• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charles Paul Wilson III: The Stuff Of Legend

124 posts in this topic

I met Charles along with writers Mike Raicht and Brian Smith at Baltimore Comicon this year and they sold me on their book. I had heard a bit about it here in the Modern section but until I met these guys I had left it on the back burner. I didn't even know they were at the Con until the last half hour while I was looking to spend a last $20 around the artists alley/ independant section. Long story short, I caught a glimpse of the Jester and make my way over. As luck would have it, the guys were selling a pack of the 6 released issues (some 2nd's, no biggie) for $20. I asked if they would sign the first issue and after a bit of back and forth ("We'll each sign all of them!", "You don't have to do all that, I don't want to hold you up".), they set forth in signing all 6 issues while talking to potential customers with Charles sketching. While that is happening, I take a look through his portfoblio. Everything looks amazing but as I have no knowlege of the characters or story, I don't feel the need to buy anything yet. It's probably obvious by this point that I read and loved the story because I just got my first page in the mail.

This is the art forum and I'm getting to the point but I really wanted to speak about this creative team as a whole. These guys sold me their books with smiles on their faces, going the extra mile to make sure I left happy. Charles continued that when I contacted him to buy a page. I emailed his rep about the availibilty of the page and the rep forwarded this to Charles who then emailed me. He was easy going and also very patient when I took an extra week and a half to decide between two pages I really wanted but couldn't afford both. The decision finally made and the money spent, the package got here about half an hour ago.

The package is a cardboard mailer containing the art, sandwiched between umpteen protective layers of cardboard that was wrapped neatly in brown shipping paper. When I get to the mailer, I pause even though I've been dying to set my eyes on this page. Charles has filled the flat side of the 12x15 mailer with a head sketch of The General from his book. I know I took a long time to get to this but I am just so impressed with this creative teams desire to make their fans happy. Believe me, I am still pouring over my new page (his art is a joy to see in hand) but that sketch is just the coolest thing. If you read this far, thank you for indulging me. If you haven't read The Stuff Of Legend you are missing out. If you have and are interested in Charles art I'll put the link below. You won't be disappointed with your purchase.

Charles Paul Wilson Art

Issue_3_-_PG35_scan.jpg

DSCN3629.jpg

same with me, I have multiple jester sketches on the packaging also. Chuck is top notch as is Vito, Brian and Mike. If you want some other cool reading, try the Pack which came out this week written by Mike and Intrepid Scapegoat by Brian. Both are fun books.

On a side note, The Colonel was my favorite, then the General. I have bad luck with favorite characters from this story.

Of all the comics I'm reading, Charles Paul Wilson III is hands down my favorite artist. His stuff is amazing.

Great page! Congrats. :applause:

I've met the creative team a couple times at shows. Like you said, they are super nice, down to earth, and try to make all their fans happy.

I strongly recommend this book to anyone reading this thread. (thumbs u (thumbs u

Me too. I have a 12" x 12" Jester head sketch on one package. Charles is courteous and immensely talented.

First off great page!! :applause:

My story is very similar..Meet them at Baltimore and picked up the trades..Now I am hooked!! and CPW3 work is some of the best around (worship)

The best part is that they are very friendly and acutally take time to speak with fans

My SOL OA--hope you dont mind me posting in your thread :foryou: (would be nice to have a thread showcasing CPW3 work)

first app of the mayor

2ngesy9.jpg

first app of Monty

2ntabs9.jpg

Nice group shot

2l8hpgi.jpg

Cover to The Jungle Vol: 1- stole Dan's pic..I dont have them framed yet

34talpl.jpg

11vpdew.jpg

The artwork is exceptionally good! :applause: (thumbs u

The guy's great...

I have a few covers from his run and one piece that he did as a commission for me that his editor liked enough to make it a cover.

StuffofLegend2b_09-13-2010_20-21-11.jpg

StuffofLegendFCBD2010_09-13-2010_20-24-35.jpg

BoogeymanTrophyWallfinish72dpi_02-02-2010_19-12-26.jpg