• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade my Iron man #1 please

36 posts in this topic

Also take my harsh grading with some temperment - you should see how harsh I am on MY own comics - I am one of those guys that believes in undergrading a bit just to prevent the prevalent "overgrading" that occurs in this great Hobby. I am sure that some of the overgrading is truly unintentional, and I think I was overgrading a bit years ago - but since my foray with eBay/Yahoo! I decided to stick to the undergrade school. Better to undergrade and let the others think they are getting the best of it and if they are, you can't lose! To even things up I will post some of MY comics and let you guys take a shot at me - and I will ask Redhook first if I can PM beforehand what I think the grade is before I post the comics. I have not asked him yet if he would do this, but if he cannot do this I will find a suitable neutral party I trust( maybe Darth or someone like him) and see how this goes. Hope this is as fun for everyone else as it is for me!!!

CAL hi.gif

You're not "selling" this comic, so you have no excuse to undergrade it. Cal, I think you're a nice guy and don't want to offend you, but if you're just going to intentionally undergrade everyone's books on these threads, why participate? The idea is to be "accurate," not unduly strict.

I'll call a 6.0, but no one it goes an 8.0 with all those defects. Everyone of my CGC 8.0 looks NM with visable flaws. That copy has way more defects than any of my 7.0 and 7.5 and about the same as my 6.0's.......so 6.0 it is thumbsup2.gif

You're not "selling" this comic, so you have no excuse to undergrade it. Cal, I think you're a nice guy and don't want to offend you, but if you're just going to intentionally undergrade everyone's books on these threads, why participate? The idea is to be "accurate," not unduly strict.

Respectfully disagree with you 100% in your statement in it's entirety.

MY idea of grading is to be ACCURATE and shave a tad on the UNDERGRADE side. I am not intentionally undergrading everyone's books on these threads. I am grading the comic books as if I was a grading company just like CGC.

I am not trying to pat myself on the back, but my eBay feedback speaks for itself - the comments about how happy the Buyers are with my grading is exactly what I am after. The same standards( OSGG) are applied on eBay and my private sales.

Already bumped the Thread that everyone else OVERGRADED the man's ASM 129 - I got it right because I have vast experience in grading; and I think I know what to look for in grading comic books.

Some of that I will state is luck BECAUSE without the comic in hands, it is hard to get the "look-and-feel" of a TRUE grade - only using a scan is somewhat limited, but a scan os better than no scan. Yes, I got this ONE right, and there was another one I got right that everyone else OVERGRADED, but I cannot find that Thread right now. But I could be .5 or 1.5 off the next 5 Threads and that is in itself not a bad thng - a MLB batter grounds out a lot and gets no credit to improve his average. This applies to everyone, not just me.

I gotta go now, but I hope this post serves you well. Of course I am not offended at your retort back at me as you have already posted several times about my "STRICT" grading, but how would your words be sent to me if others told you I OVERGRADED? Not a good thing, so if I have made some upset here, at least I am on the right side of being wrong - and that is the downfall of a FEW graders here on this Forum: grading is NOT exact - but a consensus of experiences graders is easily followed and much more acceptable, but MOST importantly: CLOSE TO THE MARK. I think my "strictness" is directly correlated to your "accuracy". Just different ways to look at things. AND better for all for us to go through these growing pains of grading NOW than to find out later down the road that we were way off???

More later when I return

CAL hi.gif

I got it right because I have vast experience in grading; and I think I know what to look for in grading comic books.

27_laughing.gif ...so you are the "C" in CGC.... 27_laughing.gif

The upside of this comic IS the superior gloss - it probably has retained close to 60 - 75% of said gloss and makes a very presentable comic book and thus a desired copy for just about anyone's collection.

Is it just me, or does Iron Man #1 characteristaclly display superior gloss, even in lower gardes. I've opwned a few copies over the years from VG to NM and on all of them the cover colors really "punched". Maybe it is that purple?

Is it just me, or does Iron Man #1 characteristaclly display superior gloss,

I've found that purple books, as a rule, seem glossier....don't know why ...but it just seems that way.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Same here, POV. I've yet to see a dull copy, even in VG.
I own 2 copies (one VG, the other F-, and both have very high cover gloss. I think the ink used on that cover is slightly different... it seems thicker, somehow... definitely unusual.

I have some VG copies that do not have much cover gloss. They do exist.

CAL hi.gif

I own 2 copies (one VG, the other F-, and both have very high cover gloss. I think the ink used on that cover is slightly different... it seems thicker, somehow... definitely unusual.

In thinking a bit I realize the purple is the result of some VERY deep cyan and magenta. Probably along the order of 100% Magenta and maybe 70-80% cyan. A bit of black and maybe 5% or so yellow. Anyway, the cyan and magenta inks are so dense that probably helps account for the depth and "richness".

My color eye is a bit out of practice - hope DiceX sees this - he should be able to break it down more accurately.