• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Classics Incorporated and manipulation...

109 posts in this topic

I asked Kenny to show the 2nd photo because I think it highlights one of the most important features of the work that was done; namely the change in how sound & solid the book is. One of the points that sold me on the book was how supple & flexible everything was despite the paper being Cr/OW. Timelys aren't known for their supple paper. So when he sent me the photos and you can see how tenuous the spine is there, compared to now where the book is full of life, I was a little shocked.

This is why I think they're the best - their structural work is groundbreaking. The feel this gives the book in hand (which is where the work of so many other restoration professionals becomes obvious) is fantastic. There is no comparison between their techniques and the manual piece fill methods that have been used for so long for extensive structural work.

To me, this is more of an achievement than their inpainting and color matching, which are also as good as or better than anyone else's. They can add flexibility and strength to old paper like no one else, and this will preserve the life of the comic for decades to come in addition to the aesthetic benefit achieved. And given the dramatic aesthetic improvements I've seen on what used to be some sorry looking books (brittle, tape damaged or just plain torn apart), that is saying something.

This Cap 1 is gorgeous in its own right, but when compared to the pre- photos, it is breathtaking.

Wonderful work!

Can't wait to get my Fantastic 3 back, though I figure I have a long wait ahead of me.

Might be a Fantastic 4 by the time you get it back.....

We're going to start calling you Henny if you keep making jokes like that!

Wonderful work!

Can't wait to get my Fantastic 3 back, though I figure I have a long wait ahead of me.

Careful there Mister Man, Andy offered me a candy bar and 12 cents to bump him up ahead of you.

:slapfight:

Congratulations on the acquisition and nice job on the restoration. I'm still confused on the purchase price, but the buyer is happy.
:gossip: I heard $750

Is that with or without NY tax? (shrug)

Tax :o

lol

(tsk) Mr. GAtor, are you being cheeky about buttock's book?

I forget... Did Buttock show off the backside?

my guess is that buttock lives for backsides lol

Three well played strokes on buttock's backside :golfclap:

Wonderful work!

Careful there Mister Man, Andy offered me a candy bar and 12 cents to bump him up ahead of you.

:slapfight:

I would never do that. I saw what he was capable of when I sold him a measly run of Luke Cage, I can't imagine the horrors he would inflict on you for being late on a resto job! :o

Wish you would have stopped by to show me. I'd have loved to have seen it in hand!

He was afraid you would scrape off the entire cover, and call it a bindery chip.

^^

....since Roy is my bud, I'm going to refrain from commenting on how ridiculously funny that was :roflmao: GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I know I'm preaching to the choir here....but the first restored book I ever bought (knowingly lol ) was a Matt book....a Batman 11. I was also impressed by how solid yet supple it was, and this was 10 years ago. I can only imagine how much better he (and Kenny) are now. Sooner or later, restored books will make a comeback. They're not bad.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here....but Matt ... I was impressed by how solid yet supple it [Matt] was...not bad.

hm