• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wonder Woman 21 Mile High copy

43 posts in this topic

I was looking through the upcoming Comiclink auction and found this:

WonderWoman2196.jpg

I was sure that I had seen the Mile High copy before, but it was a different book. A quick search of the Heritage archives revealed:

WonderWoman2194.jpg

Does anyone know if there were 2 Church copies? I haven't checked the master list, but I think it is on the boards somewhere. If there were not 2 copies, then it raises some issues for all the parties involved.

I was looking through the upcoming Comiclink auction and found this:

WonderWoman2196.jpg

I was sure that I had seen the Mile High copy before, but it was a different book. A quick search of the Heritage archives revealed:

WonderWoman2194.jpg

Does anyone know if there were 2 Church copies? I haven't checked the master list, but I think it is on the boards somewhere. If there were not 2 copies, then it raises some issues for all the parties involved.

Could we take the first wrap off the double cover and marry it to another interior and create a third Mile High copy?

Well i am no pedigree expert, but i have seen multiple copies of pedigree books before. Detective comics #168 - D-copy. Clearly these are two different books. Note the "D" written in pencil in the D in "Detective" on the VF- copy.

Tec#168 on HA.com - D-copy

I assume that the owner just happened to buy more than one copy, but who knows for sure (shrug)

Any experts out there? I am curious about this too.

They're definitely two different copies. One of them is a double cover. The only question is whether there are two Church copies of Wonder Woman #21, or did CGC mistakenly flag one of the copies as the Mile High when it's actually just a very pretty non-pedigree.

I own the Wonder Woman #21 Mile High 9.4. It is my understanding that the double cover #21 is not the Mile High copy. The #21 double cover though sure is a great looking book!

Not doubting you, but how do you know that yours is the Church copy? Is it still slabbed? I'm curious how people are identifying these pedigrees when the provenance has been lost and there is no coding to rely on.

I own the Wonder Woman #21 Mile High 9.4. It is my understanding that the double cover #21 is not the Mile High copy. The #21 double cover though sure is a great looking book!

Not doubting you, but how do you know that yours is the Church copy? Is it still slabbed? I'm curious how people are identifying these pedigrees when the provenance has been lost and there is no coding to rely on.

The book is still slabbed. There was a thread many years ago about the double cover #21 probably not being the Church copy. I will see if I can locate that thread and bump it.

Just bumped the thread that discusses the WW #21 double cover and it probably not being the Mile High copy. Thread is titled "oldest double/triple cover"

Just bumped the thread that discusses the WW #21 double cover and it probably not being the Mile High copy. Thread is titled "oldest double/triple cover"

(thumbs u

Thanks to 1962 for bumping the thread on oldest double/triple covers. The comments made by Timely in that thread are quite helpful.

The issue I wanted to raise was the error rate on aspects GGC encapsulation. I'm not talking about subjective things like grading or page color, but on objective things like page count (has anyone ever cracked a book and found a missing page or coupon that wasn't noted.)

The issue of pedigree notation is somewhere in between as it is open to expert opinion. One might think that once one book has been assigned a pedigree notation, another copy of the same book couldn't get the same designation without careful consideration - and perhaps a check of their database to see if there already is a copy with that same pedigree. Mistakes will be made, it is just a matter of how often.

So, how does CGC determine the pedigree status? Do they take the submitter's word for it? a COA perhaps? are they just that good at identification? Not long ago there was a guy posting a book he had cracked and resubed and apparently he did not notice or care about the pedigree designation.

They're definitely two different copies. One of them is a double cover. The only question is whether there are two Church copies of Wonder Woman #21, or did CGC mistakenly flag one of the copies as the Mile High when it's actually just a very pretty non-pedigree.

Another question: did The Dentist own it at one time...?