• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are these Bob Kane sketches authentic?

16 posts in this topic

Hi all:

There is a discussion on an autograph chat board about some Bob Kane sketches.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/bob-kane-batman-sketch-question-any-opinions?commentId=3524372%3AComment%3A177947&xg_source=msg_com_forum

Can someone take a look and let us know if think these are authentic?

Thanks!

Here's the problem: Bob Kane used ghosts for so many things -- published pages, sketches, fan requests and whatnot -- that it's hard to say.

Famous story: Bob Kane started to relax by drawing clown paintings. The Batman work, which he wasn't doing, was business. One day, he complained to someone that his ghost hadn't completed what he was supposed to.

"But you have other guys who can draw Batman."

"Not my Batman ghost. My clown ghost."

Maybe apocryphal, but, like they say on SCTV, it's cute because it's true. Looking for an authentic Bob Kane is sort of like looking for an authentic Kostabi, as far as I know. There are others who know a lot more than I do.

Hi all:

There is a discussion on an autograph chat board about some Bob Kane sketches.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum/topics/bob-kane-batman-sketch-question-any-opinions?commentId=3524372%3AComment%3A177947&xg_source=msg_com_forum

Can someone take a look and let us know if think these are authentic?

Thanks!

the eBay item is most likely not authentic. It doesn't resemble any of the ones I've seen that came from the hand of Bob Kane

Here's the problem: Bob Kane used ghosts for so many things -- published pages, sketches, fan requests and whatnot -- that it's hard to say.

Famous story: Bob Kane started to relax by drawing clown paintings. The Batman work, which he wasn't doing, was business. One day, he complained to someone that his ghost hadn't completed what he was supposed to.

"But you have other guys who can draw Batman."

"Not my Batman ghost. My clown ghost."

Maybe apocryphal, but, like they say on SCTV, it's cute because it's true. Looking for an authentic Bob Kane is sort of like looking for an authentic Kostabi, as far as I know. There are others who know a lot more than I do.

This one is authentic. This was a direct commission, done at the home of a friend of mine in the 80s. I purchased it many years later.

Sadly, I no longer own it

kane-1.jpg

There's something about those Batman sketches that doesn't look right to me but I'm certainly not an expert.

I doubt this will help any but they came from (don't laugh!) the DC HC book 'The Batman Vault'...

The Robin piece is a repro original sketch from 1942 and the Tec 60 was drawn by Fred Ray and Jerry Robinson (Inked by Robinson)... even though it was 'signed' by Kane.

robin.jpg

tec60-1.jpg

I would't even consider the top sketch the work of Bob's ghost artists. Here's why:

1. Look at the "O" on Bob. You have two diagonal lines on the top--I haven't seen too many double lines on his "O"s. You'll even notice on EVERY other image, this isn't present.

2. The black ink fill is too clean from most sketches I've seen from Bob Kane. Again, even just using the images provided as reference, not a one has the front of Batman's face completely filled in like the top one does.

The second one also has some issues with the jawline--far too narrow when compared to other Kane / Kane-Ghost sketches.

For my money, I'd call it a poor knock off.

Novelty. Completists' sake. Nostalgia. Love of Batman.

I have a sketch that was included in the slip-cased Batman & Me autobiography that Kane published in 1990(?).

Sure, you don't know if he drew it or not, but you know it's official. But then again, I paid less than $100 for the book & sketch, so it's more of a novelty, and I'd actually like it more if it was drawn by someone Kane paid to "ghost" it.