• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Selling Rule #1

1,007 posts in this topic

There's a lot cut throat pepole in the comic book business...doug's not alone.

As a disbarred lawyer who stole from 80+ year old grandmothers...I think he might be.

i think he may have gotten the boot even if she was childless.

Last year in NYC, I was helping a friend at his booth for a bit. Doug came inside the booth (my friend was still there) and he picked out two books and asked my friend to HOLD the books....he'd be right back with a check.

This was Friday...

Sunday, he still had not remembered to come back and when he was reminded, he denied every saying anything...but I was a witness.

Not someone I'd want to donate a kidney to, don't understand why people run to buy anything from him.

Sorry this happened to you, Bob....I think you showed great restraint. :foryou: .

I am familiar with this story. The friend was eventually paid.

I could tell that Doug doesn't really feel he did something wrong... [/b]

This.

Doug has proven in the past - and clearly continues to prove - that he has no grasp of right or wrong.

I've upset people by stating this before, but if you're still doing business with him, you're part of the problem and you need to have a word with yourself.

This is so very true.

This.

Doug has proven in the past - and clearly continues to prove - that he has no grasp of right or wrong.

I've upset people by stating this before, but if you're still doing business with him, you're part of the problem and you need to have a word with yourself.

But he has books people want :ohnoez:

The truth is, he doesn't really have the high grade books he used to. You can infer any cause you want for this.

This.

The truth is, he doesn't really have the high grade books he used to. You can infer any cause you want for this.

I forgive you..

Do any dealers put up that little sign that says "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" at shows? And if you do display it, how often have you had to enforce it?

I wouldnt use the sign, I would just tell you that you are not welcome at my booth.

Do any dealers put up that little sign that says "we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" at shows? And if you do display it, how often have you had to enforce it?

They wouldn't have to display such a sign to have that right. You just don't see many dealers who will refuse to sell to any particular person. Doug has money. Doug will be able to buy books. Doug will sell books. People will continue to buy books from Doug.

This.

I forgive you..

You give yourself too much credit,

This.

I forgive you..

You give yourself too much credit,

I was just funnin' :sorry:

At the Reed New York show I was at my booth giving a customer some prices on books he was interested in.

Doug Schmell of Pedigreecomics.com sees my customer, comes over and hands him and I a sale sheet of books he has for sale.

This is while I am speaking to my customer giving him prices.

My customer looks at the list and tells Doug the only book he would be interested in would be the Strange Tales #105 9.4.

Doug then reaches into his briefcase and places the book on top of my boxes for my customer to check out.

He looks at the book while I'm still trying to give him all of my best prices on the books he's interested in.

My customer tells me and Doug that he is waiting for a call from his secretary.

My customer leaves.

Doug is still in front of my booth.

I tell Doug and I quote "Don't ever do ing business at my booth again"

Doug seems a little surprised. He quickly gives me a "I'm sorry".

I then ask him if he would like to give me $100 for doing business at my booth.

He proceeds to tell me that he doesn't have to give me $100. I remind him that I paid to setup at the show.

I could tell that Doug doesn't really feel he did something wroing so I told him that if he thought what he did was ok he should walk around the show and ask other dealers. I told him that somebody else might have punched him in the face. He basically told me that probably wouldn't have happened.

He then states that this has nothing to do with my customer, that I'm still pissed off that he got first look at the Greg Reece collection.

I state again that this has nothing to do with the Greg Reece books and to not do business at my booth ever again. He comes back with "I said I'm sorry" and that he was leaving soon and might have missed dealing with the guy. I told him I didn't care what his time schedule was and that if he had business to do with the buy it was in the aisle or somewhere else.

Doug's last comment to me which basically states that he doesn't give a rats about anything I just said was "Was there anyting on the list you were interested in".

I told him to take the list and shove it.

If any new sellers aren't clear about this rule let me state it again.

Don't ever do your selling business at a dealers booth.

I had the displeasure of watching this event first hand as I was helping Bob out on Saturday at his booth. I was actually very impressed Bob kept his cool, he blasted Doug verbally with some expletives.....I told Bob numerous times I would have just decked him.

I can only speak for myself, but what really bothered me the most is his complete denial or lack of awareness he did something wrong. The guy is a first grade AHOLE and for the record if he was leaving on Saturday and needed to talk to Bob's client why was he there Sunday looking at original art. Someone posted it best a leopard never losses it's spots

There is an extreme type of narcissism that makes it impossible for the offending narcissist to even think of doing anything other than whatever is on his or her mind that will benefit him or her in the short run. You can hear it in the response - "This might be my only chance to do business with this person." Good times.

I think this bears repeating.

Sad to hear Bob but I do appreciate you informing others about this guy. I personally do my best to avoid doing business with such individuals. I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and buy from dealers who are good guys/gals, and take care of their customers. Loyalty is important in my opinion and you have to give it to those that have earned it...even if it costs a few bucks here or there.

he's so completely self-absorbed

This.

There is an extreme type of narcissism that makes it impossible for the offending narcissist to even think of doing anything other than whatever is on his or her mind that will benefit him or her in the short run. You can hear it in the response - "This might be my only chance to do business with this person." Good times.

I have seen this type of thing at shows before - especially when people are selling books - and someone in a nearby booth hollers over "Don't sell until you show them to me." But this one takes the cake.

This reminds me of someone.