• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All Star Western #1

7 posts in this topic

Has anyone else read this one yet? I just read it last night.

I have always enjoyed Jonah Hex stories over the years and the last few years have been fantastic. With the New 52 reboot and Jonah ending up in Gotham in the 1880's I was a bit skeptical. It gave me flashbacks of Hex.

I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I am looking forward to the rest. I do get a "London" feeling from the art of Gotham and I think it works.

Thoughts?

Hi, I just read this last night as well, and really loved it! I haven't read much of the new 52, except: Batman and Animal Man (both of which I enjoyed). I honestly have not read any Jonah Hex previously to this though (ducks head), but cannot wait until issue two!

I read it last night. The first issue dispelled some of the fears I had from the story moving Hex to Gotham. The story is OK. The psychoanalysis gimmick for the narrative voice is good though I hope they stop it sooner than later and do hope that once this story is done, Hex goes back West or at least on the road.

I am not a Moritat fan. Didn't care for his work on the Spirit but he made this work better. I don't particularly care for the colors though. The whole book is brown ???

I read it last night. The first issue dispelled some of the fears I had from the story moving Hex to Gotham. The story is OK. The psychoanalysis gimmick for the narrative voice is good though I hope they stop it sooner than later and do hope that once this story is done, Hex goes back West or at least on the road.

I am not a Moritat fan. Didn't care for his work on the Spirit but he made this work better. I don't particularly care for the colors though. The whole book is brown ???

I didn't really notice last night but you're right it is a constant shade of brown. lol

I didn't mind the narrative voice and it did help ease you into the story but it will get a little tedious. I did like the Arkham, Wayne and Cobblepot ancestors. Made me :) a little.

It was the only 52 book I bought - and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was actually intrigued by the idea of Hex heading for the Wild East as a direction that hadn't really been explored in his various titles over the years to my knowledge.

The Palmiotti era has been uneven, as can be expected with longer running monthly titles, but enough solid storytelling pops up to keep me buying, and I rather like that a variety of artists have had a chance to draw Hex in recent years, both covers and interiors. It helps keep the book interesting.

I know some may think it blasphemy, but I find the Palmiotti and copper era Lansdale

incarnations of Jonah Hex more entertaining than the Bronze to early 80s version.