• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newly discovered weird comic

12 posts in this topic

This is a very unusual comic. Notice the 6 cent cover price but that's not all. It is not code approved and where it says check out counter comics, it is suppose to say Famous funnies publication. Also this was printed in 1953. The 10 cent version in Overstreet and Gerber was printed in 1955 so this is NOT a reprint like it says in the Comics Database. This was also published by store comics not Famous funnies. This is truly an anomaly.

Dover6c001.jpg

There were several titles published around that time with 6¢ cover prices, I remember first seeing a stack of them at Bob Burden's house 15 or so years ago and thought they were super cool.

I didn't realize that there were also 10¢ cover price versions of the same books though.

1953 and not code approved? Wow, what an anomaly!

I think Bo means unlike the 10¢ version which came later, and was just describing the differences on the cover beyond the price. True, it wasn't quite clear as worded, and I read it twice before coming to that conclusion.

Weird indeed. Out of curiosity, what was the page count?

When I first saw the Famous Funnies version of this, my thought was it felt like a book that was burning off inventory stories; otherwise why release a one-shot as the company is going under? But none of the stories were inventory from Jingle Jangle; which was the obvious candidate. If they created the book for "store comics", which then folded, the material would be there for them to use.

The FF version is scanned and available at the usual places; I wonder if the contents are the same or just the cover.

Hi everyone. Thanx for the interest in this comic. I will try and answer all the questions. It is not a Canadian comic. It was published in Conneticuit and has 36 pages. This book would not be a big deal if it were a reprint which it looks like a reprint but is published 2 years before the version in Overstreet and Gerber.