• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tec 27 Restored Moderate 8.5 (P)

56 posts in this topic

Or do most collectors see the term "piece-fill" and automatically think Frankenbook?

Well I wasn't expecting to get quizzed / called on it ;) so I used the term without really giving it a second thought. The piece fill in general is a big turn off for me and does get me thinking along frankenbook lines because a) its plural... "pieces" not piece, b) I don't know if the pieces are 1/16" or 3.0".

Furthermore the description of the work done on the book is more extensive than I generally have the stomach for.

I guess all I was really trying to say is that I consider all the work done to the book to be fairly extensive (according to my own comfort level with resto, not according to cgc's (s)(m)(e) descriptors), and a turn off.... and I think others would too. Sure it looks good but there's a lot of make up on that gal.

The bigger question is when did the word probably become spelled prolly. I see it all the time now (used in this thread) and I really can't figure it out. :sorry:

As for the book I think 85-90k is a fairly accurate estimate.

Jim

same as sux for "suck", or eff of "", etc. welcome to the 21st century.

Yeah ... 'Frankenberry' is a rather "broad" term. It just adds to the general resto confusion.

Which leads me to ask: how much piecefill should one expect on a moderate book like this? Paper replaced according to the size of a stamp? Or more? 2 stamps?

With the Action 1 cgc 8.5 moderate just moons ago going for approx 150K (and that was termed "cheap" her on the boards), - I could indeed see this particular Tec 27 "easily" cracking 100K. But it depends how many people are going for it.

With the Action 1 cgc 8.5 moderate just moons ago going for approx 150K (and that was termed "cheap" her on the boards), - I could indeed see this particular Tec 27 "easily" cracking 100K. But it depends how many people are going for it.

I found the 150k to be incredibly strong.... Anyone that said "cheap" is just about clueless IMO

I found the 150k to be incredibly strong.... Anyone that said "cheap" is just about clueless IMO

As I remember it the Action 1 price was considered a reasonable "bargain" as being a ballpark 3.5 book before it was messed with.

With juice?

comic connect doesn't rape their bidders with BP or juice. from the resto label notes, the book prolly was a 3.5 before restoration. hm

It is impossible to tell from the restoration notes and the scan what the pre-restoration grade was. The spine split could be 1 mm or it could be a book-length split. You can't see the back cover. You can either see or surmise some of the areas where color touch was applied to the front cover and where the spine corners were squared off, but apart from that, it is impossible to tell what is original and what is restoration.

With the book out of the holder one might make an educated guess, but when it is in the holder it is a shot in the dark.

As I remember it the Action 1 price was considered a reasonable "bargain" as being a ballpark 3.5 book before it was messed with.

hm i remember it not making reserve the first time round. or maybe that was a different AC1...

While that might be a reasonably logical train of thought it is unfortunately not how the majority of comic collectors view resto these days. 20 years ago that kind of was the formula...take previous grade + current grade /2 = approx grade value. These days the market has shifted away from that assertion. Only last year did a restored copy break 100k. The 8.5 mod was a 110-120 k max book in most folks opinion. 150k was a way strong price

Another worthwhile data point is the Tec 27 8.5 extensive p going for $67k at Heritage last year.
true...in fairness to that copy, it did sell for $80K a couple of years ago in a private sale, but at public auction, it did struggle (2x) to close in the 60-66K range...

a mod 8.5 should be a 75-85K book, but only time will tell!

While that might be a reasonably logical train of thought it is unfortunately not how the majority of comic collectors view resto these days. 20 years ago that kind of was the formula...take previous grade + current grade /2 = approx grade value. These days the market has shifted away from that assertion. Only last year did a restored copy break 100k. The 8.5 mod was a 110-120 k max book in most folks opinion. 150k was a way strong price

The market has shifted away from that formula due to CGC's purple label, the devoted efforts to stigmatize same, and the fact that the info on the label tends to obscure rather than clarify what was done to the book. So, instead of knowing there was a market for such books, and knowing that, for example, a book was a 3.5 prior to resto, people have been left effectively guessing what the book would;ve graded prior, and worrying how intense the ongoing efforts will be to stigmatize the books. The increase in prices now comes from a growing awareness that those factors have had an effect that is somewhat disproportionate. All of which I remember being predicted in the very early days of CGC by some key dealers and at least one guy from CGC itself. Though, as I recall, they predicted a five-year cycle.

Another worthwhile data point is the Tec 27 8.5 extensive p going for $67k at Heritage last year.

With an Ext. 8.5 going for 67K a year or more ago - shouldnt a Mod 8.5 fetch at least 100K? Rob Larsens 100K club is getting crowdy. Well I hope it goes for less so that hopefully a boardie (Dark Knight) can add it into the vault. I cannot be bidding on this. Thats for sure lol

With an Ext. 8.5 going for 67K a year or more ago - shouldnt a Mod 8.5 fetch at least 100K? Rob Larsens 100K club is getting crowdy. Well I hope it goes for less so that hopefully a boardie (Dark Knight) can add it into the vault. I cannot be bidding on this. Thats for sure lol

The general consensus (and there are always exceptions) is that the level of restoration from s to m to p is 10-20% value diff

So if a mod is 70 one can expect a 75-85 range. Now, by no means set in stone but that is a broad stroke canvas application

The market has shifted away from that formula due to CGC's purple label, the devoted efforts to stigmatize same,

beatdeadhorse8gx.gif

The market has shifted away from that formula due to CGC's purple label, the devoted efforts to stigmatize same,

beatdeadhorse8gx.gif

It's a funny icon.

But the whole point of his post was to lay out the old view versus the current view.

So, what's wrong with saying how the old view contrasts with the current view, and why, and to say that views evolve, so the current view may also be old one day. (And not necessarily to the benefit of the purple label books; views could just as easily evolve demanding that more books be put in stigma labels, as is argued here often)

Basically, arguments and views about ongoing situations aren't horses, because once a horse is dead it ceases to be an issue. But each new book that is sold or offered for sale is a new thing, and it is affected by the way people look at things that day. (yesterday's "okay" book is "bad" today and today's "okay" (pressed?) book may go the same way in times to come.

While viewpoints aren't horses, I understand people wanting to treat them that way. But, usually, they imply your view is a "dead horse" only after they've just trotted out their own view, and they just don't like you responding to it.

Viewpoints that don't necessarily ring true with everybody are brought out over and over again. See your daily reports of political debates for views that support agendas which are repeated ad infinitum no matter how many times they are argued or clarified or even shot down (and each time you'll hear a cry that it's the response, and not the yet-again-repeated statement, which is a dead horse or the "same-old so-and-so")

But, aside from all that, I thought I was largely AGREEING with Rick, as he trotted out that particular horse once more.

Rick didn't trot out the "purple label stigma" horse, nor has he ever to my recollection.

I have no problem with the purple label, I collect books that are restored, I also collect unrestored books. The purple label is not a deterrent to me.

I have no issue with it at all. I've said many times before, the only issue with CGC's policy on restored books to me is the overly broad brush they paint the tiers with. That's it. The color is of no moment, and acutally helps those of us who seek out restored comics when they are on dealer's display racks at shows. Maybe you have super-vision, but as the years have gone by, I take all the help I can get

Rick didn't trot out the "purple label stigma" horse, nor has he ever to my recollection.

I have no problem with the purple label, I collect books that are restored, I also collect unrestored books. The purple label is not a deterrent to me.

I have no issue with it at all. I've said many times before, the only issue with CGC's policy on restored books to me is the overly broad brush they paint the tiers with. That's it. The color is of no moment, and acutally helps those of us who seek out restored comics when they are on dealer's display racks at shows. Maybe you have super-vision, but as the years have gone by, I take all the help I can get

Rick was talking about the changes in perception and valuation, which I just pointed out were closely tied to the stigmatizing. I can certainly understand people seeking them out, as they've been devalued to the point that they can be had for less than books which are not, actually, in as good a shape, and even if the "work" were counted as simply additional defects on top of the ones supposedly coverd up. It can seem a way to get bargains, but it's also a reminder that things can be artificially and remarkably skewed, so you need to take into account not only what may be done by others to skew it in one direction or another