• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frightened by a mouse!

14 posts in this topic

A bit off topic, but this does relate to SA books!

Back in 1999 we were having some major building work done at home so I wanted to get my comic books away somewhere safe. Some went to family members for storage but six large plastic containers full were too bulky for anyone to have. So I managed to get then stored in the company archive of one of my friends. And there they stayed. Meanwhile the house got back running again and I fetched back all the family stored boxes. I then really began to focus on CGC books and never got around to collecting those six boxes.

Nearly twelve years later I thought it really time to get them so went round to collect. Apart from a little dust layer on the plastic boxes they looked fine. However, during all these years I had used up my space allocation for them so just for short time I took them to my sister's place and put them in their garage. A fairly stable environment this time of year to leave them for a week or so.

Today I went round to collect them. They were where I left them - in a corner stood on newspapers and covered in sheets used to protect the floor during painting. Well, my heart raced. The sheets were partly shredded into little piles of stuffing. Mouse droppings all over. Never been a mouse problem there before. The whole scene looked so destructive. Fortunately, the heavy plastic boxes were good enough protection and nothing has got into any boxes. If I had used cardboard long boxes instead who knows how much damage would have been done?

Well, I am mightily relieved to get the boxes safely here back home. I have not opened any as yet but keep examining them all over even though I can clearly see they are all perfectly intact!

Looking forward to opening them up and breathing that 20th century air once more and, of course, seeing these long stored books once again!

Just watch out in your own collections for any pesky mice!

Glad to hear that the books are safe.

We've just had a couple members get their basement flooded, without it being part of Iris coming up along the East Coast, so it pays to watch out for the obvious dangers.

BTW, rats can chew though thin layers of sheet metal. :eek:

Natural attrition will lead to a smaller population which spells out rarer, scarcer, harder-to-find & more expensive comic books that'll all pretty much end up in museums and archives, eventually, I mean, think about it in terms of several, if not many, generations from now. Huh? Whazzat? What-chew-say? Rats got 'em?

The Geek SHALL Inherit the Earth (and Reap the Whirlwind.)

Post your worst "Rat-Chew" covers. lol

I bought this for like $10 ay my LCS about 20 years ago. Other than the chew, its a REAL nice book :cry:

comic112.jpg

I looked at this top pic and thought "Oh, that's just some Marvel ch...oh no its not."