• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Selling Rule #1

1,007 posts in this topic

Punk ruled in the 80s:

Punk was dead by 1979

Maybe in England, but not in SoCal.

Punk originated in England. doh!

Tell that to the MC5, Iggy and the Stooges, and the Ramones.

Indeed.

American Punk and British punk are two different beasts.

Indeed.

namisgr forgot the New York Dolls.

Would you guys consider The Kinks the British equivalent of American proto-punk?

I know how unpunk it is to discuss punk in a professorial way but I'm 41, soon to be 42, & DGAF.

That last part makes it okay -- makes it punk.

:banana:

I've got some buddies

And we all drink bleach.

You know we practice

What we preach.

You understand that I'm posting here again fulltime because of you, don't you?

Judas Priest was HOT,HOT,HOT in the eighties. :headbang:

I freakin' love Judas Priest, them and Iron Maiden are my 2 all time favorite bands. The latest Priest album Nostradamus was horrible though in my opinion. They are in the studio now recording there next album and apparently it is supposed to be straight forward metal according to Blabbermouth.com. I can't wait to see them on tour again. No KK anymore though.... :sorry:

They are on tour right now. In fact I am seeing them Sunday night, with Thin Lizzy and Black Label Society. I also just saw Saxon a couple weeks ago, another gret band for heavy and melodic.

I will have to check out there tour dates then and see if they are coming around Maine/Mass. I guess they are not in the studio then. :headbang:

Only date I see for Maine/Mass area is:

20 November Paul E Tsongas Arena/Lowell, MA

Thanks! :headbang:

I freakin' love Judas Priest, them and Iron Maiden are my 2 all time favorite bands. The latest Priest album Nostradamus was horrible though in my opinion. They are in the studio now recording there next album and apparently it is supposed to be straight forward metal according to Blabbermouth.com. I can't wait to see them on tour again. No KK anymore though.... :sorry:

They are on tour right now. In fact I am seeing them Sunday night, with Thin Lizzy and Black Label Society. I also just saw Saxon a couple weeks ago, another gret band for heavy and melodic.

I will have to check out there tour dates then and see if they are coming around Maine/Mass. I guess they are not in the studio then. :headbang:

Black Label Society shreds,Zakk Wylde is awesome.I love all his work with Ozzy.

No offense to Duane Allman, but anyone that puts him ahead of Jimmy Page and Eddie Van Halen in best guitar player poll doesn't know what they are talking about.

That Rolling Stone list (not a poll) from 2003 is a silly list with Kurt Cobain #12 (just below Kirk Hammett), and George Harrison at #21 (beating out Steve Howe #69).

John Fogerty (#40) is ranked higher than Frank Zappa (#45) and Ritchie Blakmore (#55).

Puh-leeze!

That list is a joke.

A year later Guitar World Magazine, who are much more qualified to rank guitarists, put out their list of the top 100 guitar players.

Randy, Eddie, and Jimmy ranked 4th, 5th, and 6th.

Duane Allman didn't make it.

It's all subjective, but the guitar player polls and lists' I've read over the year's have always ranked those three very high and Duane Allman... not so much.

It's clear you don't like Eddie, that's fine, it's your opinion, but to make it sound as if he's not respected or considered one of the top guitarists EVER is just silly.

I think you are missing my point, I do not relate my thoughts through text very well.

I like EVH, I really like Jimmy Page. I was raised on Zepplin. However, if you take the guitar as an instrument, hand it to a guitarist with sheet music written by some of the most technical and advanced composers, most will come up short on playing it well. Rhoads and Duanne Allman would be able to sight read and play the music as it was written.

Hendrix could not do these things either, but he changed the way we hear a guitar, same as Robert Johnson did.

It is like comparing quarterbacks, anyone in the NFL is great, they put in alot of time and effort to get there. Many people have seen greatness in them or else they would not be there.

However, (waiting for the bashing) Peyton Manning is the greatest quarterback, because he emulates what a quarterback is. Sure Brady has thrown more touchdowns in a single game, Rothlesiberger has more superbowl rings, Marino has more career yards. But as a person who plays quarterback he does everything as a whole better than the rest.

BTW Chris Broderick is probably the best guitarist alive today.

Well if that is your criteria then this guy will fit the bill 100%

Punk ruled in the 80s:

Punk was dead by 1979

Maybe in England, but not in SoCal.

Punk originated in England. doh!

Indeed.

Didn`t British punk evolve from the British Mod movement from the early 1960s?

Personally, one of my favorite guitar players of all time is probably David Gilmour of Pink Floyd, who's sound and versatility I enjoy tremendously.

A great, great player and musician.

I still wouldn't rank him as #2 behind Hendrix as one of greatest guitar players of all time.

But personally I love his work.

Songwriting?

I'd still take Lennon over almost anyone to sit in a room for 3 hours and see what he could come up with. That's no knock on Paul, as in a perfect world they could sit in there together and create something better than almost anyone.

One of my favorite John Lennon stories that so captures what a gifted and natural songwriter he was: film producers wanted to rush the filming of The Beatles first movie to capitalize on the Beatle hysteria in 1964. It dawned on everyone near the end of filming that they didn't have a title track for the movie. The Beatles were told at the end of filming one day that they needed to come up with a title track... and quickly. Lennon turned in for the night to his hotel room and showed up the next morning with a title track that he'd written overnight... a little diddy called A Hard Day's Night.

Needed just a few hours alone to come up with a another smash #1 hit...

Personally, one of my favorite guitar players of all time is probably David Gilmour of Pink Floyd, who's sound and versatility I enjoy tremendously.

A great, great player and musician.

I still wouldn't rank him as #2 behind Hendrix as one of greatest guitar players of all time.

But personally I love his work.

Songwriting?

I'd still take Lennon over almost anyone to sit in a room for 3 hours and see what he could come up with. That's no knock on Paul, as in a perfect world they could sit in there together and create something better than almost anyone.

One of my favorite John Lennon stories that so captures what a gifted and natural songwriter he was: film producers wanted to rush the filming of The Beatles first movie to capitalize on the Beatle hysteria in 1964. It dawned on everyone near the end of filming that they didn't have a title track for the movie. The Beatles were told at the end of filming one day that they needed to come up with a title track... and quickly. Lennon turned in for the night to his hotel room and showed up the next morning with a title track that he'd written overnight... a little diddy called A Hard Day's Night.

Needed just a few hours alone to come up with a another smash #1 hit...

(worship) John Lennon is a God!

Punk ruled in the 80s:

Punk was dead by 1979

IIRC, all these released some good stuff in the 80's:

The Meatmen

Dead Milkmen

Dead Kennedys

Circle Jerks

You're confusing American Hardcore with punk.

Apart from the DK's.

The Adicts

The Exploited

2 of my all-time favorite bands.

And the Oi keeps going viz The Business!

Punk ruled in the 80s:

Punk was dead by 1979

IIRC, all these released some good stuff in the 80's:

The Meatmen

Dead Milkmen

Dead Kennedys

Circle Jerks

You're confusing American Hardcore with punk.

Apart from the DK's.

Circle Jerks and Meatmen for Hardcore, the others no. And really Circle Jerks were the in between of punk and hardcore, like Black Flag where Keith Morris originated.

While Yngwie can play very quickly I frankly get very tired of his playing after a few songs because it gets boring quick.

I would and can listen to Ritchie Blackmore all day long in Deep Purple or Rainbow. I cannot listen to Blackmore's night. I cannot listen to Smoke on the Water but always like hearing how Blackmore came up with the riff. I cannot listen to other guitarists play Ritchie Blackmore riffs.

I think Buckethead is a interesting new guitarist. He's very technical, very quick and a very clean player as far as shredders go. Some of his youtube GNR's video's are pretty cool to watch.

If you want early shredding you should get a Dale cd. Beach and surfing music but if you listen the guy tears it up.

I saw Randy Rhodes in Ozzy, awesome guitar player.

I've seen Eddie Van Halen on their 2nd Album tour at the Palladium in NY, again, awesome guitar player.

I've seen Rik Emmett of Triumph who I think is a very good guitarist. Not a big fan of their lyrics but Rock and Roll Machine is a great song if you want something to wake up to.

I think Dave Murray of Iron Maiden was a very very good guitarist. Listen to Sign of the Cross. I've seen Iron Maiden open for Judas Priest. Between the 2 guitar teams Iron Maiden was hands above Judas Priest.

To me I've always loved a great guitar player. That's why I was not a big fan of grunge because I thought guitar players stopped learning how to play and just played a few chords. I also think that you could feel the players personality through his chord choices when he played. That's why I never thought replacements covered originals very well.

Black Label Society shreds,Zakk Wylde is awesome.I love all his work with Ozzy.

I met Zakk last year at a meet n greet House of Blues, Myrtle Beach, SC. What a cool down to Earth guy. Randy Rhoads, Jimmy Page and Zakk are my personal Favs. Zakk has a lot of slow stuff also which I think are his best. Very tasteful.