• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Discounts?

24 posts in this topic

So which method or combination of methods saves you the most money in the long run for getting books graded?

1. CGC premium membership at $109, 10% and 3 free submissions

2. Submitting comics through dealer, save 20%

3. Taking comics to convention and dropping them off, save 10%

I'm new here and have been wrestling with how/what to send in for a few months.

Unfortunately, there isn't any dealers to drop off books to in Montana, so for me that option is out.

Taking your books to a convention is good, because shipping and insurance is stupidly expensive. - but again, there isn't a convention anywhere near Montana, so that option is out for me.

My only solution is getting the subscription and doing three per year. And even then, shipping/insurance is expensive on a per piece average, but I don't have any other choice.

If you have the option to actually drop off to CGC or a dealer without having to pay a bunch in shipping, I would do that in a cold minute.

If you get the subscription then you can send in any 3 books valued upto $3,000 each and it has a fast turn around of 20 days.

Plus, once you are a subscriber you get 10% discount on future submissions.

If you are submitting any books that are valued from $1,000-$3,000 then it is a no brainer to subscribe as those books can only be submitted through express at the rate of $85 a piece.

Even at standard for books upto $1,000 it is $54 a piece.

Plus the only way you can check online is if you are a subscriber. If not, you have to call and bother someone at CGC everyday until you get the grade.

I am happy to renew my membership this month for another year.

I'm new here and have been wrestling with how/what to send in for a few months.

Unfortunately, there isn't any dealers to drop off books to in Montana, so for me that option is out.

Taking your books to a convention is good, because shipping and insurance is stupidly expensive. - but again, there isn't a convention anywhere near Montana, so that option is out for me.

My only solution is getting the subscription and doing three per year. And even then, shipping/insurance is expensive on a per piece average, but I don't have any other choice.

If you have the option to actually drop off to CGC or a dealer without having to pay a bunch in shipping, I would do that in a cold minute.

Like I said it depends on your goal. Shoot me a PM. (thumbs u

So which method or combination of methods saves you the most money in the long run for getting books graded?

1. CGC premium membership at $109, 10% and 3 free submissions

2. Submitting comics through dealer, save 10%

3. Taking comics to convention and dropping them off

You don't need a dealer to submit your books to CGC and get a 10% discount, you can do it yourself. You do not need to be a member of anything to get the 10% discount, it is free for everyone. Just use the submision links on the CGC website, fill out the forms, and send them directly from your hands to CGC. The only reasons I can think of to use a dealer is if he's going to give you the full 20% discount or he'll give you a discount on shipping.

None of the above depending on your slabbing goal. :)

you have me curious, which way would you recommend? not to impose, but i'm sorting through a short box and prioritizing. but hey, if i can save some money...

None of the above depending on your slabbing goal. :)

you have me curious, which way would you recommend? not to impose, but i'm sorting through a short box and prioritizing. but hey, if i can save some money...

I have always offered the same deal.

I believe if you use Classics Inc, to do any services on your book, you will get a 20% discount when submitted to CGC

So the option in saving/making the most $$ in the long run would be to have books pressed and then submitted through dealer?! To save the 20% and increase grades for books!

I believe if you use Classics Inc, to do any services on your book, you will get a 20% discount when submitted to CGC

So the option in saving/making the most $$ in the long run would be to have books pressed and then submitted through dealer?! To save the 20% and increase grades for books!

I am not sure if other dealers still offer the 20% discount. I miss the days when you can just fill out the submission form from a dealer in one of the choices and get a 20% discount out of it or 30% if you have your books submitted by an actual dealer I believe.

If your books are going to gain big bucks by a pressing then yes. Send to Joey (who did amazing work on some of my books) and have him submit them.

But if you are only going to send in a couple of higher dollar books ($350- $3,000) then becoming a member is the CHEAPEST route.

If you are submitting moderns then I guess it would be cheaper to use a dealer, I myself would not as you have to rely on yet another person to handle your books. Too many stories of dealers holding books for extended periods of time (probably to ship more at once to save on shipping). Or books coming back in lower grades than expected, leaving the submitter to assume the dealer did something wrong.

And you cannot track them via internet.

I love my local dealer, but he was the one who suggested I buy my mebership in the first place.

Pretty much all the books that I am looking to submit are all moderns.

My local dealer only offers a 10% discount for CGC so does the 10% from being a free member add up to 20%? Or does the discount from dealer vary?

So pressing is mostly good for books that are either high value $350+? I probably only have a few modern within that range. Otherwise, it is really worth it?!!

Dealers get a 20% discount, passing 10% on to you and profitting the other 10% (which is not much at all).

If you have moderns I would only press books that will get a 9.8 or higher after pressing. Pretty much any modern not in a 9.8 will not be worth the cost of pressing, shipping and insurance to the presser, shipping and insurance to CGC, grading fees and shipping/insurance back to tou. Let alone the cost you paid for the book.

I myself send lower grade/less valuable books (usually silver age) in, not for value. But for personal reasons as I want to preserve THAT specific book, maybe I have had it for awhile, or someone important gave it to me etc.

If you have a few moderns over $350 in value, then I would get the membership, use the coupon to send those higher dollar books in and then have the 10% for yourself to ship books that do not need to be pressed.

So you only get 10% of the 20%?!! So why do Dealers advertise 20% then?

Thanks for your thoughts. I think is probably what I will do. Maybe save a little on shipping by hand delivering for pressing and to CGC at the next con.

I commend chunkybutt for taking the time and going through it to the extent that he did; the only thing I would add is that, in my humble and limited experience with pressing, not all books will benefit from doing so...

I agree with chunky to send the books to Joey for this; take a look at some of the older sales threads and you can get a sense of his experience and confidence that people have in him (his portfolio, I guess).

Be very weary on who you let handle your books, especially high grade. Some dealers and collectors just don't care. My good friend could care less about whether it is a 9.6 or 9.8 and handles books accordingly - he only cares if they present well. Same as my comic dealer - I don't know how many times I went to purchase a book and he grabbed it, threw it on top of his ordering forms, and then put the receipt on top of the stack for me to sign, and handed it back to me as the book was bowing due to the fact that he was only holding it by the corner. Needless to say, I stopped looking for HG books from him,I just go there to buy mid-grades and talk comics.

That's just my 2c - Good luck with your subs!