• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

C2E2 NYC 2011 COMIC CON

119 posts in this topic

Market report thus far:

Feels more like San Diego than the hardcore comic book show that defined NY in past years. Comic book vendors are all relegated to the back of the room while the very things they spawned off took front and center stage (video games, t shirts, any other kind of ancillary sale you can think of). Some dealers reported brisk sales, while others, like us, found it soft, at least on the retail side of the business. Show promoters seemed disinterested in whether lines impacted vendor sales so long as the sacred cow of autographs was paid homage to (and ticket sales were properly dumped in the corporate coffers) no matter who suffered as this happened not once but twice today. There was no selling within 10' of our booth for hours on end while autograph seekers, who had 0 interest in our products, completely walled off any access to our customers who did (I watched as two gave up and walked off). On the other end of the booth,we were fighting a 3 day tsunami as evidently, it never occured to anyone to actually fix the Javits Center roof leak. 48+ hours later and I still have a trashcan in the middle of a table as opposed to product. If I were paying $35 a table pushing $1 books I might be more accepting of this half assed effort.

Well, I got there after it closed tonight, and when I got onto the floor I could see the tarps and funnels set up all over the con ceiling. You couldn't think of a worse product than old paper, newsprint, ephemera to have under a leaky roof, sugarcraft maybe.

I heard Harley had a drenching at some point yesterday...

:eek:

This is precisely why I decided to pass on attending this year. I went to NYCC in 2010 and it was a zoo, the lines to get in were Disney-esque, the focus of the show was not comics, and then most dealers had what I thought were high-ball prices. Not the fun experience I was expecting.

Market report thus far:

Feels more like San Diego than the hardcore comic book show that defined NY in past years. Comic book vendors are all relegated to the back of the room while the very things they spawned off took front and center stage (video games, t shirts, any other kind of ancillary sale you can think of). Some dealers reported brisk sales, while others, like us, found it soft, at least on the retail side of the business. Show promoters seemed disinterested in whether lines impacted vendor sales so long as the sacred cow of autographs was paid homage to (and ticket sales were properly dumped in the corporate coffers) no matter who suffered as this happened not once but twice today. There was no selling within 10' of our booth for hours on end while autograph seekers, who had 0 interest in our products, completely walled off any access to our customers who did (I watched as two gave up and walked off). On the other end of the booth,we were fighting a 3 day tsunami as evidently, it never occured to anyone to actually fix the Javits Center roof leak. 48+ hours later and I still have a trashcan in the middle of a table as opposed to product. If I were paying $35 a table pushing $1 books I might be more accepting of this half assed effort.

that sucks dude why wouldn't the people who wanted to look just walk through the line up ?..

Perennial crowd favorite Dale Roberts with a couple of customers at his booth.

DSCN1341.jpg

That is Barton aka Ghost Town all the way to the right. :gossip:

Market report thus far:

Maybe they are all protesting on Wall Street. (:

DSC07387.jpg

Hey Rick. We are having camera problems that we hope to get resolved and have more pictures tonight (including your face and of course, more importantly, your wall books :). On a good note, management has said they will have the roof problems fixed for the weekend and that the autograph lines will not impede vendor booths.

sorry to hear about the leaks and the line problems. Did anyone walk over to the north pavillion area? Seems like they wasted alot of space over there, they should make the asiles wider to give the dealers some breathing room. If Friday was hard to get around at times, Saturday is going to be terrible. Their was just too many costumed pics being taken in the middle of the asile. I know I don't feel bad if I walk thru when they are taking a pic, I'll wait alittle but I have had enough. Im at the show to see the comics. if you want a pic, follow the person to an area out of the way and waste your time following them and not mine. Just my thoughts. i'll get off my soapbox now.

Lon