• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Selling Rule #1

1,007 posts in this topic

At the Reed New York show I was at my booth giving a customer some prices on books he was interested in.

Doug Schmell of Pedigreecomics.com sees my customer, comes over and hands him and I a sale sheet of books he has for sale.

This is while I am speaking to my customer giving him prices.

My customer looks at the list and tells Doug the only book he would be interested in would be the Strange Tales #105 9.4.

Doug then reaches into his briefcase and places the book on top of my boxes for my customer to check out.

He looks at the book while I'm still trying to give him all of my best prices on the books he's interested in.

My customer tells me and Doug that he is waiting for a call from his secretary.

My customer leaves.

Doug is still in front of my booth.

I tell Doug and I quote "Don't ever do ing business at my booth again"

Doug seems a little surprised. He quickly gives me a "I'm sorry".

I then ask him if he would like to give me $100 for doing business at my booth.

He proceeds to tell me that he doesn't have to give me $100. I remind him that I paid to setup at the show.

I could tell that Doug doesn't really feel he did something wroing so I told him that if he thought what he did was ok he should walk around the show and ask other dealers. I told him that somebody else might have punched him in the face. He basically told me that probably wouldn't have happened.

He then states that this has nothing to do with my customer, that I'm still pissed off that he got first look at the Greg Reece collection.

I state again that this has nothing to do with the Greg Reece books and to not do business at my booth ever again. He comes back with "I said I'm sorry" and that he was leaving soon and might have missed dealing with the guy. I told him I didn't care what his time schedule was and that if he had business to do with the buy it was in the aisle or somewhere else.

Doug's last comment to me which basically states that he doesn't give a rats about anything I just said was "Was there anyting on the list you were interested in".

I told him to take the list and shove it.

If any new sellers aren't clear about this rule let me state it again.

Don't ever do your selling business at a dealers booth.

Bob,

(1) You are 100% right.

(2) I bet you the 100 bucks that Schmell owes you that you didn't say "ing."

Or

Fudging,

Flipping,

Frakking,

and

Fricking,

That's really Bob. Someone who's really sorry would have realized the transgression and given you a cut of the deal with the guy (even if it was completed later) or offered the cash as an apology before you could ask for it.

Only thing I can think of that's worse is when another dealer at the same show you are set up at buys a book that was stolen from you at that show and that you told him was stolen before he bought it and then refuses to return it to you. I had that happen once.

Some guys see dollar signs and all ethics head for the nearest exit.

Honestly, I'm surprised that you let him do that there at all - a simple "Hey, do you mind?" could have kept it civil and put him in his place a bit.

Not that I speak of experience or anything - but someone butting into another person's business and interrupting is rude and worth calling them out on in a polite, non-confrontation way - even if it's a complete stranger.

Leopard. Spots.

Probably doesn't help that a lot of buyers really don't care what he did/does as long as he has the books they need.

Hmmmm, Schmell is a classless jerk. I guess that it's not exactly :news:

The fact that he didn't see why you were pee'd off with him just says it all.

I long ago decided never to do business with Pedigree (due to the disbarrment/malfeasance as a conservator/gaurdian in his past). I am so sorry that this happened to you Bob, but it certainly continues to validate my stance to avoid that 'nozzle.

damn [ex-]lawyers.

Disbarred lawyer, Counselor. Don't want the uninformed thinking good ol' Doug just decided to hang 'em up and be a funny book dealer.