• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tec 27 Restored Moderate 8.5 (P)

56 posts in this topic

I saw this smoker at C-cnect.

These monsterbooks sure are comming out of the woodworks as we speak!

Any ballpark guesstimates as to the pre-work grade of this book?

Just curious.

And please save 'the blah-blah' posts - informed views are preferred ...

Edit: OK advise taken: I'l take the Blah-blah posts as well - all are welcome (thumbs u

Well two blue 4.0's have just been sitting and sitting with a 300K pricetag (approx) for some time now. The C-Link one got pulled recently. One left at C-cnct.

150K? Geesh I dont know.

If I had the money Id buy that damn thing. Thats for sure. Stunning copy ...

Me dont know either, but it is one of the worlds highest technical grades for the 'big tec'. Not that many 8.5s floating around out there.

What FMV does GPA indicate ... (just thinking high - not requesting (thumbs u)

Me dont know either, but it is one of the worlds highest technical grades for the 'big tec'. Not that many 8.5s floating around out there.

this is not a CGC 8.5 tho, it's a CGC 8.5 moderate restored. HUGE diff'.

Well two blue 4.0's have just been sitting and sitting with a 300K pricetag (approx) for some time now. The C-Link one got pulled recently. One left at C-cnct.

150K? Geesh I dont know.

If I had the money Id buy that damn thing. Thats for sure. Stunning copy ...

$75k seems right. $150k is silly.

I don't know.. its kind of a frankenbook with the pieces added and all that. I'd say 100k range

I know you said "kind of" so I don't mean to single out your comment. I am just honestly curious about the frankenbook term itself, and makes me wonder if we all consider it equally.

I have always considered the term to be reserved for books that were piecemealed together from several copies, and or uber extensive work necessary to bring a book back to some semblance of normalcy.

This Tec 27 was pegged as Moderate P.

So the piece fill, and CT was not extensive, which means the book was in pretty decent shape to start with and is closer to original then not.

And no, I have no idea who owns the book, nor who did the work. I have just heard the term used enough to wonder if it means the same thing to me as it does most everyone else.

Because it's obviously a derogatory term, sometimes deserving. Other times not so much.

Or do most collectors see the term "piece-fill" and automatically think Frankenbook?

this is not a CGC 8.5 tho, it's a CGC 8.5 moderate restored. HUGE diff'.

This book definitely looks really sharp for a 8.5 technical grade!

If this was an unrestored book, it looks like it would be sitting in a 9.0 slab at the minimum or possibly even a 9.2 slab. Like all other restored books, CGC applies the CGC hammer and knocks the book down a grade or two before applying the PLOD to it. Sort of like a double whammy!!

The opposite treatment given to a major name pedigree whereby CGC is often prone to applying the CGC bump and raises the grade a notch or so. This is why there are so many gorgeous looking restored books any yet at the same time, so many fugly looking pdigree books, relative to their stated grades. hm