• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Selling Rule #1

1,007 posts in this topic

Strangely I have been obsessed lately wtih the 1983 Elton John cd 2 Low For Zero.

I love every song on it even though I mostly hate all his other 80's stuff.

Crystal and Kiss The Bride are phenomenal.

Punk ruled in the 80s:

Punk was dead by 1979

Maybe in England, but not in SoCal.

Punk originated in England. doh!

Tell that to the MC5, Iggy and the Stooges, and the Ramones.

Kiss the Bride didn't do anything for me. :sorry:

80' song. Check

Great Guitarist. Check

Has zip to do with Doug Schmell being a POS. Check.

80' song. Check

Great Guitarist. Check

Killer!

It's all personal tastes. SRV killed it.

I sometimes like to spout on about lyrics but then again...McCartney....owner of some of the worst lyrics ever. And some of the best.

Music is odd...it speaks to you or it doesn't. Best guitarist ever for me? Brian May or Dunae Allman. But then again, I play guitar weakly so who am I to judge.

That's the beauty of art. I look at a Van Gogh and am mesmorized. Others see nothing

And to continue....if you're a musician it all boils down to songwriting, doesn't it.

Example: Air Supply.. Terrible group of 2 wimpy singers. But.....hand them a song like Making Love Out of Nothing at All...(written by Jim Steinman of Bat out of Hell fame) and....sorry....but you have a great song there. Hell, Roy and I could have had a top 10 with a song like that.

You want to judge a man's talent? Lock him in a room with a guitar and give him 3 hours. You might get 'Yesterday'.Or you might get 'I Can't Drive 55'.

Then judge your talent.

80' song. Check

Great Guitarist. Check

Killer!

It's all personal tastes. SRV killed it.

I sometimes like to spout on about lyrics but then again...McCartney....owner of some of the worst lyrics ever. And some of the best.

Music is odd...it speaks to you or it doesn't. Best guitarist ever for me? Brian May or Dunae Allman. But then again, I play guitar weakly so who am I to judge.

That's the beauty of art. I look at a Van Gogh and am mesmorized. Others see nothing

Absolutely.

:headbang:

On a side note, I wrote this about a year ago, too bad the links are no longer valid, but ehh, I'll update them eventually..

http://www.youfoundjake.com/2010/02/21/my-10-favorite-solos/

I grew up in the 80's but my brother was 8 years older than me so I was exposed to classics like this.

Personally, one of my favorite guitar players of all time is probably David Gilmour of Pink Floyd, who's sound and versatility I enjoy tremendously.

A great, great player and musician.

I still wouldn't rank him as #2 behind Hendrix as one of greatest guitar players of all time.

But personally I love his work.

Songwriting?

I'd still take Lennon over almost anyone to sit in a room for 3 hours and see what he could come up with. That's no knock on Paul, as in a perfect world they could sit in there together and create something better than almost anyone.

No offense to Duane Allman, but anyone that puts him ahead of Jimmy Page and Eddie Van Halen in best guitar player poll doesn't know what they are talking about.

That Rolling Stone list (not a poll) from 2003 is a silly list with Kurt Cobain #12 (just below Kirk Hammett), and George Harrison at #21 (beating out Steve Howe #69).

John Fogerty (#40) is ranked higher than Frank Zappa (#45) and Ritchie Blakmore (#55).

Puh-leeze!

That list is a joke.

A year later Guitar World Magazine, who are much more qualified to rank guitarists, put out their list of the top 100 guitar players.

Randy, Eddie, and Jimmy ranked 4th, 5th, and 6th.

Duane Allman didn't make it.

It's all subjective, but the guitar player polls and lists' I've read over the year's have always ranked those three very high and Duane Allman... not so much.

It's clear you don't like Eddie, that's fine, it's your opinion, but to make it sound as if he's not respected or considered one of the top guitarists EVER is just silly.

I think you are missing my point, I do not relate my thoughts through text very well.

I like EVH, I really like Jimmy Page. I was raised on Zepplin. However, if you take the guitar as an instrument, hand it to a guitarist with sheet music written by some of the most technical and advanced composers, most will come up short on playing it well. Rhoads and Duanne Allman would be able to sight read and play the music as it was written.

Hendrix could not do these things either, but he changed the way we hear a guitar, same as Robert Johnson did.

It is like comparing quarterbacks, anyone in the NFL is great, they put in alot of time and effort to get there. Many people have seen greatness in them or else they would not be there.

However, (waiting for the bashing) Peyton Manning is the greatest quarterback, because he emulates what a quarterback is. Sure Brady has thrown more touchdowns in a single game, Rothlesiberger has more superbowl rings, Marino has more career yards. But as a person who plays quarterback he does everything as a whole better than the rest.

BTW Chris Broderick is probably the best guitarist alive today.

Punk ruled in the 80s:

Punk was dead by 1979

IIRC, all these released some good stuff in the 80's:

The Meatmen

Dead Milkmen

Dead Kennedys

Circle Jerks

You're confusing American Hardcore with punk.

Apart from the DK's.