Steve Jobs"

"Getting mo' money it come with mo' problems, man/ I used to be Mac'ing but now I'm Steve Jobbin,' man"

6. Mindless Behavior feat. Diggy Simmons - "Mrs. Right"

"Let me kiss ya back/ Open up your MacBook/ Put me on your lap/ Stay sending smiley faces on the chat"

7. Common - "Southside"

"Back in '94 they call me Chi-town's Nas/ Now them ni**as know I'm one of Chi-town's gods/ We eatin', yo, you still talking no carbs/ A conscious ni**a with mac like Steve Jobs"

8. Chris Brown Feat. Tyga and Kevin McCall- "Ballin'"

"Look, BBC hat clean diamond snap hook/ Take a picture with it, like it's my last look/ Gold MacBook, cost $100,000 g's/ I don't give a with rats, I throw away the cheese"

9. Iyaz - "Replay"

"Shawty's like a melody in my head/ That I can't kep out, got me singin' like/ Na, na, na, na everyday/ It's like my iPod's stuck on replay, replay"

10. Kanye West feat. Swizz Beatz, Jay-Z, Pusha-T, CyHi The Prynce, RZA - "So Appalled"

CyHi: "I am so outrageous/ I wear my pride on my sleeve like a bracelet/ If God had a iPod, I'd be on his playlist/ My phrases amazing, the faces and places, the favorite"

11. Shawn Chrystopher - "Ashes On My MacBook"

"Blunt ashes on my MacBook"

12. Wiz Khalifa - "Ode to Naked Pop Stars"

"I don't know him, but whoever stole your Mac/ When I see him, I'mma pat him on the back... Like a nerd with no MacBook, look how pretty that lil' cat look"

13. Nicki Minaj feat. Lil Wayne - "I Get Crazy"

"I just came out of the mother f*cken old school/ Got my Mac notebook with the Pro tools"

14. Swizz Beatz feat. Coldplay - "That Oprah"

"Bill Gates, Steve Jobs/ iPhones, Microsoft/ My paper is very long, your paper is very soft"

15. B.o.B - "Don't Let Me Fall"

"Now I'm in your house/ Now I"m in your stove/ Now I'm everywhere that your iPod go/ Everything I seen was a dream just a moment ago"

http://www.billboard.com/column/the-juice/top-15-hip-hop-songs-referencing-steve-jobs-1005392742.story

Gates didn't develop DOS; he bought it.

Right. Forgot that... he "stole" it actually (considering the price paid).

Gates = Savvy. Opportunistic

Jobs = Innovator. Visionary. Creator

It's a separate question, but I think Gates deserves tons of credit and respect for what they're doing at the Gates Foundation. (And I'm an Apple guy.)

It's a separate question, but I think Gates deserves tons of credit and respect for what they're doing at the Gates Foundation. (And I'm an Apple guy.)

I've sarcastically felt that Gates is trying to even out his karma for all he's done to us with Microsoft. But it's hard to hate the guy with all his foundation is involved in.

I've sarcastically felt that Gates is trying to even out his karma for all he's done to us with Microsoft. But it's hard to hate the guy with all his foundation is involved in.

+1 He is really working toward some great things now that he has stepped back from Microsoft.

I would hope that is what he is remembered for.With the money Warren Buffett has agreed to donate his foundation is making a difference.

I agree Barton. I was commenting specifically on the "Gates vs. Jobs 'inventive' contributions to the world" question -- and how those contributions will be looked back upon historically.

As per Roy's suggestion I will no longer chastise Jobs.

This is an interesting read from The New Yorker. I do not stand alone.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/johncassidy/2011/10/steve-jobs-artist-or-hippie-capitalist.html?mbid=gnep

Jobs himself was quoted from a PBS documentary,

We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/johncassidy/2011/10/steve-jobs-artist-or-hippie-capitalist.html?mbid=gnep

Interesting article, thanks for posting it. If accurate, seems Jobs really "borrowed and inspired further innovation" more than I realized. He's still a "visionary" at the very least -- and also an amazing innovator in my mind (in the sense that he was able to take preliminary ideas to their full potential, changing them substantially in the process).

As to the post comparing Jobs vs. Gates' contributions, I'd concede that this information closes that gap somewhat in my mind. I was under the impression Jobs personally had more "flash of genius" moments.

Interesting article, thanks for posting it. If accurate, seems Jobs really "borrowed and inspired further innovation" more than I realized. He's still a "visionary" at the very least -- and also an amazing innovator in my mind (in the sense that he was able to take preliminary ideas to their full potential, changing them substantially in the process).

As to the post comparing Jobs vs. Gates' contributions, I'd concede that this information closes that gap somewhat in my mind. I was under the impression Jobs personally had more "flash of genius" moments.

Thank you for taking the time to read it. (thumbs u

I will add this about the "greatness" of those that we admire that often is not talk ENOUGH about...the teams they surrounded themselves with. A vision is nothing without all the lieutenants and soldiers getting things done.

I will always give people like Gates and Jobs a lot of credit for their abilities to find and surround themselves with people that can make the magic happened. Plenty of credits are given to their "teams" but in my opinions, NOT ENOUGH.

I admire Jobs more for his skills to assemble a great team more so than anything else the rest of the world want to crown him. He recognized great talents and squeezed the most out of his teams.

Doesn't matter he borrowed, stole, copied the ideas, or dreamed up on his own...making them work and work better than what are out there consistently have been a fun ride for a Mac nut like I am. I bought my first Mac in 2001 and never turned back to PC.

Long ago when I was a young man and I was lucky enough to be at a party with a lot of big wigs, CEOs and entrepreneurs, I had a great long conversation with a CEO.

It was a party to celebrate a birthday of the mom of my housemate at the time. Fancy black ties kind of party and I was really out of place since other than my roommate a the time, everyone else was 30 to 40 years older. One of the CEO introduced himself to me and over the course of conversation he asked "so, what do you want to do after grad school?"...I told him I wasn't sure but I always wanted to run my own business. What? I have no idea since I haven't come up with anything brilliant yet.

He left the conversation with one last comment/advice to me.... "whatever you do with your future business, don't waste your energy inventing things because there are a lot of people doing that already..focus on what is already out there, see how you can make it better and you will find success...trust me and make sure you surround yourself with smart capable people".

Fast forward many years later, I started 4 start ups and 3 of them failed and one succeeded and still going strong today. The 3 that failed were brand new things I invented/created and the one that worked is business idea that existed before that I improved/reinvented and thrive.

No doubt Jobs is a great Visionary and a great leader in my opinion....other accolades are secondary.

I will add this about the "greatness" of those that we admire that often is not talk ENOUGH about...the teams they surrounded themselves with. A vision is nothing without all the lieutenants and soldiers getting things done.

I will always give people like Gates and Jobs a lot of credit for their abilities to find and surround themselves with people that can make the magic happened. Plenty of credits are given to their "teams" but in my opinions, NOT ENOUGH.

I admire Jobs more for his skills to assemble a great team more so than anything else the rest of the world want to crown him. He recognized great talents and squeezed the most out of his teams.

Doesn't matter he borrowed, stole, copied the ideas, or dreamed up on his own...making them work and work better than what are out there consistently have been a fun ride for a Mac nut like I am. I bought my first Mac in 2001 and never turned back to PC.

Long ago when I was a young man and I was lucky enough to be at a party with a lot of big wigs, CEOs and entrepreneurs, I had a great long conversation with a CEO.

It was a party to celebrate a birthday of the mom of my housemate at the time. Fancy black ties kind of party and I was really out of place since other than my roommate a the time, everyone else was 30 to 40 years older. One of the CEO introduced himself to me and over the course of conversation he asked "so, what do you want to do after grad school?"...I told him I wasn't sure but I always wanted to run my own business. What? I have no idea since I haven't come up with anything brilliant yet.

He left the conversation with one last comment/advice to me.... "whatever you do with your future business, don't waste your energy inventing things because there are a lot of people doing that already..focus on what is already out there, see how you can make it better and you will find success...trust me and make sure you surround yourself with smart capable people".

Fast forward many years later, I started 4 start ups and 3 of them failed and one succeeded and still going strong today. The 3 that failed were brand new things I invented/created and the one that worked is business idea that existed before that I improved/reinvented and thrive.

No doubt Jobs is a great Visionary and a great leader in my opinion....other accolades are secondary.

I agree whole-heartedly.

I agree whole-heartedly.

Here's another article about the not so bright side of Jobs.

http://gawker.com/5847344/what-everyone-is-too-polite-to-say-about-steve-jobs

I agree whole-heartedly.

This article isnt saying anything different than what I've been saying, only that im the devil for doing so He was the polar opposite of the people that idolized him. People who speak about free-speech, global equality, and other humanist acts. Although, as I type this, maybe I understand now that at least Jobs was the true colors of those that did idolize him. Only difference is that Jobs didn't hide behind a false identity. That I can most definitely appreciate.

In all fairness as in many articles by all the so called writers and bloggers all over the net these days, most failed to point out anything positives about Jobs and his relationship with his first daughter Lisa by omitting the positives.

They mostly made it sounded as if he denied being her father

true

but he did eventually acknowledge (whether by the legal system or not)

and he did support her and paid for her education at Harvard....heck she even adopted his last name...

so it is absolutely silly for people to write about his initial denials and her Harvard education as if she succeeded DESPITE his neglects.

In all fairness, A lot of successful entrepreneurs/leaders that I know are tyrants at time. Hell I am no billionaire but I can tell you most of my staff over the past 10 years will tell you horror stories on how volatile I can be and how nasty I have been to them at time. I have had spouses called me up and said "how dare you treat/talk to my husbands this way"...so I am no saint either.

None has quit and all will tell you that I went ballistic(occasionally/often overboard) on things that they failed repeatedly. I always tell my staff, my 4 years sold son can get away with making the same mistake 5 times...I won't put up with the adults that work for me. I am certainly not proud of my behaviors at time but that is how my brain works. I am 46 so I don't think i will change.

We are all very flawed and it is silly to expect perfections. I for one couldn't careless what other people think about moi. All I care is my wife and son think I am a good husband and a good father...the rest is business and it is survival of the fittest.

I have a saying in business..."nice guy don't even finish"

Yes, I am guilty of telling my customers "you don't f***king know what you want, let me tell you what you want".."yes, you are paying me but I will do what I think is best, not what you think you want because you don't know ste"....i am even ruder to my customers than my staffs....crazy but true.

I agree whole-heartedly.

This article isnt saying anything different than what I've been saying, only that im the devil for doing so He was the polar opposite of the people that idolized him. People who speak about free-speech, global equality, and other humanist acts. Although, as I type this, maybe I understand now that at least Jobs was the true colors of those that did idolize him. Only difference is that Jobs didn't hide behind a false identity. That I can most definitely appreciate.

yes, very true for me.