• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Selling Rule #1

1,007 posts in this topic

After consulting with my attorney it was recommended that I not punch people in the face.

However I was given a pretty funny response by another good dealer friend.

He said if Doug had put down the book at his booth on top of his boxes he would have picked it up and thrown it in the aisle.

I said I wish I would have thought of that.

The picture of Doug's face as the book went sailing into the aisle would have been priceless :devil:

I would have and have done that. Not under the same circumstances mind you.

When I was in the Navy, I flew into O'Hare to get to the Naval Training Center, north of Chicago. As I was walking thru the very busy terminal, this guy comes up to me and hands me a book. He was dressed in a suit, so, I didn't think anything odd about it. He says "I want to give you this book as a gift". I say thanks and start walking off. He comes after me and says that I need to donate some money to him (it was $5 or $10 or so). I looked at the book and it is a Hare Krishna propaganda book. I told him that he said the book was a gift. He replied "only if you give me the money" and if not he wanted the book back. Well, like I said it was a very busy terminal, so, i pitched the book into the crowd and walked off. I bet he is still looking for it.

I thought you were going to say you punched him in the face. :insane:

That would have been next, if he kept bothering me. I had quite a nasty temper in my younger days.

I have seen guys do that before at shows and it really makes me not happy..

Due to the heinous infractions of being a doosh bag, snaking sales,robbing little old ladies,most likely dreaming about stealing comic books from small children..

I am willing to offer my con "kick to the nads" services to Bob for free..Next time I see this "Doug" he will be getting a kick to the nads..no explanation or anything..just an "accidental" racking..

Hopefully someone will catch it on film and Flee can animate it for ya'll...

Heck he is such a doosh I may give him the "accidental racking while trying to apologise for the first accidental racking"

But don't tell Doug..it will be much harder for me to claim it was an accident if he knows it was planned in advance..I wouldn't want him taking legal action against me..of course I don't think it would matter..

The courts would surely believe me over an old lady robbing,conversion criminal, customer poaching, SOB who has been disbarred..

After consulting with my attorney it was recommended that I not punch people in the face.

However I was given a pretty funny response by another good dealer friend.

He said if Doug had put down the book at his booth on top of his boxes he would have picked it up and thrown it in the aisle.

I said I wish I would have thought of that.

The picture of Doug's face as the book went sailing into the aisle would have been priceless :devil:

I would have and have done that. Not under the same circumstances mind you.

When I was in the Navy, I flew into O'Hare to get to the Naval Training Center, north of Chicago. As I was walking thru the very busy terminal, this guy comes up to me and hands me a book. He was dressed in a suit, so, I didn't think anything odd about it. He says "I want to give you this book as a gift". I say thanks and start walking off. He comes after me and says that I need to donate some money to him (it was $5 or $10 or so). I looked at the book and it is a Hare Krishna propaganda book. I told him that he said the book was a gift. He replied "only if you give me the money" and if not he wanted the book back. Well, like I said it was a very busy terminal, so, i pitched the book into the crowd and walked off. I bet he is still looking for it.

lol I hate that here is a gift to explain the good word to you..that will be $5..whaa? As a gift you are robbing me of $5..what kind of gift is that..

It's really too bad collectors of all stripes behave like addicts.

In the real world, people who act like this are blacklisted, and driven out, unless they show serious and consistent signs of remorse and repentance.

Dealers are just a couple levels below Justin Bieber...

"OMG OMG OMG!!!! YOU HAVE AMAZING FANTASY #15!!!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!"

screaming-fan.jpg

I was at a show (non comic book)once where a well known dealer died on the convention floor of a massive heart attack. His friends helped pack his stuff and deliver it to his mother's house. A lot of people gathered there to pay respects and comfort his mom. The guy was older but still. It was sad he was a fairly nice old dude and everyone felt bad for his Mom because he took care of her and stuff.

Some of us brought her food, or offered a shoulder or help.

Except one doosh bag. He shows up with a few of us still hanging around. At the front door he hugs her (like fake and totally I don't know just a fake hug) Tells her he is soooo sorry about her son..and how they were very very close (not) and how her son would have wanted him to have all his stuff. He has a truck and will load it all up right then so she doesn't have to look at it because he is sure it would make her sad to look at her son's stuff day after day reminding her of his sad passing etc..Of course the people there non politely ushered him out and offered to break off a piece of furniture in one of his orfices if he showed back up..then we basically picketed his every booth and discouraged anyone from buying anything from him or selling him anything..dirt bag..

Sounds like something Doug would do..showing up at a grieving mom's house and trying to snake her son's comic books..

At the Reed New York show I was at my booth giving a customer some prices on books he was interested in.

Doug Schmell of Pedigreecomics.com sees my customer, comes over and hands him and I a sale sheet of books he has for sale.

This is while I am speaking to my customer giving him prices.

My customer looks at the list and tells Doug the only book he would be interested in would be the Strange Tales #105 9.4.

Doug then reaches into his briefcase and places the book on top of my boxes for my customer to check out.

He looks at the book while I'm still trying to give him all of my best prices on the books he's interested in.

My customer tells me and Doug that he is waiting for a call from his secretary.

My customer leaves.

Doug is still in front of my booth.

I tell Doug and I quote "Don't ever do ing business at my booth again"

Doug seems a little surprised. He quickly gives me a "I'm sorry".

I then ask him if he would like to give me $100 for doing business at my booth.

He proceeds to tell me that he doesn't have to give me $100. I remind him that I paid to setup at the show.

I could tell that Doug doesn't really feel he did something wroing so I told him that if he thought what he did was ok he should walk around the show and ask other dealers. I told him that somebody else might have punched him in the face. He basically told me that probably wouldn't have happened.

He then states that this has nothing to do with my customer, that I'm still pissed off that he got first look at the Greg Reece collection.

I state again that this has nothing to do with the Greg Reece books and to not do business at my booth ever again. He comes back with "I said I'm sorry" and that he was leaving soon and might have missed dealing with the guy. I told him I didn't care what his time schedule was and that if he had business to do with the buy it was in the aisle or somewhere else.

Doug's last comment to me which basically states that he doesn't give a rats about anything I just said was "Was there anyting on the list you were interested in".

I told him to take the list and shove it.

If any new sellers aren't clear about this rule let me state it again.

Don't ever do your selling business at a dealers booth.

I've had this happen to me at a show (not Doug). It's extremely aggravating and shows a total lack of respect for a fellow dealer.

I've usually found a polite response is often the way to handle awkward situations like this.

Use the opportunity to introduce your customer to Doug Schmell, a former lawyer disbarred for financial misconduct in the handling of his clients funds and who has admitted to falsifying financial data related to his comic book sales. I'm sure customer would appreciate your thoughtfulness.

I've usually found a polite response is often the way to handle awkward situations like this.

Use the opportunity to introduce your customer to Doug Schmell, a former lawyer disbarred for financial misconduct in the handling of his clients funds and who has admitted to falsifying financial data related to his comic book sales. I'm sure customer would appreciate your thoughtfulness.

A fine introduction. Is this Scmell in the photo? If so, he looks like an older Ryan Elliott. And anyone coming to a show doing business like this should get tossed or get a table.

116563.jpg.fb0fc8662b7cfa273ebb646457da1a5d.jpg

A fine introduction. Is this Scmell in the photo? If so, he looks like an older Ryan Elliott. And anyone coming to a show doing business like this should get tossed or get a table.

Is it just me or does he have a sweater tied around his waist like a girl???

Bob,

How about listing some of your items for sale in Doug's thread for his November Auction? It's in the eBay sales forum....

That could be interesting.... :wishluck:

Now that is a fine idea..lol but you know anyone in defense of Bob should post a few items too..I mean if it is good for him to do it..it must be fine for everyone right??