• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 1 or 4, which is more significant?

83 posts in this topic

While I prefer the cover to Avengers 4 over that of Avengers 1, Avengers 1 is more significant since it's the 1st App. of a major SA team whereas Avengers 4 is a 1st SA App. of a major Marvel character. I'm glad I have both.

I have both too, and I cast my vote for Avengers #1. I've always been a sucker for a gathering of heroes, and #1 does that in spades. Plus, it's the first re-appearance of the Hulk, after his title was canceled.

I have both and I vote for Avengers 4.

Has anyone noticed that of the Marvel Golden Record Reprints (listed below), Marvel selected Avengers 4 and not Av 1?

Spider-Man 1

Fantastic Four 1

JIM 83

Avengers 4

I have always wondered the same as well. Not that i am complaining ...but why chose Av#4 as a GRR ?? Was it one of the top four most significant early SA marvel books at the time??

#4 is more significant than #1. Cap was, by far, the most important creation of Timely, and his return back into the new Marvel universe is only slightly less important than the major first apps. #1 features no first appearances, and is important solely because it's "#1."

#4 is more significant than #1. Cap was, by far, the most important creation of Timely, and his return back into the new Marvel universe is only slightly less important than the major first apps. #1 features no first appearances, and is important solely because it's "#1."

Neither #1 nor #4 are first appearances of any character, but #1 is at least the first appearance and origin of the Avengers team.

Being the first appearance of the Avengers team does matter, or so the market has decided. Their census numbers are similar and #1 isn't so much more valuable just because it's a first issue. No doubt had the Avengers team been introduced in a different comic, #1 would be worth considerably less than 4.

Neither #1 nor #4 are first appearances of any character, but #1 is at least the first appearance and origin of the Avengers team.

Being the first appearance of the Avengers team does matter, or so the market has decided. Their census numbers are similar and #1 isn't so much more valuable just because it's a first issue. No doubt had the Avengers team been introduced in a different comic, #1 would be worth considerably less than 4.

It's only worth more because it has a "1" on the cover.

Had it been issue #93 of Long Running Marvel Title, and Cap's first SA app was #96, #96 would be worth more.

Being a number 1 has meaning over and above "Just a number"

This is the first marvel team made of the random various characters, ie Marvels answer to JLA (much moreso than FF IMO). This is a preclude to Defenders, Champions, even the Invaders and the New X-men (I consider Xmen 1 a copycat of FF 1)

I might be willing to go with #4 if there were no Strange Tales 114, that kills the purity of the first SA appearance for me.

Plus I'd rather have a JLA 28 than a Showcase 22 for the same reasons.

Ed