• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 3 Daredevil Story Arcs / Runs

67 posts in this topic

The Conway / Colan / Palmer run with DD and the Black Widow (from about 72 - 98) was very good, with great art. Not quite Miller, but definitely worth investigating.

Also Jim Shooter and Gil Kane's run from 146 - 154 was tremendous, with excellent storylines focusing on Bullseye and other worthwhile villains/characters. Very much a forerunner to Miller's tenure, which set the darker, edgier tone of what was to come.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm not really familiar with those runs--what was the general direction they took storywise?

If we're not getting specific about specific story arcs, I'll just point out two recent runs which represent a long, long run of quality:

The Bendis/Maleev run (#26-81) was phenomenal. As good as comics get.

ED Brubaker then took over for a couple of years and managed to keep the string going from #82 to 119.

(It then fell completely off the rails with Andy Diggle and I stopped reading the title for the first time in ten years :sorry:)

If you're amongst the portion of the boards that likes John Romita jr. then his run with Ann Nocenti would also rank pretty highly #250-282

Also Jim Shooter and Gil Kane's run from 146 - 154 was tremendous, with excellent storylines focusing on Bullseye and other worthwhile villains/characters. Very much a forerunner to Miller's tenure, which set the darker, edgier tone of what was to come.

+1

The Shooter / Kane / Janson issues were good books. I continued buying Daredevil 158 onwards because Miller was pencilling in a Kane-like style, and I really liked how well Janson's inks worked over that. Of course, I had no idea that Miller was about to take things to another level entirely, story- and art wise.

The Conway / Colan / Palmer run with DD and the Black Widow (from about 72 - 98) was very good, with great art. Not quite Miller, but definitely worth investigating.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm not really familiar with those runs--what was the general direction they took storywise?

The Conway/Colan run was mainly focused on the relationship between DD and the Widow (this was when DD relocated to San Francisco - hard to believe that he left his natural habitat NYC for any length of time). Quite odd in places, and a bit lightweight (it was of its time), but the dialogue and interaction of the characters was always believable. And Colan, with ace inker Palmer, had reached his zenith as an artist by this point.

Shooter and Kane's remit in their brief run (before McKenzie and Miller took over) was to restore the title to its darker, moodier, less humorous roots, concentrating on his relationship with Heather Glenn and her dad, who was being used by an old villain (Killgrave), as well as developing Bullseye into an arch-villain. The issue (151) in which Heather accidentally discovers DD's identity (which leads DD to crumble into a pit of despair) is a classic and does foreshadow the Born Again storyline, at least to some extent. The series was certainly heading in the direction that Miller would take it under Shooter.

+1

The Shooter / Kane / Janson issues were good books. I continued buying Daredevil 158 onwards because Miller was pencilling in a Kane-like style, and I really liked how well Janson's inks worked over that. Of course, I had no idea that Miller was about to take things to another level entirely, story- and art wise.

I bought DD 158 off the rack at Comic Showcase (this was the point when the Direct Market was about to take off) and didn't notice much of a stylistic shift for the first several issues - DD was already one of my favourite books by that point anyway. The moment when Miller really made his mark with fandom was issue 168, when he started retrofitting DD's backstory, and his style by that point had crystallized.

If you're amongst the portion of the boards that likes John Romita jr. then his run with Ann Nocenti would also rank pretty highly #250-282

I enjoyed that run...probably Romita Jr.'s best work in a regular series.

I've never cared for the Daredevil character at all but I too love this run. JR Jrs stuff wasn't too "out there" at this time. It was moving in that direction but hadn't quite gone all the way there yet.

I enjoyed that run...probably Romita Jr.'s best work in a regular series.

Very underated series.It doesn`t get its just due because it was post-Frank Miller.

I liked Romita's work on Daredevil (I'm in the minority I guess-I like his work), and if I remember correctly, when Tim Sale showed up, that was a pretty good storyline.

Great thread - makes me want to go back and visit my old fave, DD.

If we're not getting specific about specific story arcs, I'll just point out two recent runs which represent a long, long run of quality:

+1

I recently re-read the entire volume 2 of Daredevil and this was the highlight of the entire series. Maleev's dark & moody art is just perfect for a complicated character like Daredevil.

But like the JRjr run, you need to be a fan of Maleev/Lark's type of art, otherwise you'll hate it. The Bendis run would've really rocked with a better artist.

For me there's barely a better Daredevil artist than Maleev.

But like the JRjr run, you need to be a fan of Maleev/Lark's type of art, otherwise you'll hate it. The Bendis run would've really rocked with a better artist.

For me there's barely a better Daredevil artist than Maleev.

Be that as it may, the comparison to JRjr is still valid - they both have styles that are not the norm and may be considered crap by some, beautiful by others.