• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Selling Rule #1

1,007 posts in this topic

I just don't see how anyone can say this is 'sloppy'.

Looks almost effortless. The guy is a master of the guitar.

He's sloppy in the sense that he plays by feel and by note, technically speaking.

Roy is right. Page is sloppy. But he was a master of creating mood with his guitar. Out of these guys, I think he was the best at crafting an entire song, rather than just putting together killer riffs or solos.

Page was a true master and not what I would call sloppy from 1969 to about 1975. Then heroin, as was the case with so many guitarists at that time, got the better of him.

Page was sloppy when we was a Yardbird.

Don't get me wrong, Page is great. I love Zep. Sloppy isn't necessarily bad, it's just not structured and clinical like...say...a Brandenburg concerto might be.

Erratic, I'd say, rather than sloppy. That 1970 Albert Hall gig on the DVD showed he could be as fluid as he was inspired.

I just don't see how anyone can say this is 'sloppy'.

Looks almost effortless. The guy is a master of the guitar.

He's sloppy in the sense that he plays by feel and by note, technically speaking.

Roy is right. Page is sloppy. But he was a master of creating mood with his guitar. Out of these guys, I think he was the best at crafting an entire song, rather than just putting together killer riffs or solos.

Page was a true master and not what I would call sloppy from 1969 to about 1975. Then heroin, as was the case with so many guitarists at that time, got the better of him.

Page was sloppy when we was a Yardbird.

Don't get me wrong, Page is great. I love Zep. Sloppy isn't necessarily bad, it's just not structured and clinical like...say...a Brandenburg concerto might be.

Erratic, I'd say, rather than sloppy. That 1970 Albert Hall gig on the DVD showed he could be as fluid as he was inspired.

Always fluid. Just not precise.

It's fundamentally in the nature of blues to be imprecise because it's that "push and pull" in the timing (the dragging and speeding up of the tempo within a bar of music) that creates the feeling found within blues (and jazz). At least to my ears, anyway.

Blues was an accident made by un-educated musicians.......however I do love it.

But that is why EVH and jimmy page are never ranked in top 25 guitarist list from Guitar or Rolling Stone magazine.

They had great sounds, made great tunes, had a huge fan base......they just weren't great guitarists.

But that is why EVH and jimmy page are never ranked in top 25 guitarist list from Guitar or Rolling Stone magazine.

They had great sounds, made great tunes, had a huge fan base......they just weren't great guitarists.

Page not a great guitarist? You'll be telling me Hendrix was average too, next.

And Page didn't make the Blues, he reinterpreted it.

Oh, page was definitely great...as a guitarist and a song writer he's placed in history as a legend IMO.

There is no question about that.

Nobody ever mentions Ritchie Blackmore, even though he was as gifted as just about anyone from the '70s, had great feel, and virtually invented speed metal. And never lost his ability to play.

Blackmore is another guy who brought terrific classical technique to hard rock. I love listening to him climb scales through his solos.

Brilliant player. Too bad he never got along with Gillan.

Hendrix redefined the guitar, I said earlier that the best were Duane Allman, Hendrix and Rhoads. Most poles by musicians will give Hendrix and Allman 1st and 2nd place, yet Rhoads will fall anywhere from 17-25th place. Where Page and EVH are usually around 50-80th place in the history of rock.

So it is not just my opinion. However, I think Rhoads should be placed 3rd then Garcia with 4th, maybe Robert Johnson as 5th

Oh dear. :eyeroll:

Oh dear. :eyeroll:

How long did that take you?