• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 3 Daredevil Story Arcs / Runs

67 posts in this topic

If you're amongst the portion of the boards that likes John Romita jr. then his run with Ann Nocenti would also rank pretty highly #250-282

I enjoyed that run...probably Romita Jr.'s best work in a regular series.

I did as well. I loved Typhoid Mary and Kingpin during that arc. I am partial to this time period anyway as this is around when I first started getting into comics. The great late 80's!

The Bendis/Maleev run (#26-81) was phenomenal. As good as comics get.

But like the JRjr run, you need to be a fan of Maleev/Lark's type of art, otherwise you'll hate it. The Bendis run would've really rocked with a better artist.

For me there's barely a better Daredevil artist than Maleev.

Be that as it may, the comparison to JRjr is still valid - they both have styles that are not the norm and may be considered crap by some, beautiful by others.

Yes! Completely valid. I wasn't discounting your point, I was just giving the big thumbs up to Maleev.

With the exception of Miller :) , this is what I'm gathering from the discussion. Any additional discussion on these?

1. Miller (vol. 1 #158-191, 227-231)

Bendis/Maleev run (vol. 2 #26-81)

Romita Jr./Nocenti (vol. 1 #250-282)

Brubaker (vol. 2 #82 to 119)

Addtionally, I'm curious if you find that any of the issues from the first year or two from vol. 1 were especially important in the character's development? I know for Spidey, I think you miss a LOT of how the character became who he was if one skips over the Ditko years and the first year or so of Jazzy John's run on ASM. Do you find the same for Daredevil?

With the exception of Miller :) , this is what I'm gathering from the discussion. Any additional discussion on these?

Addtionally, I'm curious if you find that any of the issues from the first year or two from vol. 1 were especially important in the character's development? I know for Spidey, I think you miss a LOT of how the character became who he was if one skips over the Ditko years and the first year or so of Jazzy John's run on ASM. Do you find the same for Daredevil?

Taking into account how big Miller's influence on Daredevil was, I'd probably have to say no.

Let's face it, Daredevil (not to mention Matt Murdock) was a completely different character after Frank got his hands on him, and he's pretty much remained in the same vein ever since.

The Bendis/Maleev run (#26-81) was phenomenal. As good as comics get.

But like the JRjr run, you need to be a fan of Maleev/Lark's type of art, otherwise you'll hate it. The Bendis run would've really rocked with a better artist.

For me there's barely a better Daredevil artist than Maleev.

Besides, Miller I would agree.

#26-81 was as good as comics ever got, to me.

The Conway / Colan / Palmer run with DD and the Black Widow (from about 72 - 98) was very good, with great art. Not quite Miller, but definitely worth investigating.

Also Jim Shooter and Gil Kane's run from 146 - 154 was tremendous, with excellent storylines focusing on Bullseye and other worthwhile villains/characters. Very much a forerunner to Miller's tenure, which set the darker, edgier tone of what was to come.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm not really familiar with those runs--what was the general direction they took storywise?

The Conway/Colan run was mainly focused on the relationship between DD and the Widow (this was when DD relocated to San Francisco - hard to believe that he left his natural habitat NYC for any length of time). Quite odd in places, and a bit lightweight (it was of its time), but the dialogue and interaction of the characters was always believable. And Colan, with ace inker Palmer, had reached his zenith as an artist by this point.

Shooter and Kane's remit in their brief run (before McKenzie and Miller took over) was to restore the title to its darker, moodier, less humorous roots, concentrating on his relationship with Heather Glenn and her dad, who was being used by an old villain (Killgrave), as well as developing Bullseye into an arch-villain. The issue (151) in which Heather accidentally discovers DD's identity (which leads DD to crumble into a pit of despair) is a classic and does foreshadow the Born Again storyline, at least to some extent. The series was certainly heading in the direction that Miller would take it under Shooter.

I particularly like the Bob Brown issues (roughly #120's-130's) too for some reason.

Additional discussion on your four choices,

I'd bump Kevin Smith's run to #2, Nocenti to 3, and put Bendis begrudgingly at 4. Keep in mind, I hate Bendis' run on DD, and have long held public, lengthy tirades at his expense.

On your second question, no, it is not nearly as important to read the early issues, but I would still read the first 50 for some sweet Wally Wood, Submariner, Cap and Thor action. And you will get the first encounters with classic baddies like Stilt-Man and The Owl, he said with a straight face.

Additional discussion on your four choices,

I'd bump Kevin Smith's run to #2, Nocenti to 3, and put Bendis begrudgingly at 4. Keep in mind, I hate Bendis' run on DD, and have long held public, lengthy tirades at his expense.

On your second question, no, it is not nearly as important to read the early issues, but I would still read the first 50 for some sweet Wally Wood, Submariner, Cap and Thor action. And you will get the first encounters with classic baddies like Stilt-Man and The Owl, he said with a straight face.

I'll take a look at the Kevin Smith / Quesada issues then too. Since it seems Daredevil *really* began with Miller, I'll probably forgo any of the earlier issues then. I just got back from Barnes and Noble, and it seems the JRJR / Miller "Man Without Fear" issues (1-5) re-explore his origins, and this is pretty integral to what I'm looking into.

Thanks for the continued feedback guys! :headbang:

I think the Man without Fear mini-series was mentioned previously by Chris, but let me add to it.

This mini-series was brought to us courtesy of Frank Miller (writer), John Romita Jr (Penciller), and Al Williamson (inker) and they worked incredibly well to bring us a fantastic expanded DD origin story, and a lot more of the backstory between Matt Murdock and Elektra. It really is a must read.

The Nocenti Daredevils and Miller's 'Man Without Fear' mini-series are the only books with John Romita Jr artwork that I've ever really enjoyed reading. I believe that's also probably a lot to do with Al Williamson's excellent inking.

There are some trade paperback collections available. For example, Daredevil Legends Vol. 4 : Typhoid Mary.

Is the Nocenti/Romita run reprinted in trade format?

I never read "The Man Without Fear" arc (limited series?) I guess maybe I should pick it up in the near future?

I saw it last night at Barnes and Noble for about... $20.

Even acknowledging Miller's influence (esp. with "Angel Dust" and "Born Again"), I'd go with vol. 2 # 26-87 as the best solid run.

In addition, Vol. 2 # 16-19 "Wake Up" was one of my favorite superhero comic stories _ever_, and easily could have belonged in Morrison's Animal Man run or Gaiman's Sandman run.

And I only read the first story from Brubaker's arc (# 82-87), but it was an instant classic, in my book trumping Miller's DD 182-184.

In addition, Vol. 2 # 16-19 "Wake Up" was one of my favorite superhero comic stories _ever_, and easily could have belonged in Morrison's Animal Man run or Gaiman's Sandman run.

Good call, it's overshadowed by Bendis' later work, but that's where he started on the title and it's a great little arc all by itself.

Good call, it's overshadowed by Bendis' later work, but that's where he started on the title and it's a great little arc all by itself.

I'm going to give this another try with my hands open wide.

Wake Up was a very good story. Dare I say, unconventional Bendis. The only thing I didn't like about it was the misuse of Frog Man and his son's continuity. Short of that, it was very good, and I'm glad I gave it a reread at your recommendations. The art was stunning, and reminded me of late eighties, early nineties John J Muth art. David Mack is a talented individual.

Misuse of Frog Man? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Leap Frog hadn't appeared since Daredevil (vol. 1) # 25.

So I gave Bendis mad credit for digging deep into the Daredevil mythology to scare up a minor Silver Age villain in the service of a phenomenal story that (somewhat oddly) appeared in a Daredevil book, rather than say...Batman.

No, in Amazing, mid eighties, there were periodic uses of him and his son, to great comedic effect, and I really enjoyed those issues. That's what I meant by continuity. It was very disjointed to have Leap Frog and his son hopping all over the page just a decade earlier, with his son older, I might add, to become the intense father and son story represented in DD.

It was the only thing taking me out of the story, and a good editor could have fixed that.