• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foolkiller's NYCC Con Report and Other Musings

18 posts in this topic

I've been pretty busy buying collections and traveling the country for my real job. I attended the NYCC this weekend (well actually Thursday and Friday) and today flew to make another buy.

Before I left, I was able to purchase this sweet book from Greg Reece, a BB 28 CGC 7.5 -- very nice.

bb28cgckeeper.jpg

This NYCC, I had to be on a tighter schedule. My wife was in LA for a conference, and so I would have to watch the little one solo. However, my in laws wanted to take my son for a few days, so they took him Wednesday night, Thursday and Friday. I drove up Wednesday night with my friend Mary Ann. We stayed at the Westin which was lovely -- but expensive even by NY standards.

Got my badge very early Thursday. This con I did not intend to do much buying. I bought about $10k worth of stuff a few days earlier with some killer high grade DCs and Marvels... like these:

BB85-1.jpg

In fact, my travel was so heavy that I didn't even have time to process the buys I had made the week before that in Chicago, which were some killer books courtesy of Chicago Comics found at some very nice prices!

WW163.jpg

WW168.jpg

SA213.jpg

With all the buying being done, I was burned out by the time I got to NY, and with a collection to look at Monday, I was not inspired to buy. I wandered the floor and said hello to a number of folks and boardies. Enjoyed chatting with everyone -- and lots of brand new stuff. Joe Verenault had a beautiful Hulk 1, Bats 227 9.8 and other super high grade slabs. Al Stoltz brought some really high grade Marvels. Ted had boxes of new stuff including a collection I'll get to later. Richie Muchin apparently brought some boxes of high grade inventory he had been holding which were all pedigrees. There was literally tons of stuff in the room including Gator and Filter's booth, Bob Storms', Metro's incredible inventory, Harley, Dave Kapelka, Dale Roberts etc. All of them brought strong new inventory.

Thursday brought a lot of looking. I stopped when Ted told me he was bringing high grade DC/Marvels he just picked up and I would be very excited to see them.

Lots of media etc. that others have done a better job than I in reporting. Picked up a killer piece from Buzz recreating Batman 232 cover.

Bought some t-shirts. Bought some Bowen statues as well.

Had dinner Thursday night with a large group including Dave Miller, Dave Matteini, Gene Park, Beach Bum, Jeff (Hot Flips), Tom Gordon and his fiancee Brianna, Roy and Louise, Mary Ann, Peter Bilelis, Brian Farracci and John Skoulides. Great time with everyone. Friday and Monday in the next post.

Friday was another interesting day, had to wake up at 6:00 AM for a conference call. Couldn't stay until even Saturday morning, as I had to drive back Friday to get my son early Saturday.

Ted asked everyone to come by 8:15/8:30 AM, and by the time I arrived a few people were already milling about his booth. More came later on. Ted needed some time to get set up, and at 11 AM a feeding frenzy ensued. Loads of high grade pre hero Marvels, half a short box of high grade Marvels (including a Hulk 1), and DCs, which I got first crack at. The JLA 1 was a great book. Snapped it up immediately -- just a stunner, unfortunately, no scan because it is already being sent in for grading.

However, I snagged a small stack including these beauties:

BB25.jpg

WW105.jpg

Bought some other GLs out of the collection, then held back given the impending Monday buy.

Friday was jammed packed. Aisles were clear for the most part in the dealer area, but as the day wore on, it definitely got a little tighter. Friday didn't seem to be a "great" day for the dealers, but by Saturday/Sunday, I heard they more than made up for it.

I am amazed at the video games, multi-media etc. that's there. I particularly love some of the cool products you can get that you just don't see at other cons. The artist area was awesome, and I wish I could have spent more time there. To me, there was something for every comic fan.

I left the show around closing, at some dinner, and headed home.

Saturday and Sunday I spent watching football and hanging with my little dude.

Today, up at 5:30 AM. Boarded a plane, landed, had a drive. Was rewarded by finding this:

FF5.jpg

ST104.jpg

ST135-1.jpg

TOS41.jpg

TOS42.jpg

TOS48.jpg

TOS58.jpg

The weekend was great... today was spectacular and this buy was well worth the wait. I enjoyed NYCC differently than a buying show only. Seeing the vendors, seeing the artists, and experiencing the show as more than just a buying experience made this a relaxing and fun convention.

I think it could be a 9.4 with a press. Solid 9.2 to me. Ted sells almost everything raw.

Wow. You are going to kill it on this book if it comes back 9.2 or higher. (worship)

Yep. The one and only CGC 9.2 (currently top census) sold for $10,000.

Great books, Brian. That Brave and the Bold #25 is the one that impresses me the most. Probably the hardest 10c silver age DC to find in high grade.

I`m equally impressed by the WW 105. That is one tough book.

Great books, Brian. That Brave and the Bold #25 is the one that impresses me the most. Probably the hardest 10c silver age DC to find in high grade.

I`m equally impressed by the WW 105. That is one tough book.

YEP , me likey the WW 105 also. Toughie

Yawn, another Brian flies around in his private jet and buys another collection thread.

Only kidding, very very nice books.

Brian is the only guy who when he calls and I'm watching a football game or TV show makes me work again.

God forbid I take a break with this guy around.

:acclaim: