• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Selling Rule #1

1,007 posts in this topic

Just read the post--Comic Collectiing 101. This falls under stuff you learn when you're 13. You don't offer to buy anything brought to a dealers booth (and hope the seller walks away so you can pounce), and you don't buy from someone else at a dealers booth.

He's only pretending to be surprised/oblivious to hide the fact that he doesn't give a ratsass.

Or a light kick to the ear lobe? (Roy style) ;)

Bob, really sorry to hear that happened to you.

That should never happen and he deserved your thrashing. Anyone who s with my business is going to have to answer to me quickly.

Doesn't he post here?

cgc_award.jpg

I'd say so...

:whistle:

Where's your Forumite of the Year award? (shrug)

It's right here on my desk...

I am using as a coaster.

It does a damn good job too - not a single spot of condensation

reaches my work papers.

(thumbs u

Doug is a classy guy. Here is another true story (names and details redacted).

I slab a key book, it comes back in a very high grade. In that grade it's worth five figures. I show it to a dealer who agrees to approach a customer about selling it at a certain price. In the meantime, Doug gets wind of the book I have and also approaches the same customer. He represents that he owns the book and would trade or sell it for a number slightly higher than my asking price. Customer is rightfully confused. Keep in mind that:

1. I don't know Doug. At all. Never talked to him or did business with him in my life.

2. He had never seen or touched the book, let alone owned it.

A real gem he is.

Anyone have a pic of this guy?

DR.X

6th post in this thread. Guy in light blue shirt.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5155674&fpart=1

Looks like a trustworthy guy.....j/k

116554.jpg.b41e58caf6153ce2d3958d2f3b472371.jpg

Doesn't he post here?

cgc_award.jpg

I'd say so...

I am using as a coaster.

reaches my work papers.

(thumbs u

Ah, then I guess both awards carry about the same amount of weight?

Doesn't he post here?
Yes. 99% of which is in the Seller's advertising forum. The other 1% is explaining why Pedigree sales are real and not faked to inflate GPA or shill someone.

But what about this scenario....

I'm rummaging through bargain boxes...I hit an awesome book wayyyyyyy underpriced for $2 or $5 or whatever... but upon further examination there's a moisture stain on the back/clipped coupon/missing page...something that kills the book. I put it back.

Guy/gal to my left hits that book 5 minutes later after I have waddled over to the right and hit some other boxes...he/she gets excited and pulls the book for his/her pile. Karma says I should give him/her a head's up to make an informed decision and look at the page/interior, but aren't I potentially losing a sale for the dealer in doing so..disparaging his stuff in his place of business...it's not like he's trying to pass of a counterfeit or a fake signature, just a beater on the cheap.

Personally I just wouldn't say anything unless it's a clear case of deception. In this case it's a comic in the cheap bin. The buyer didn't do his due diligence, thought he was getting a steal, and instead paid fair market value. Why interfere?

Ok, let's say we're in a 3 for $100 box, at first blush it looks like a $200 copy...with the defect a $5-10 copy? I'm a good samaratin type and would give someone a head's up in all situations..dunno why a comic booth is sacred soil...

Doug is a classy guy. Here is another true story (names and details redacted).

I slab a key book, it comes back in a very high grade. In that grade it's worth five figures. I show it to a dealer who agrees to approach a customer about selling it at a certain price. In the meantime, Doug gets wind of the book I have and also approaches the same customer. He represents that he owns the book and would trade or sell it for a number slightly higher than my asking price. Customer is rightfully confused. Keep in mind that:

1. I don't know Doug. At all. Never talked to him or did business with him in my life.

2. He had never seen or touched the book, let alone owned it.

A real gem he is.

Anyone have a pic of this guy?

DR.X

6th post in this thread. Guy in light blue shirt.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5155674&fpart=1

Looks like a trustworthy guy.....j/k

His arms are of the extreme breadstick nature. He really looks like a T-Rex to me..

Doesn't he post here?

cgc_award.jpg

I'd say so...

I am using as a coaster.

reaches my work papers.

(thumbs u

do you want it?

Just simply wipe the coffee and coke zero stains off of it and

it will be good a new - honest...

(thumbs u

But what about this scenario....

I'm rummaging through bargain boxes...I hit an awesome book wayyyyyyy underpriced for $2 or $5 or whatever... but upon further examination there's a moisture stain on the back/clipped coupon/missing page...something that kills the book. I put it back.

Guy/gal to my left hits that book 5 minutes later after I have waddled over to the right and hit some other boxes...he/she gets excited and pulls the book for his/her pile. Karma says I should give him/her a head's up to make an informed decision and look at the page/interior, but aren't I potentially losing a sale for the dealer in doing so..disparaging his stuff in his place of business...it's not like he's trying to pass of a counterfeit or a fake signature, just a beater on the cheap.

Personally I just wouldn't say anything unless it's a clear case of deception. In this case it's a comic in the cheap bin. The buyer didn't do his due diligence, thought he was getting a steal, and instead paid fair market value. Why interfere?

Ok, let's say we're in a 3 for $100 box, at first blush it looks like a $200 copy...with the defect a $5-10 copy? I'm a good samaratin type and would give someone a head's up in all situations..dunno why a comic booth is sacred soil...

If I was blinded by the book or the deal, I would like it if someone gave me a heads up. I would like to think that I would do the same. (shrug)

I would take this opportunity to make an example of him...

Make a large sign to place at the booth that reads:

"DEALERS: DO NOT SELL TO MY CUSTOMERS WHILE THEY'RE AT MY BOOTH!

This especially goes for you Doug!"

Nothing like a nice dose of humiliation to set things right!

:insane:

Doesn't he post here?

cgc_award.jpg

I'd say so...

I am using as a coaster.

reaches my work papers.

(thumbs u

do you want it?

Just simply wipe the coffee and coke zero stains off of it and

it will be good a new - honest...

(thumbs u

No, but JC might be interested in it.

Well I have to say this is pretty bad, Bob I'm surprised you didn't go over the table after him. Perhaps Doug is finally feeling the pinch as people put his auctions on ignore for the most part?

Its getting harder and harder to find a dealer that hasn't screwed over someone at some point, so many horror stories its sad.

Well I have to say this is pretty bad, Bob I'm surprised you didn't go over the table after him. Perhaps Doug is finally feeling the pinch as people put his auctions on ignore for the most part?

Its getting harder and harder to find a dealer that hasn't screwed over someone at some point, so many horror stories its sad.

Punishment horror story set.

Bob told me this story in person at the show on Sunday morning. A lot of it is lost in translation to text.

seriously tho, some people just don't have common sense and or common courtesy.

just because they collect and sell funny books doesn't mean they're aware of their surroundings.