• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lets try something new

53 posts in this topic

I mainly collect late 1960s to mid 1970s DCs with a current focus on a CGC run of the 100 page giants.

I also collect the non-superhero Marvel bronze titles (War, horror, humour, and romance)

Plus....whatever cool collectibles from the 1970s! cool.gif

I am considering picking up Preacher, since a couple guys have suggested it, and a certain head grader at CGC demanded that I pick up the first volume of the TPB immediately.

Steve is on the money, FFB! Go buy this book ASAP! You will love it!

My interests right now are mostly in art and Modern books (for reading). I've been thinking alot lately about getting away from back issues for the most part. But I still will buy FF's, and get complete runs of Sandman and Miracleman. I'm really digging the art thing right now though and plan on concentrating my comic funds there.

I collect whatever I like. I've had almost everything published by Marvel since 1960 at one time or another, so there's nothing from Marvel that really makes me moist.

Recently I've taken a shine to:

CGC 9.8 FFs 140-175. I'm trying to recapture my misbegotten youth.

ECs, with the eventual goal of having all of them. In order to prevent my wallet from exploding, I do one title at a time. I have a full run of Crime Suspenstories and Shock Suspenstories, and am now working on Haunt of Fear. Condition isn't really important.

Bondage cover Fiction House books, specifically Jungle, Jumbo and Rangers.

Cool Golden Age

I'm starting to get the Bronze Age artwork bug. Like this:

ff180spl.jpg

I am considering picking up Preacher, since a couple guys have suggested it, and a certain head grader at CGC demanded that I pick up the first volume of the TPB immediately.

Steve is on the money, FFB! Go buy this book ASAP! You will love it!

Preacher is one of my favorite comic series of all time- perverse, intelligent, funny, frightening, tragic, uplifting and everything in between.

Ennis could turn into the new Chris Claremont and turn out [!@#%^&^] for the next 25 years and I'd still probably say he was one of the best because of his work on this series.

I collect whatever I like. I've had almost everything published by Marvel since 1960 at one time or another, so there's nothing from Marvel that really makes me moist.

confused.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

confused.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, besides those, obviously. grin.gif

Wow! Nice page Donut! thumbsup2.gif

Ennis could turn into the new Chris Claremont and turn out [!@#%^&^] for the next 25 years and I'd still probably say he was one of the best because of his work on this series.

You're right, Rob. Can't say enough good things about Preacher. It's the book that really got me back into comics a little over 2 years ago. cloud9.gif

confused.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, besides those, obviously. grin.gif

27_laughing.gif

I collect mid-grade Treasure Chest comics!

.... just kidding.....

Don't knock the TC's. I collect um.

Hey I thought this was suppose to be one of those no fighting threads!!!

popcorn.gif

Ok, I don't collect Treasure Chest comics - "not that there is anything wrong with that"....

But, I do like:

- Silver DC Flash, Green Lantern, Atom, JLA, B&B, Showcase, Teen Titans

- Big logo G/A DC

- 50s and 60s Barks ducks

- Weird Science, Weird Fantasy, other 50s sci fi

- a side helping of Big Red Cheese

I really, REALLY wish this was not included in the next Heritage auction -- I will end up either severely depressed or spending way too much money....

Heritage Auction

god, i love that book!!!! ranks right up there in my three favorite books of all time.

i think the Heritage take on what the book meant to the comic hobby is Dead On.

i have my original rack copy but haven't gotten it graded because i used to read it way too much..........(probably a 6.0 - 7.0).

as for my original collection; most all DC and Marvel superhero titles published between 1958 - thru 1964. in the last 2 years i've extended those titles another 10-15 years.

excellent thread, BTW............. thumbsup2.gif

I really, REALLY wish this was not included in the next Heritage auction -- I will end up either severely depressed or spending way too much money....

Heritage Auction

Did you see the horrible miscut on the back?! This is a piece of junk! For the love of all that's holy, no one should bid on this book!!!... PLEASE?! crazy.gif

As my wife of 19 years still thinks my entire comic book collection is stupid (except for my Contact 12), I will refrain from disparaging other people's collections for what they collect, though I still reserve the right to be criticle of some of the behavior in the marketplace for comics.

My own collection is fairly diverse, in terms of grades, eras and genres, and includes pulps and other related ephemera, but the books that drive my interest in comic collecting would be (in no particular order): Undergrounds from 1967 on; Atom Age esoterica with classic covers and stories, especially crime and horror; Classic 1940s covers by L.B. Cole and Schomburg war covers; and new comics by artists and writers I respect (mostly undergrounds, Vertigo, and Dark Horse publications).

My own personal feeling about High Grade books is that if I could afford it, I would buy more HG Gold & Silver, but realizing that I don't really care if the new comics I buy are any better than 9.4 ( I often read them while sitting on the can), I can't see myself ever paying multiples for grades above that, no matter how my fortunes change.