• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Article on Investing in Comic Books

101 posts in this topic

The future is in Legos my friends. My son spends hours with those things and he worships the mini-figures. Check the going rate for Jango Fett on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Jango-Fett-LEGO-Star-Figure/dp/B001BMM482/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1318998100&sr=8-14

That's not a set, it's one figure.

There is a flaw with your logic. This figure and set it came from, has never been re-released by Lego. All the other sets that receive re-releases; the value has dropped significantly, unless it has a variant figure that is in demand.

Number two; this is mainly due to the fact that Lego is still producing Star Wars sets. Let's see what happens after the license expires; that will be the true test.

In conclusion, many people are stock piling new sets like extra food. This doesn't bode well for a collectible that few people are supposed to 'invest in' or know about. How long has the new death star been out now? It will rise in value, but not by much, and once you open it, the value has dropped significantly...

The same can be said for video games. I am a major part time dealer of video games on eBay and I do 'dabble' in Lego Star Wars...

I have written many guides and articles on all these issues. If anyone would like more info, rather than derail this thread; just PM me...

I enjoy the collectibles hobby and business and have been active within them for many years.

Yes you make good points, but I think your underestimating short-term investing. With videogames and legos if your not into this short-term than your leaving a lot of money on the table now. Your right that most of the legos will end up like 1990s comic and baseball cards,but right now they are huge cash cows. I would say you probally could make more money flipping Legos and videogames over the next 5 years than if you decided to purchase a few keys(pressed or non-pressed) now then decided to flip in the same period. An example is the new death star. With this you can make some cash now by flipping it,and use the profits on that to invest for something else. So in conclusion the legos will not be a great long term investment, but right now they are liquid as it can be for a collectable. 2c

Did you miss the part where I stated I am a MAJOR part time dealer of these items? I already do this!

The future is in Legos my friends. My son spends hours with those things and he worships the mini-figures. Check the going rate for Jango Fett on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Jango-Fett-LEGO-Star-Figure/dp/B001BMM482/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1318998100&sr=8-14

That's not a set, it's one figure.

There is a flaw with your logic. This figure and set it came from, has never been re-released by Lego. All the other sets that receive re-releases; the value has dropped significantly, unless it has a variant figure that is in demand.

Number two; this is mainly due to the fact that Lego is still producing Star Wars sets. Let's see what happens after the license expires; that will be the true test.

In conclusion, many people are stock piling new sets like extra food. This doesn't bode well for a collectible that few people are supposed to 'invest in' or know about. How long has the new death star been out now? It will rise in value, but not by much, and once you open it, the value has dropped significantly...

The same can be said for video games. I am a major part time dealer of video games on eBay and I do 'dabble' in Lego Star Wars...

I have written many guides and articles on all these issues. If anyone would like more info, rather than derail this thread; just PM me...

I enjoy the collectibles hobby and business and have been active within them for many years.

Yes you make good points, but I think your underestimating short-term investing. With videogames and legos if your not into this short-term than your leaving a lot of money on the table now. Your right that most of the legos will end up like 1990s comic and baseball cards,but right now they are huge cash cows. I would say you probally could make more money flipping Legos and videogames over the next 5 years than if you decided to purchase a few keys(pressed or non-pressed) now then decided to flip in the same period. An example is the new death star. With this you can make some cash now by flipping it,and use the profits on that to invest for something else. So in conclusion the legos will not be a great long term investment, but right now they are liquid as it can be for a collectable. 2c

Did you miss the part where I stated I am a MAJOR part time dealer of these items? I already do this!

You said that mldynes logic about the future is in Legos was flawed . I stated maybe long-term I agree with you,but short term over the next 5 years mldynes logic is not flawed. :baiting:

Video gamers may be different as that`s a whole different ballgame from legos. ;)

I guess all this GA I'm buying is headed for the crapper.

I'm banking on the GA as inherently cool to collectors of many ages and sufficiently scarce to sustain it indefinitely as a good investment. As long as it is either:

1. Good or provocative art; or

2. A mainstream character of today

IMO the supply/demand ratio will always be good. And as an investment much more stable than books of other eras. As someone who doesn't have time to turn over books with the frequnency necessary to be successful buying and selling SA/BA/CA or moderns, I need books I can hold.

Well if you are buying great material then no one is saying its headed for the crapper but you're not going to get rich off it either. let's say it goes up 5% a year, you hold it for 5 years, and you incur 10% selling costs when its all said and done. You did OK, and you parked your money in a safe spot, but you didn't exactly make out a bandit either. (Hey at least it was more fun than a GIC even if the return was similar).

You made $15k on selling magic cards and bought a superman 1 with them? That is somewhat hard to believe.

Where did you sell 15k of cards and then buy a superman 1 for 15k?

Why would it be hard to believe? Some Magic cards go for huge money.

you can use one of the big-boys in the Magic space - Starcitygames.com, ChannelFireball.com or TrollandToad.com, but I'm not sure you'll get a realistic pricing feel this way

Try something like TCGPlayer, it's more of an aggregate pricing site, you can get a feel for high to low pricing for cards

Thanks! Bit of a learning curve to climb but there does appear to be quite a bit of dealer potential here.

There is. I've been playing since early 1994. I flip cards all the time. But it's pretty easy, because I play as well and love the game. Best bet is to keep tabs on the differences in tourneys, and you'll start to recognize a trend. They (Wizards of the Coast) just introduced a new format to the game called "Modern" and those prices jumped by 3-4 times in regards to certain cards. My advice to you would be ask the players, as they usually know what cards will improve over time.

Btw, I just received my 1st set of grading. I figured I'd give Beckett a try and see what it was like, all high end Beta Power 9.

This is what I got back today. I'm at my shop, but I can go home and scan because I'm pretty thrilled with them:

Beta Mox Sapphire - 9 mint

Beta Mox Ruby - 9 mint

Beta Timetwister - 9 mint

Alpha Ancestral Recall - 8.5 nm/mt

I sent them in basically to see if I'd hit the 10 homerun, but I'm pretty happy bout these grades. I haven't played Vintage in almost 2 yrs, so it'll make them easier to sell I suppose and at $21 a card it's worth it in my eyes.

You made $15k on selling magic cards and bought a superman 1 with them? That is somewhat hard to believe.

I spoke before truly knowing how much they went for. Already atoned for my sins...

I spoke before truly knowing how much they went for. Already atoned for my sins...

Yea saw that. (thumbs u. Side note: this series game is pretty good!

yep modern have going up in value many card with no value before the modern format.

I would say MTG,Lego and video games are now experiencing growth as the new hot collectables. All three are in the growing stages similar to comic books in the 1970s to 1990s.

Let me know how this 'theory' works out for you. As a dealer, I have advised against video games as collectibles for years now. Whenever they rerelease a classic game, demand for the original goes down. The Wii Virtual Console caused the value of several games to drop alone. This does not bode well for these games...

Everybody should know that I have been a successful video game dealer or many years and have been a collector for many more. I am sorry, but it is not mainstream, and once a game is rereleased, there is little demand for the original.

Even collecting factory sealed games is a fool's game. Heck, I have boxes of sealed NES games in mint condition and have the opportunity to buy more; people should not be buying these kind of items that have no market cost basis yet. Case in point; most VGA auctions are on Buy It Now items only. This is because whenever they sell these kind of item's on standard auction, the seller gets disappointed as these games are no where near as valuable as some people think and the market will correct itself soon...

Pardon my bad spelling and grammar, as I am on an iPad.

You are welcome to PM me for more information. Thank you...