• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BATTLESTAR GALACTICA - Shocking

56 posts in this topic

In my eyes, BSG is the best sci-fi series ever made. It's cogent storytelling, consistency in writing and paced character development is what really makes it. I just got the Blu-ray set so my wife and I could watch it. She, by no means, is a sci-fi fan, and she's hooked.

She is impressed with how the characters develop and is excited to watch from episode to episode. It's also fun for me to watch it all over again from start to finish, without having to wait the agonizing months (or in the case of season 3/4 almost a year) in between seasons.

I've never understood the dislike for the finale - without getting into spoilers here, I have to say that it covered so many loose ends and addressed loads of things found throughout the series. It tied in lots of plot points and did so in such a clever way that it could have seemed as if they had the idea for the finale developed in season one.

But, to each their own. To the complainers, I always say: "Well, it could have ended like X-Files."

Ha! The same thing happened with my girlfriend at the time. She usually watched stuff like "The Bachelor" and "Housewives of XXX." But, much to my surprise, after she saw the show with me she was hooked.

I thought the ending was ok, but I was disappointed that the series ended.

Yeah - it was sad. But a big part of me is glad that they ended it on their terms. I'd rather have the story complete to the best of the writer's intentions than have it drag on.

Yeah - it was sad. But a big part of me is glad that they ended it on their terms. I'd rather have the story complete to the best of the writer's intentions than have it drag on.

Agree. I think the whole thing was a fluke. I hadn't seen anything that good since Kubrik's 2001. Or possibly that Dune series. So rare.

I am a few years behind the times. I remember the original BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and watched it but it wasn't as good as say. ST: TOS in my opinion. Basically watched it because of the lack of even decent Sci Fi in those days.

So I noticed CAPRICA was streaming on Netflix and watched a few episodes (tried when it first aired but could not get past the confusion of the nightclub scene). Watched CAPRICA again for a few episodes and it dawned on me the BATTLESTAR GALACTICA connection.

Checked Netflix and BATTLESTAR was also streaming.

Well I will resume CAPRICA but I have to say BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, which I tended to shun based on my early memories of the 1st series, really shocked me.

This is good stuff. Intelligent. Complex without being gimmicky. First rate television and one of the best series I have seen.

I know that to most here this is old news. But I am delighted. I have the entire series to look forward to!

Sweet!!!

PS - I may even try viewing some of the original BATTLESTAR GALACTICA in,light of this revelation. Seeing the initial impetus for the newer series.

You should watch it all the way through.There are some low points but over all it is a great series.

You should watch it all the way through.There are some low points but over all it is a great series.

Agreed. And, if you're really wanting to be hardcore - you should watch Galactica 1980, as it contains important explanations that have bearing in the re-imagined series.

It's a shame they stopt this awesome show. But I think we can be happy it had an ending. Not like V that was canned without an ending. (not that V was that great, but I would have loved it to continue)

Caprica was the worst thing ever though and I was not surprised that one was gone.

Caprica was the worst thing ever though and I was not surprised that one was gone.

I really liked the first 5 or 6 episodes of Caprica - but then towards the last episodes before cancelation, I was very aware that it just wasn't going anywhere - and I figured if a die-hard like myself is waiting for the axe to fall, the execs were probably way ahead of me.

It's one of those shows I really couldn't get mad that they cancelled, because it wasn't moving along very well. But I did like it.

Now, The Chicago Code cancellation? I was ready to incite a riot after that.

I don't understand all the hate for the BSG finale. The writers, producers, actors and everybody knew that they're not gonna get a movie deal out of it so they "tie-up" all the loose ends, and I'm happy for that.

Also, I'm glad it ended on the 4th season, would have been nicer to have a 5th season BUT your kinda dragging the story out too long. They ended while they were on top of their game. Kudos for them doing that. Beside, I think nobody would want a season 10 of BSG (how long can you out run those cylons)

On a side note: I heard that since they cancelled Caprica, they're gonna do another series which is actually based on the cylon wars

This is good stuff. Intelligent. Complex without being gimmicky. First rate television and one of the best series I have seen.

It was a great show. One of my favorites ever. It kept up the quality for majority of its run. Unfortunately, I thought the series finale was very unsatisfying. It was pretty disappointing way to end such an amazing series.

I agree with this 100%. Just like with Lost, they got near the end and must have turned the writing over to their pre-teen grandchildren or something. No..wait, Pre-teens would have written better then that.

The only thing I don't get so far is how no one seems to be thinking that Baltar is either nuts or a Cylon, the way he is acting. We shall see.

My wife is trying to figure out the same thing right now, too. Man, I envy you experiencing it for the first time. Have fun!

welcome to the party, richter! :baiting:

don't feel bad, i felt the same way and didn't start watching 'til mid second season. :ohnoez: great effin series. lots of political themes in the series that had to do with iraq war and war on terror.

lots of political themes in the series that had to do with iraq war and war on terror.

Yeah - that's one of the really great examples of writing in the show. I had a friend at the time who was a writer for People, and she got to go to the UN to hear some of the cast and Ron Moore talk about those topics back in 2009. I always thought it was cool that the show was singled out for it's writing, even if it wasn't typical of the genre.

Such a great series, so well done in every aspect. The original was amusing in its day, but this recent version stands as one of the greatest sci fi shows in history, IMHO. I loved it so much that I bid on a book that was on the shelf in Adama's office, "History Of The Cylon Wars". Wasn't cheap either!!

Did you get the book? I have to assume it was blank inside? (no biggie if it was - it is a prop, after all).

But would enjoy seeing a pic of it if you got it.

I did!! Still trying to figure out a good way to display it. The interior is actually taken from a book on Greek mythology. They must have wanted it to look legit on screen in case Adama had to open it for reference. I'll get back to you with a pic.

Here's an idea for displaying it, send it to me and I will display it for you! :devil:

:idea: PM me your address and I'll send you something! :baiting: