• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Classics Incorporated and manipulation...

109 posts in this topic

I know I'm preaching to the choir here....but Matt ... I was impressed by how solid yet supple it [Matt] was...not bad.

hm

......was I drunk again (shrug) GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Wonderful work!

Can't wait to get my Fantastic 3 back, though I figure I have a long wait ahead of me.

Might be a Fantastic 4 by the time you get it back.....

Careful there Mister Man, Andy offered me a candy bar and 12 cents to bump him up ahead of you.

:slapfight:

I would never do that. I saw what he was capable of when I sold him a measly run of Luke Cage, I can't imagine the horrors he would inflict on you for being late on a resto job! :o

Tell me about it, I think he actually made Matt cry.

:cry:

Don't mess with Bill and his funny books.

Big Bad Bill.

:sumo:

I know I'm preaching to the choir here....but Matt ... I was impressed by how solid yet supple it [Matt] was...not bad.

hm

lol

I think Mr. Bedrock just cut through the metaphor to the heart of what you were trying to get at. Matt is both solid and supple... not bad. (thumbs u :D

hm

lol

I think Mr. Bedrock just cut through the metaphor to the heart of what you were trying to get at. Matt is both solid and supple... not bad. (thumbs u :D

Mr. B is a master of the subtle riposte (or the peeping innuendo as I like to call it)! :grin:

After a few brews I probably would've cut the first and last sentence off jimjum's postscript leaving his quote hanging in the breeze: "I was also impressed by how solid yet supple it was, and this was 10 years ago. I can only imagine how much better he (and Kenny) are now." :sorry:

However, since I haven't had a few brews (yet), now I'm embarrassed because I completely emasculated MrBedrock's dangling participle. :blush:

Wonderful work!

Can't wait to get my Fantastic 3 back, though I figure I have a long wait ahead of me.

Careful there Mister Man, Andy offered me a candy bar and 12 cents to bump him up ahead of you.

I would never do that. I saw what he was capable of when I sold him a measly run of Luke Cage, I can't imagine the horrors he would inflict on you for being late on a resto job! :o

Big Bad Bill.

Words to live by. A credo in many ways for those who enjoy breathing.

Wonderful work!

Big Bad Bill.

:eek:

Wonderful work!

Big Bad Bill.

(worship)

Wonderful work!

Big Bad Bill.

:eek:

:fear:

I've been asked to post the back cover, so I scanned it this morning. Again, I'm afraid the downsizing of the original scan makes it a little lumpy looking. But you should still be able to see the gist of things.

116681.jpg.625f2e47630bf65352640c2cc786c9cd.jpg

Congrats Dan on being manipulated into buying such a wonderful book.It sure looks fantastic in the scans.I know some people like throw around the term frankenbook,especially when describing extensive work,but I wonder how many would change their minds as to the palatability of current restoration techniques if the could see it in person.

Congrats Dan on being manipulated into buying such a wonderful book.It sure looks fantastic in the scans.I know some people like throw around the term frankenbook,especially when describing extensive work,but I wonder how many would change their minds as to the palatability of current restoration techniques if the could see it in person.
damn, dem is sum might big werds uza throdin aroun der sir

+1 (thumbs u

I didn't have the fortune to view Matt's Cap #1 reconstruction at NYCC; it might've impacted my other purchases if I'd seen it before Dan. I rarely buy extensively restored books, but Matt's work is in another Galaxy when it comes to SOTA archival repairs. IMO, Mr. Nelson is simply the best at what he does; a real artist.

I'm a little disappointed that I didn't see that beauty, but I was all over the place at NYCC and rarely lighted in one spot long enough to focus attention on anything that I wasn't specifically targeting for my collection that weekend.

I don't know what Dan paid for that book, but it's a real treasure; he can take great pride in it; I know I would.

+1 (thumbs u

I didn't have the fortune to view Matt's Cap #1 reconstruction at NYCC; it might've impacted my other purchases if I'd seen it before Dan. I rarely buy extensively restored books, but Matt's work is in another Galaxy when it comes to SOTA archival repairs. IMO, Mr. Nelson is simply the best at what he does; a real artist.

I'm a little disappointed that I didn't see that beauty, but I was all over the place at NYCC and rarely lighted in one spot long enough to focus attention on anything that I wasn't specifically targeting for my collection that weekend.

I don't know what Dan paid for that book, but it's a real treasure; he can take great pride in it; I know I would.

I think I bought it about 5 minutes after I ran into you at Verzyl's. :sorry:

+1 (thumbs u

Actually David, the work on the Cap 1 is mine. Matt and I have worked together relentlessly these past couple years perfecting the techniques this book benefited from. Leaf Casting and our new CT process specifically.

As we planned from day 1, I was to take over the bulk of the structural work on my end once I mastered everything.. We then both realized I could handle more, so Matt taught me all the aspects of CT as he knew it. And together we created this new process over the past 2 years.

I will say though, as far as I have come, Matt is still a wizard with certain aspects of recreation of lost cover art and color matching. And finalizes every book that goes through Classics, if not much more.

Anyhow, a lot of people already know this, but a lot of people probably do not.

Well, now they do. :blush:

Matt took a leap of faith by training me years ago, and now are a force to be reckoned with.

:)

+1 (thumbs u

Actually David, the work on the Cap 1 is mine. Matt and I have worked together relentlessly these past couple years perfecting the techniques this book benefited from. Leaf Casting and our new CT process specifically.

As we planned from day 1, I was to take over the bulk of the structural work on my end once I mastered everything.. We then both realized I could handle more, so Matt taught me all the aspects of CT as he knew it. And together we created this new process over the past 2 years.

I will say though, as far as I have come, Matt is still a wizard with certain aspects of recreation of lost cover art and color matching.

Anyhow, a lot of people already know this, but a lot of people probably do not.

Well, now they do. :blush:

Matt took a leap of faith by training me years ago, and now are a force to be reckoned with.

:)

Great job Ze-Man. :applause:

You should post this in the resto room as well for the people that don't venture into Gold. Your work is amazing and from what I am reading in this thread, even better in hand. (thumbs u

And for those that care to see, Dan said he did not mind people seeing what the Cap book looked like before so they can see what was done to the book, rather then guess at it.

Some shots that show how rough the interior outer wraps, and spine were. And why this was the perfect book to re-restore.

081f3e76.jpg

9fa450b4.jpg

fdd89616.jpg

7ad3b00d.jpg

4e213faf.jpg

=================================================

BC before

b16943f7.jpg

After being leaf casted

63039cf8.jpg

And after the BC was CT'ed

08f29250.jpg

==================================================

And to give you an idea of what exactly was filled and CT'ed, here is cover before and after being leafcasted.

02f8602a.jpg

3f29cc45.jpg

And cover scans

9dbcfab0.jpg

cb089a13.jpg

lovely :applause:

any shots of the new interior? assuming you have permission to share (thumbs u

Truth be told. The interior left me wanting. :(

Structurally it's sound as can be. But trying to match tanned, brittle newsprint when leaf casting is a challenge I have yet to 100% conquer. Interiors can be C/OW in the middle of a wrap, and Brown/Tan/Brittle on the edges. And CT'ing an interior afterward(aside from missing artwork) is something I cannot stand.

Newsprint is a different beast then cover stock. And if anything but newsprint is used for casting/ piece fill you can quickly tell by texture and hand feel.

Dan will have to chime in on the interior, how it feels and what it is made up of.

Suffice to say, work we were doing a year ago is not as good as today..and work we will be doing a year from now will be better then today.

If that makes sense. :insane: