• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic shops that won't sell you multiple copies?

23 posts in this topic

Anyone else ever run into this?

My LCS refused to sell me multiple copies of recent "hot books." I'm not known for going crazy on wild speculations, but I do entertain a good "flip" every now and then, and Superman/Batman #8 and the Gold edition of the Secret War #1 book are two examples. They would only sell me a single copy of each, claiming that supply is lower than demand.

Is this standard practice?

No but understandable. There are both good and bad reasons to do this. If they sell all copies to specs/flippers, then they don't have any left for promoting the title to new prospective subscribers (this would be the top reason for me) or to sell later down the road to those looking for back issues, which obviously sell for more than cover at a premium (if the title is still hot). Best way to solve this is if you pre-arrange a subscription deal through your LCS to order multiples ahead of time, and have the LCS place the extra order along with their Previews order in advance. This way, their normal supply is not affected.

Sometimes though, you will get some of the more unscrupulous dealers who will only fill the subscriptions on a hot book and then markup the remainder (the same day/week) because they anticipate it flipping for higher on eBay?

Also Supes/Bats has 3 printings so there is plenty of supply for demand. And the Commemorative Edition of Secret Wars 1 (gold foil) may have the same appeal as the FF500 Director's Cut edition or the Supreme Ppower 1 Special edition...extra artwork or interviews...

and you should probaby go with an online seller vs. your LCS if they can't accommodate your collecting "idiosyncracies"

If the store gets its revenue from new comics rather than from back issues, this is a very common practice. Why sell 10 copies of a book to one guy, when you can sell one each to ten people and get five of them to come back next month for the next issue? Plus, if you sell out of a recent book too quickly, you run the risk of having customers shop elsewhere because they don't think you will have the books they want.

It's more of an issue with Marvels than DCs because of the reorder situation. But it's a very common practice.

Dealers know that the guy who buys 10 copies of a book has no loyalty to his store. The ten guys who each buy one copy do. So keeping them happy is far more important...

I find that if you PRE-ORDER multiple copies from your REGULAR comic book store then you don't have to worry about being capped or alocated copies by said comic shop down the line.

Hopefully they will trust you enough that you will come thru with the cash when the books arrive.

I also realize that it is not easy to know three months down the line what will be hot or not, but for some books it's a no-brainer, such as Jim Lee on Superman, Michael Turner on Superman or Superman/Batman, etc.

you're around shocked.gif

Well.... "the month that shall not be named" is finally over... And I have been plowing through my to-do list at breakneck speed... I checked seventeen things off a list of forty overdue tasks yesterday, and am working my way through the rest now. Doped up on painkillers and caffeine, I expect to be caught up on emails and PMs by tomorrow afternoon. Then I have some wonderful stories to tell about WonderCon... But for now I need to leave this place, before I get sucked back in and waste my entire afternoon reading old flame wars that I missed... tongue.gif

you're around shocked.gif

Well.... "the month that shall not be named" is finally over... And I have been plowing through my to-do list at breakneck speed... I checked seventeen things off a list of forty overdue tasks yesterday, and am working my way through the rest now. Doped up on painkillers and caffeine, I expect to be caught up on emails and PMs by tomorrow afternoon. Then I have some wonderful stories to tell about WonderCon... But for now I need to leave this place, before I get sucked back in and waste my entire afternoon reading old flame wars that I missed... tongue.gif

Send me my Overstreet. mad.gifgrin.gif (Could NOT find the "God damn it" .wav from Ferris Beuller - I'm just busting your chops.)

Try the Vicodin/Jolt cocktail. You'll feel NO PAIN.

Smokinghawk

Buy them at Midtown Comics

Do they arrive Mint?

One advantage of shopping at my LCS is that I can hand-select the best copies. I fear that subscribing to a set-aside of key issues might net me my three copies, but not necessarily in the condition I'd select.

Smokinghawk

Do they arrive Mint?

One advantage of shopping at my LCS is that I can hand-select the best copies. I fear that subscribing to a set-aside of key issues might net me my three copies, but not necessarily in the condition I'd select.

totally understand. I order from www.comic-central.com or www.comicsinfinity.com and am pretty happy all the time.

Smokinghawk

Do they arrive Mint?

I say 95% come mint the only ones that are tuff are any of the Ultimates and the new Superman. I went to the two midtown stores in the city today. To try and find a mint copy of Superman. They all had the same dink right under the top staple 893frustrated.gif

I also just placed a order with http://www.bobscomics.com/ I will post my thoughts when I get the order. My friend loves them.

My LCS refused to sell me multiple copies of recent "hot books."

I remember one of my LCSs in Massachusetts limiting to, as I recall, either 2 or 3 copies each for Thor 337. Guess this has been going on for a while! grin.gif

I remember one of my LCSs in Massachusetts limiting to, as I recall, either 2 or 3 copies each for Thor 337. Guess this has been going on for a while! grin.gif

There was a dealer at WonderCon selling Thor #337's 3 for $10. Guess it's not that hot any more...

There was a dealer at WonderCon selling Thor #337's 3 for $10. Guess it's not that hot any more...

It's too bad, because that Simonson run is a classic. One of my favorite ongoing Thor stories ever. cloud9.gif